1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Symptoms of Covid-19

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by lunarainbows, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There seems to be a rash of articles referring to "cognitive impairment" and saying it has never been researched. I have a vague recollection that in the early days of the Tahoe research Cheney sent a number of his patients to a psychologist in either LA or San Francisco. I think she may have been called Bastian. She reported specific cognitive deficits. The NIH and CDC were not interested.

The reference was in Oslers Web. I will try and find it. It may take some time.

Simbindi, merylg, Wonko and 4 others like this.
  3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sheila Bastien

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...enry/e50fe3e2ab092ebeb05afb3e3d6955b9d069a0cb

4. Wits_End

merylg, ladycatlover and MeSci like this.
  5. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mithriel and MeSci like this.
  6. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Wits_End

Interesting. Sounds familiar:

"Dr. Robert Yolken, a neurovirology expert at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, said that although people might recover physically from Covid-19, in some cases their immune systems, might be unable to shut down or might remain engaged because of “delayed clearance of a small amount of virus.”

Persistent immune activation is also a leading explanation for brain fog and memory problems bedeviling many Covid survivors, and Emily Severance, a schizophrenia expert at Johns Hopkins, said post-Covid cognitive and psychiatric effects might result from “something similar happening in the brain.”"

merylg, MEMarge, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't we already have a working design for wheels?

I am under the impression that all of this has been proposed, by several people/groups, as explanations for some symptoms of ME - but that such explanations have been rejected by 'medicine' as fanciful, unevidenced, rubbish - or 'polite' terms that mean the same thing.

So if it's not seen as a valid explanation for the same symptoms in another condition then why propose it for long covid?

Just as excuse to getting funding/wages for another couple of years of 'research', or as an acceptance that 'medicine' was potentially 'wrong' something that, according to 'medicine', cannot happen.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Turns out this thing where professionals can choose to believe or disbelieve certain facts over others is not exactly ideal.

Who knew? Other than anyone who knows anything about science, obviously.

Keep in mind that all this crap about magical psychology predates not only the germ theory of disease but modern medicine, by decades. Another thing that is not exactly ideal: retaining long-debunked myths and fairy tales and using them in common practice.

It's really fortunate that no other field of expertise does that because we'd probably have stuck with DC power transmission or something this absurd. Just get used to regular structure fires, they'd say, it's a normal part of life, they'd say. Or something. It's frankly hard to imagine comparable failure in other fields, they simply cannot happen anymore.

Wonko and Mithriel like this.
  10. Wits_End

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2021
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how many of these other symptoms could be due to other opportunistic infections?

I've had unusual oral and ear symptoms for months since a mild respiratory infection in March last year, but it's unlikely I had COVID since it had minimal community circulation over here.

Mithriel and rvallee like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had similar white coating on tongue for about 3 years. No idea what it is. Assumed it was fungal and tried a few treatments but nothing helps. Haven't seen a physician since so that's another thing on the back burner but it seems pretty common in LC.

And the toes, but far less severe than some of the pictures I have seen, but I assume those would be the worst cases.

So many small things that most of us never mention could finally see enough interest to figure them out. Would be great. I don't think that this explains all MUS but I would be genuinely surprised if it does not explain 80-90% at least. Just the immune system doing its thing, I guess.

Mithriel likes this.
  13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

merylg, MEMarge and Sean like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

BBC article:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55733527

Worth buying a pulse oximeter and monitoring your oxygen levels.

15. Wits_End

You beat me to it - I only saw this on the news this evening. If they're that cheap, might it be a good idea for pwME to get one (I think they were being distributed free in the Dorset area?) to check what their blood oxygen level actually is, given that it's been hypothesised that the condition might be caused by a low oxygen level? Only, possibly don't panic about going to A&E if your level is lower than "usual" in humans?

Mithriel and Wonko like this.
  16. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Be aware that they eat batteries, one every few months even if not used - so before putting away in a draw take the battery out.

They could, at least a couple of days ago, be had for a fiver for a cheap one (direct from China - where they are seemingly all made these days).

After the news announced that everyone should have one, they all seem to have doubled in price, at least, for some reason.

Wits_End and Nellie like this.
  17. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I borrowed one for a while.

With warm hands - a rare event - my oxygen levels were always 98-100%.

With cold hands - most of the time - they were below 93% or thereabouts, I don't know how low exactly because that's when the alarm buzzer went off at intolerable volume and I had to switch the device off.

I had a suspicion that might happen which is why I borrowed rather than bought. Some years ago after an operation the nurses ended up disconnecting the monitor because it went off all the time and they decided it was due to my cold hands, not to anything dangerous.

18. Trish

I have a pulse oximeter I have had for ages. I find it easy to use and it seems to give consistent readings, in my case varying between 95 and 99. I have to use it on my thumb, I assume because my fingers are too small to give a reading. If it shows 95 or 96 I find taking a few deep breaths quickly raises it to 98 to 99.

I think it's a good idea to buy one and get used to using it so you know whether it's working reliably, to have in case you get Covid. It's scary how quickly people with Covid's oxygen levels can drop dangerously low without them realising.

19. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mine arrived today...was easy to use out of the packet , although reading seemed to vary quite a bit ...it seemed to vary a lot from 93 to 97 ..spent more time at 94 than anything else ...reading the leaflet it says that if you have low haemoglobin pulse OI meters not so good ..sigh my haemoglobin is below reference due to low RBC’s (haematocrit consistently always below reference). So I guess it’s not going to be something that works for me. Be good for Mrs and master sloth though.

Subtropical Island, Wonko and Trish like this.
  20. Trish

Surely it would still be useful provided you take into account your usual readings, and look out for a drop from that.

Subtropical Island and Mithriel like this.