1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sudden improvement in eyesight

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by alex3619, May 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some years back, and with my memory I am not sure when, I woke up one morning and had trouble seeing. After blinking a bit and closing one eye then the other, I realised I was blind in my left eye.

I also developed more severe type 2 diabetes, which is not treatable by any of the drugs.

So I started intermittent fasting nearly four months back, the restricted feeding variant where I eat only 8 hours out of 24. Due to my circadian problems the timing of these hours are always changing, but not the duration.

I have had a little more energy at times, but tend to spend it cooking ... which means I am finally able to eat a bit healthier ... tastier too.

Just a few minutes ago I went to my kitchen, and realised every white surface, especially my oven, was blue. Again the blinking, shutting one eye, then shutting the other.

Its coming from my left eye. Not only that, but I can see the hotplates on my oven! A few months ago I could not see a car a few meters away using my left eye, and could only see outlines of people if they were close, and doors if there was light coming through them. I was concerned that if I lost sight in my right eye for any reason I would be in big trouble.

In fasting over 12 hours there is a catabolic phase triggered called autophagy. It is claimed it can decrease scar tissue, and clear away cellular debris. It is a known catabolic phase. In theory this can pave the way for an anabolic response, a healing response.

I am not convinced this is what is happening, but definitely intrigued. While I am interested in the science, personally I am on a bit of a high right now. Suddenly seeing again ... will this continue?

Binkie4, Yessica, Lidia and 35 others like this.
  2. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure your improved eyesight could have any number of explanations, but google cataracts and second sight. Improved near vision can be sign of cataract onset, but I don't know if it can cause the perception of sharper colors. My eye doctor said if you have enough birthdays, you will get a cataract at some point.

https://yoursightmatters.com/surprising-cataract-symptoms/

I used to take Rapamune for autophagy. I didn't stick with it because I never noticed much improvement, but my doctor did, and his vision improved to the point where he doesn't wear glasses anymore.

@ScottTriGuy, do you still take Rapamune? Have you noticed any vision improvement?

I used to do brainwave training for ADD, and the high frequencies I was entraining to seemed to make me see much sharper colors.

3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it getting rid of ammonia that’s helping

spinoza577, alktipping and Kitty like this.
  4. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes (1mg 3 days a week), and nope, haven't noticed any eye sight improvement.

spinoza577 likes this.
  5. Kafka

Kafka Established Member (Voting Rights)

After being keto for a year I suddenly realized I didn’t need glasses for distance anymore. I think this is common development. my theory is it might be due to reduction of inflammation as my arthritis and headaches are also gone.
    Intermittent fasting reduces inflammation too...

Mariaba, Yessica, ScottTriGuy and 3 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if you had a vitreous haemorrhage that is finally being cleared. Recovery of retinal blindness is rare I think. Moreover, vitreous haemorrhage would produce sudden loss of vision. Blueness might be a function of scattering although I suspect neural accommodation mechanisms would override that normally.

7. alex3619

Hi, this is still my suspicion. What intrigues me, hardly proven, is that fasting increases catabolic activity.

MeSci likes this.
  8. alex3619

An update as of a few minutes ago - I have the bad habit of closing my left eye as sight is so poor and its easier to concentrate. I had my left eye open and was feeling a bit dizzy. I focussed on sight from that eye ... still not much. Then I realised I had peripheral vision. The centre is still clouded, but the peripheral vision is greatly improved. Progress!

Binkie4, Mariaba, Yessica and 11 others like this.