1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Puzzle Solver by Tracie White

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by mango, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Received an email this morning from Book Depository saying Puzzle Solver is back in stock although when I activated the link, it still says it is currently unavailable! I think I'll be waiting till Feb 4th for my copy but if you are really anxious to read it sooner, give it a couple of days and try again because it seems that they have copies somewhere as @mango indicated.

Following review quotes are from Book Depository page
    Review quote
    "The Puzzle Solver is a compelling story of the love of a father who as a scientist preserved through a maze of uncertainty to help his son. Anyone who has endured undiagnosed chronic illness or has been subjected to the blanket dismissal of the medical community will find refuge in this book. The personal sense of responsibility coupled with the journey for acceptance of this disease as having a biological basis is nothing short of inspiring. A reminder that our lives can change in an instant, are are ultimately dependent upon our love for each other."--Rana Awdish, MD, author of In Shock

About Tracie White
    Tracie White is an award-winning journalist and a science writer for Stanford University. Her work, which has garnered 23 writing awards, has also appeared in Salon, the Los Angeles Times, the San Francisco Chronicle, and more. She graduated from UC Berkley and has a master's degree in journalism from Northwestern University. She lives in Aptos, California. Ronald W. Davis, PhD, has been called one of the world's greatest living inventors by the Atlantic. He is a professor of Biochemistry and Genetics at Stanford University and director of the Stanford Genome Technology Center. He has won numerous awards for his research, including the Gruber Prize in genetics for his groundbreaking contributions to the field of genomics. He now is devoted to finding a cure for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS).

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

email from #MEAction

3. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2021
    Binkie4, Invisible Woman and Kitty like this.
  4. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I pre-ordered a hardback copy. It hasn't arrived yet.

5. leokitten

I got an Apple ebook as it makes much easier for me to read on a bigger screen and in dark mode. ME does cause weird blurred vision that isn’t correctable many of us can attest to that!

oldtimer, Mithriel, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Makes me wonder about whether increased lag of visual accommodation is a PEM symptom, but I digress.

oldtimer, Mithriel, Sean and 7 others like this.
  7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was someone in the UK who published on ME affecting sight --- response times or some such.

oldtimer and leokitten like this.
  8. leokitten

For me it’s visual blurring that even at the optometrist is very significant and I struggle to make things clear but it’s not correctable. I’ve been near-sided diagnosed and wearing glasses since 10 yo but since getting ME it’s something way different. Cannot focus my vision and during PEM/crash fuggetaboutit

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    oldtimer, Mithriel, rainy and 4 others like this.
  9. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm half way through the audio book on Audible and so far I agree with @mango :). It's beyond any expectations I might have had:thumbup:.

cfsandmore, Binkie4, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  10. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

cfsandmore likes this.
  12. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the video of the ME Action Book reading and Q&A from a few weeks ago hosted on Facebook. It is shorter and more focused on the book rather than including additional topics.
    Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/1408335399448862/videos/3408715029258232

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Kitty, cfsandmore, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  13. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Kitty, cfsandmore and 8 others like this.
  14. Colin

Colin Established Member (Voting Rights)

Interview on Australian radio with Tracie White, by Suzanne Hill. It went out tonight across the country, on the ABC's Local Radio network:

ABC: Nightlife

Segment starts at 1:00:00 and goes to 1:26:40.
    This recording will be up for only about a week.

Edit: This segment has now been put up separately and as a down-loadable file. Find it here:

The Writers: The Puzzle Solver by Tracie White

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  15. mango

Is it geoblocked outside of Australia? I'm trying to play it, but it just keeps buffering. I'm not getting any error messages, though.

16. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It works for me in Ireland, though initially I had a buffering problem

Snow Leopard and mango like this.
  17. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The question that needs to be asked is "has the puzzle been solved?", and, if so, are we just not being told about it.

18. mango

Thank you! That's very good to know :) I'll try again later, then.

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anna H, cfsandmore and Trish like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have just finished reading the book. I found it very readable and think it will serve well to inform the general reader about the reality of very severe ME/CFS, and some of the history of the scandalous lack of research funding.

Hopefully it will be read by some clinicians and scientists too. The journalistic style with lots of descriptions of scenery and settings and personal lives of individuals, including the author and her family, was a bit overdone for my taste, but I recognise that I'm not the target audience.

The sections on the Lake Tahoe outbreak were interesting particularly for the shameful way the CDC dismissed it as hysteria, and the people who influenced the CDC and NIH to not fund research. I had read about all this before, but with some recent discussion here that seemed to suggest the psychologising of ME/CFS was a largely British phenomenon, this book made it clear that it has been just as bad in the US, with very sick patients being sent to psychiatrists, including the first surgeon Whitney's family asked to fit his Jtube for feeding who refused and told his parents he needed to see a psychiatrist. And that must have been within the last few years.

Edited to correct typo. I mis-spelled Whitney's name. Sincere apologies.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021