1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suicidal ideation in non-depressed individuals: The effects of a chronic, misunderstood illness, Devendorf et al, 2018

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Indigophoton, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"On the question of suicide risk and chronic fatigue syndrome / myalgic encephalomyelitis continued
    The paper by Andrew Devendorf and colleagues [1] brought me back to a complicated and sensitive topic previously discussed on this blog (see here) regarding the issue of suicide risk in the context of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Specifically, the Devendorf findings provide some potentially important information about the possible reasoning behind suicide risk in the context of ME/CFS: "(1) feeling trapped and (2) loss of self, loss of others, stigma and conflict.""

"I don't think anyone should really be surprised by the Devendorf results. With ME/CFS you have a condition that literally steals life from people; for example, rendering previously fit and active people to sometimes being bed-bound for days and days (or even longer) at a time. Add in a 'boom-bust' pattern of symptoms (see here) and the various 'environmental' effects (to employment, finances, social life, etc) of the condition, and well, I'm often surprised how resilient people with ME/CFS are."

blog here:
    https://questioning-answers.blogspo...tion-of-suicide-risk-and-MECFS-continued.html

Perrier, oldtimer, Joh and 9 others like this.
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This thread has not had that many views.

Though the title is unpleasant (understatement), it actually lists many good reasons why PwME have good reason to feel "without hope" at times.
    Tom K has tweeted many relevant extracts which are great for retweeting or just reading for info/relevance.

4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Suicidal ideation in non-depressed individuals: The effects of a chronic, misunderstood illness - Andrew R. Devendorf, Stephanie L McManimen, Leonard A Jason

Abstract

Chronic illness is a risk factor for suicide but is often explained with depression. Research has shown an increased suicide rate in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome, but specific risk factors have been unexplored. We qualitatively analyzed responses from 29 patients who endorsed suicidal ideation but did not meet depression criteria. Two themes were developed: (1) feeling trapped and (2) loss of self, loss of others, stigma and conflict. Myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome caused patients severe disability, restructured their lives, and inflicted serious pain. Participants emphasized that they were not depressed, but felt trapped by the lack of treatments available.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020
    Perrier, Squeezy, cfsandmore and 4 others like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone translate? Does this mean

1) "Chronic illness is often explained with depression" ?

2) "Chronic illness is often explained by depression" ?

3) "Suicide is often explained with depression" ?

4) "Suicide is often explained by depression" ?

I hate it when I can't understand what is alleged to be normal English.

MeSci, Andy and Kalliope like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I have never lost the desire to have an active 'normal' life. Just hasn't been an option for me since getting ME.

Frustration, anger, grief, despair, etc, are not depression.

Frankie, Perrier, Squeezy and 7 others like this.
  9. Arnie Pye

This particular statistic can't be trusted. In 2003, when Cavanagh et al published it, the vast majority of researchers and doctors took it for granted that ME was a psychiatric condition. Just like at one time the vast majority of doctors and researchers believed women with MS were hysterical and attention seeking, (and if MUS gains even more ground it will be again). Ditto with rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, chronic pelvic pain etc.

10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TRIGGER WARNING

I have contemplated suicide but only as a final response to a level of pain and this is not mentioned. I have an eye condition which feels like chili being rubbed into them every time I go into REM sleep. My eye doctor referred to it as a nasty little disease and together we have worked out a regime which has got it to a manageable level.

My ME pain is often severe but not prolonged. If it does become unendurable I have this as a reserve option, though I would rather opt for opioid addiction :)

Why do psychologists always leave out the physical when the mind body divide is meant to be such a bad thing?

Frankie, oldtimer, JemPD and 9 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Seems to be a new article based on this paper.

"Overcoming this is going to be difficult: Suicide risk, stigma, and chronic fatigue syndrome

Chronic fatigue syndrome is a debilitating illness that affects 1.5 million Americans. Because it is linked with higher risks of suicide, scientists are seeking strategies that may prevent suicide in these patients. In this study, we learned that reducing the surrounding stigma may be one crucial strategy."

https://thesciencebreaker.org/break...cide-risk-stigma-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Frankie, Simbindi, Sean and 6 others like this.
  12. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Preventing suicide will really happen when more effort is put into determining the problem and offering treatments which work. The conditions this illness imposes are truly cruel, next I guess to someone who is a paraplegic. The scientific community has shilly shallied with this devastating condition. Shame on them all, is all I have to say.

Frankie, Simbindi, Mithriel and 5 others like this.