Sleep Quality in Adolescents With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) 2017 Josev et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Cheshire, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Elisha K. Josev; Melinda L. Jackson, Bei Bei, John Trinder, Adrienne Harvey, Cathriona Clarke, Kelli Snodgrass, MD
    Adam Scheinberg, MMed (Clin Epi)

Sarah J. Knight, PhD

Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine

http://jcsm.aasm.org/ViewAbstract.aspx?pid=31079

(Not available yet on Scihub)

Article in Cosmos about this study:
    Chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms confirmed
    https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-symptoms-confirmed

forestglip, Hutan, Andy and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Article in Sleep Review Magazine
    http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2017/12/adolescents-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-sleep-disturbances/

forestglip and Hutan like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

An old study, but still influential I think, driving recommendations for sleep hygiene including forcing a particular sleep onset time and reducing sleep hours in young people with ME/CFS.

From the Cosmos magazine article linked above:

Chronic fatigue syndrome symptoms confirmed
    I don't think identifying that a young person sleeps longer hours than normal or has a delayed sleep onset diagnoses ME/CFS. I suspect that there were biases in the selection of the young people for the control arm - I doubt that the parents of a child with an unusual sleep pattern would sign their child up to be a healthy control in a sleep study, nor do I think that the researchers would have selected them.

We know the child with ME/CFS is ill because their function is affected. This study doesn't answer a more useful question - does their sleep pattern differ from young people with other chronic debilitating illnesses that often prevent school attendance?

Some of these researchers have been involved in a number of other psychopathology-ish studies; they help prop up psycho-behavioural interventions at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne and beyond.

I don't have time to read the paper now, but it could be useful to examine the paper closely.

Wyva, Deanne NZ and forestglip like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had huge problems with falling asleep since the age of 7. It's not as bad now as it used to be, but it used to take me 4+ hours to fall asleep, sometimes even more, especially when I was a teenager. I also had chronic fatigue during that time. Not CFS. Fatigue, chronically. I was still able to function for the most part, just tended to sleep very late on the week-ends and be tired most of the time, but I was still active, did lots of sports and activities.

But I most definitely did not have anything remotely like ME/CFS. In fact I probably had what is the typical model of what the biopsychosocial model of chronic fatigue tries, and fails miserably, to account for. I actually did ask my GP. It was definitely abnormal. But it never interfered much with my life beyond sleep, although I was very (normal) tired at school and didn't study much at home (in part) because of it.

The level of understanding for those issues isn't much more advanced than what the ancient Egyptians knew about the cosmos. There are lights when you look up at the sky at night. They twinkle. Some move fast. Some move slowly. Some move very slowly. Some of those movements are regular. There are different colors. There is the Moon, and there is the Sun. And that's about the gist of what they knew. It can fit in a reasonably-sized paragraph, one page tops. Which is about as substantial as modern medical knowledge about all those chronic health issues. What a waste.

Joan Crawford likes this.