1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The possible onset of fibromyalgia following acute COVID-19 infection, 2023, Einat Savin et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Mij, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Introduction
    The exact pathogenesis of fibromyalgia (FM) syndrome is unclear. However, various infectious have been implicated with the development of FM after their acute phase. We aimed to investigate the incidence of FM syndrome among convalesced individuals following hospitalization for Acute Coronavirus Disease-2019 (COVID-19).

Methods
    We performed a cross-sectional study on patients who were discharged after COVID-19 hospitalization from the Sheba Medical Center, Israel, between July 2020 to November 2020. A phone interview was performed consisting of the following questionnaires: the Fibromyalgia Survey Diagnostic Criteria Questionnaire, Sense of Coherence Questionnaire to evaluate resilience, and the Subjective Traumatic Outlook Questionnaire to assess the associated psychological aspects of the trauma. The incidence of post-COVID FM was calculated and regression models were performed to identify predictors.

Results
    The study population consisted of 198 eligible patients who completed the phone interview. The median age was 64 (52–72) and 37% were women. The median follow-up was 5.2 months (IQR 4.4–5.8). The incidence of FM was 15% (30 patients) and 87% (172 patients) had at least one FM-related symptom. Female gender was significantly associated with post-COVID FM (OR 3.65, p = 0.002). In addition, high median Subjective Traumatic Outlook scores and low median Sense of Coherence scores were both significantly associated with post-COVID FM (OR 1.19, p<0.001 and OR 0.92, p<0.001, respectively).

Conclusions
    FM is highly prevalent among COVID-19 convalescent patients. Our finding suggests that a significant subjective traumatic experience and a low resilience are highly associated with post-COVID FM.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0281593

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Sigh. And still the victim-blaming nonsense keeps coming.

Subjective Traumatic Outlook Questionnaire

1. Looking on your condition, do you feel that you suffer from psychological trauma?

2. Looking back, do you see a fracture line between your life before the event and after the event?

3. Do you feel that the event controls your life?

4. Parallel to your daily functioning, do you feel that there is a debilitated inner world that will never recuperate from the trauma?

5. Do you feel that since the traumatic event no one can understand what you are going through?​

Scoring is 1: Not at all through to 5: Very much.

Items 2, 3 and 5 could easily be scored as 4 or 5 by someone objectively assessing very debilitating symptoms that are minimised by medical professionals.

Sense of Coherence Questionnaire
    I haven't spent much time finding exactly what version of the questionnaire was used, but there's this commentary that includes some questions:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK435830/

Again, it's likely that someone who has suddenly developed a life-limiting condition that includes ongoing pain and who is not getting any constructive help from their doctors is going to score poorly on this scale. It's not surprising, and should not be taken as evidence of the person's defective resilience having caused their condition.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
    RedFox, sebaaa, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"Our finding suggests..."

If there is one thing that characterises this 'method' it is how arbitrary the interpretation of the answers are, and how little attempt there is to actually determine which interpretation is correct. It is simply asserted, and is always pathological.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

What gives them the right to ask such intrusive, judgemental and leading questions of people in physical pain. It's time we all rebelled and wrote on the questionnaires 'none of your damned business'.

RedFox, sebaaa, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So I looked up the autoimmune disease department at Sheba Medical Center in Israel, where they authors are based.

And a familiar study came up in that search, on the first page. Remember the floral arranging and how it vastly improved FM symptoms?

Yup, Sheba FM "researchers" or someone with a brother growing flowers commercially, I would suspect.

https://www.shebaonline.org/fibromyalgia-and-floristry/

Sheba Medical Center does a big global international patient business, including "holistic" care.

And why is FM under the department of autoimmune diseases when it is not an autoimmune disease as currently defined? Probably $.

I am so thrilled to have this sh*t puddle of a diagnosis. Sticks to the behind of my albatross, whom I am fond of, after all.

6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And having "one FM-related symptom" does not cut it.

ETA: Under Sheba Medical Center Rheumatology and Autoimmunity department's website heading: what they treat includes fibromyalgia.

Under Fibromyalgia, the head states merely: Fibromyalgia Clinic, and the one and only mention is CBT.

CBT, not even floral therapy!

Is PLOSone a reputable journal? Or was there compromat?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh, no it doesn't. You do, clearly, but the finding doesn't suggest anything like that at all, it's actually remarkably foolish and far out the left field.

And wow those questions are just complete trash. What is wrong with these people? Medicine without empathy and science is just pure trash.

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Back in the late 90s I received a call asking if I would like to participate in a survey regarding depression. I said yes. There were 2 questions:

1. Do you that believe depression is genetic and runs in families.

2. Do you believe depression affects the ability to perform daily activities.

I wondered what all that was about. Weird.

Hutan, RedFox, Trish and 2 others like this.