Special Report - Online activists are silencing us, scientists say Reuters March 2019

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not disputing that, it's obvious, but the 'events' you mention were the decisions of others, the free decisions, presumably based on the evidence they were made aware of and the actions of certain people in the BPS coterie seeming out of order, to the people who made the decisions.

PwME didn't silence, or cause to have silenced, anyone. Or even attempt to.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is certainly how it looks to us, but it might not look like that to someone on the receiving end!

3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Look, while the danger is mostly just people writing nasty emails and tweets, we shouldn't keep demanding evidence of how bad the danger is. We should be telling people that such things aren't really helping anyone (as Esther12 is saying) and pointing out it is a small minority of people participating in such behaviour.

Sarah94, MEMarge, Simone and 6 others like this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps PWME can be seen as a "Causa sine qua non", rather than a "causa causans".

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They chose to respond to an article that used concerns about on-line abuse of researchers to distract from and dismiss criticism of the PACE trial with direct personal abuse to those researchers. Quasar wasn't just swearing to himself in his own home. Personally, I've got no problem with swearing, but for Quasar to choose to respond in the way he did is appalling and will be used to harm others. That's just not acceptable.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Sarah94, Simone, Snow Leopard and 4 others like this.
  6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its a divide and conquer tactic on their part, they want to dominate the conversation by painting us as evil violent people to not be listened to. By keeping the conversation about how under threat they are they prevent more productive conversation and they prime their audience to listen to them and not us or actual researchers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2019
    Sarah94, MEMarge, Simone and 9 others like this.
  7. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah.

Hey, guys, I think I need to step away from this for now, for my own well-being. Contributed to "the fight" nonstop for a few days. It's absolutely draining.

Someone online wanted to educate me that there is more than one organism in the fungal Kingdom last night. I taught science at multiple levels for a decade, and worked at the SGTC where one of the main things that they focus on is yeast-derived natural products... I'm aware.

I think it's the ladyface that does it. Maybe I should follow y'all's lead and replace it with a crane or something.

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's exactly why. He either blocks people who criticize him or they stop trying after he responds with trolling.

It's pretty clear Sharpe has never been interested in listening to anything. Many of us have tried. I got angry at the end but like many others I sent dozens of polite tweets with clear arguments, facts, links, etc. He doesn't care, all he wants is to cherry-pick bits here and there to play his victim card so all that's left is a few trolls who interact with him that he doesn't block for that purpose, sock-puppets and the guy who keeps telling everyone who replies to him to never contact him ever again.

The vast majorities of tweets sent to Sharpe were polite and had clear, rational arguments. It doesn't take long to see it for anyone who bothers researching.

Actually that would make a great article all by itself, to contrast the reality with the cherry-picked fiction they invented to support the narrative. Anyone up for doing a bit of gathering on this on its own thread? I'll pitch in if we can have enough hands to make it work collaboratively.

The vast majority of tweets paint this picture:
    pace-researchers-block-reasonable-questions.jpg

sharpe-is-condescending.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The nastiest tweets they can come up with are quasar's and I rarely ever see anyone interacting with that account. No likes, no retweets, no replies. There's another I can think of and it's largely the same, rarely any interactions. We're "telling" people with bad arguments by not paying attention to them because we are not some organised group of anything. People do what they choose to do and we're not the Stonecutters, we don't control the British pound or keep the metric system down. We're sick and stigmatized, that's it.

They literally did the equivalent of pointing at someone screaming on a street corner and claiming it's representative of a quiet sit-in protest happening close by. That person may or not be related to but that is irrelevant because guilt by association is an unacceptable argument. Bad faith arguments like that will look especially bad with hindsight, it will make them look like ghouls, whatever tiny gain they may feel today.

11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hey I haven't participated much in this discussion about the piece. I'm mulling the appropriate response. It's really gross journalistic malpractice. Smart journalists--at least in US--should be able to see that, as Amy Maxmen's tweet cited above shows. She called the story "twisted." This story was reported and edited out of the UK. In the US, editors would be shocked at reporters engaging in public relations activities for organizations serving as sources for their stories. So we'll see how this plays out going forward.

12. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, in general, yes. But some US reporters have been all too willing to act as pr arms by proxy for organizations like the CDC and the NIH - and editors allow these pieces even when they are aware the topic may be considered controversial in some circles.

ScottTriGuy and andypants like this.
  13. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The New York Times carried it uncritically...

14. duncan

I am a huge NY Times fan and I cannot begin to scratch the surface of the boilerplate crap they've run about Lyme. I seem to recall a lot of CFS sludge in the past, too.

Sarah94, Simone, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  15. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find this description to be very disingenuous, given that for all intents and purposes he treats it as a mental illness.

Here the author tries to discredit patients by comparing them to climate change deniers and anti-vaxers.

Still conflating ME with fatigue, where's the mention of harm from exercise?

Sarah94, Snow Leopard, Sean and 7 others like this.
  16. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If anyone is going to do any more twitter replies perhaps mentioning some of the own goals is an idea, from Godwin to some of the others.

Simone, ladycatlover, Sean and 3 others like this.
  17. duncan

Is isolation a symptom?

ladycatlover, ScottTriGuy and chrisb like this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

#MEAction is running their letter out to all those who publish it. Just keeping Adriane apprised of which outlets has been a challenge.

[Edit: I should say that, through my exhaustion, it's really amazing to have people picking up the baton so all I have to do right now is 'carry messages'. Means a lot, thank you.]

20. lunarswirls

lunarswirls Established Member

That is exactly what they mean by "silencing".

https://twitter.com/user/status/1105830620058607618

Reminds me of all the quacks alt med practitioners who cry censorship because they can't get their garbage "studies" published in reputable journals without huge backlash from the "militant skeptics".