1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Effect of Parenteral or Oral Iron Supplementation on Fatigue, Sleep, QoL & Restless Legs Syndrome in Iron-Deficient Blood Donors, 2020, Macher

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, May 10, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: The Effect of Parenteral or Oral Iron Supplementation on Fatigue, Sleep, Quality of Life and Restless Legs Syndrome in Iron-Deficient Blood Donors: A Secondary Analysis of the IronWoMan RCT
    Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/5/1313/htm

While they talk of "the chronic fatigue syndrome", the criteria that they use to determine if someone has it is

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That looks like they mean the symptom 'chronic fatigue', not CFS. Anaemia is well known to cause CF. I've never heard of it causing CFS.

Hutan, pteropus, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

People still talk about the disaster of one of the Mars landers crashing on the surface because one team worked in metric while the other worked in imperial units. What a dumb failure that was. Never happened again, though. Because the aerospace profession learn from their failures.

This failure of basic vocabulary in medicine is so much worse than this and it is chronic, systemic. Words have meaning, dammit. There is a lot of discussion over the lack of "soft" skills in STEM but frankly this applies every bit as much to medicine. Being so bad at communicating is simply unjustifiable in this day and age. What a mess.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

iron deficiency may cause more subtle symptoms, including the restless legs syndrome (RLS)

There's nothing subtle about having restless legs. It can be torture!

5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One obvious question on this research is why are iron-deficient people being allowed to donate blood? I have read that if iron deficiency becomes severe enough it can cause sudden heart failure.

6. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems less than groundbreaking. Do oxygen deficient patients feel better when given oxygen or do dehydrated patients feel better when given water? I could keep graduate students going for years with these.

7. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

there have been many studies about iron supplements the last one I vaguely remember mentioned that many patients have adverse effects especially from intravenous iron then of course those who have any kind of digestive issues are not going to receive beneficial doses from over the counter iron pills my anaemia has worsened over the years but my doctors do not recommend anything other than shop bought iron pills .

Invisible Woman and Simbindi like this.