1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The NAD+ Long COVID Theory

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by leokitten, Feb 8, 2021.

1. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    DokaGirl, Wyva and Kitty like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This reads like a complete commercial pseudoscience set up. It is an advertisement is it not?
    Real science does not come remotely like this. Can you imagine Anthony Fauci presenting things like this?
    It might even be produced by a bot.

Milo, Cheshire, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  3. leokitten

I’m just putting out info for members to discuss and judge, not necessarily a believer or proponent of this theory.

Trish, DokaGirl and alktipping like this.
  4. leokitten

Anna H and Trish like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't this just an old recycled theory of what 'causes' ME, that didn't pan out.

Pretty sure I've seen it before, years ago, in the context of ME not long covid (as long covid is a 'new' thing)

Not all recycling is a good thing.

Anna H, shak8, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  6. leokitten

I would agree and say there’s only one problem with the analogy, we do not generally know what treatments would’ve worked for many ME patients very early on in the illness, whereas LC patients are trialing things quite early on.

Not saying this would work, but it’s a big unknown as most pwME don’t start trialing treatments until later on in the disease course and the illness does appear to change over time. I know it could all be meaningless and nothing would work even early on but we just don’t know.

Trish, Mithriel, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

But is this really info, or just an advertisement? It is not as if it was a scientific paper.

DokaGirl, TrixieStix, Milo and 3 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

And isn't this another advert? If we posted all the quack adverts with some link to Covid or ME we would drown in junk.

shak8, Cheshire, DokaGirl and 5 others like this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would question whether this is a 'treatment' tho.

From my point of view, despite it having being proposed for 'a while' no one, other than those who make the stuff, or are employed by them, directly or indirectly, has even bothered to do any 'studies' on it.

It looks to me like long covid has come along, with lots of symptoms resembling those of ME, and some bright spark has come up with marketing it on that basis - despite it not having worked for thos symptoms in any reliable or predictable manner for their last little venture.

i.e. have treatment now what can we persuade people it's for.

I don't know of course, but that is my, unqualified, impression.

10. leokitten

Just because something isn’t a scientific paper doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an advertisement. Papers are referenced in the YouTube video and OP article. Whether you think the way they try to tie the referenced papers to the theory is poor is another matter and that’s totally valid.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2021
    Trish and DokaGirl like this.
  11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From studies cited in the linked document first post:

Conclusions
    This study, for the first time, revealed the niacin-associated molecular functions and pharmacological targets for treating CRC/COVID-19, as COVID-19 remains a serious pandemic. But the findings were not validated in actual CRC patients infected with COVID-19, so further investigation is needed to confirm the potential use of niacin for treating CRC/COVID-19.

https://academic.oup.com/bib/advance-article/doi/10.1093/bib/bbaa300/5964187

This was a letter to the editor:

https://sci-hub.se/10.1093/ajcn/nqaa095

I don't have the capacity to look further with regard to cited papers.

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As I noted elsewhere, most of these supplements were recommended to ME/CFS patients here in Australia in the late 1990s. I received my diagnosis in 1998 as well as assorted jars and bottles of this stuff in the same appointment. None of it worked for me (or for many others it seemed).

Everything old is new again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Michelle, NelliePledge, Wyva and 6 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

I didn't say that it looked like an advertisement because it wasn't scientific paper. It just looks like an advertisement. Somebody wants to sell an idea for whatever reason. Quite a lot of scientific papers are advertisements too.

With this sort of randomly jumbled connection of apparently biological ideas there is little point in attempting a critique because there is no substance to the claims all the way through.

TrixieStix, Michelle, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  14. Fizzlou

Fizzlou Senior Member (Voting Rights)