The science of craniocervical instability and other spinal issues and their possible connection with ME/CFS - discussion thread

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Yes, some claim they are better when they are not really, but some claim to have been cured months later. So the analogy stands.

TrixieStix, JaneL, Marky and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may not be so very different. I strongly suspect that people who have undergone the traction test will know that they only get an operation if they say they are better with traction.

The psychology of these things is always complex. And none of us is immune to these psychological pressures. I certainly am not.

3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It does in terms of replying to comments on observations and following them. The reported improvements may not be real but reports are still observable. People can report improvements for a variety of reasons. They can also attribute improvements to things that are happening as they improve.

With any observations of improvement you need to take into account that ME is a variable condition and people do improve at times or get worse etc. So control groups are needed.

That is why proper research and trials are needed.

The question remains as to what the best bets for those trials (i.e. which are the most plausible and promising lines to explore).

Anna H, TrixieStix, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  4. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was told by one of the surgeons that my supine measurements were “quite normal”, but if I felt any better under traction (what type of traction wasn’t specified though, or what kind of symptoms I should be looking at), then I could be booked in for an appointment and a consultation and would receive a diagnosis at the consultation.

Certainly a lot seems to hinge on response to traction and keeping a traction diary.

Edit: I chose not to do this due to possible harms as well as the fact I asked the surgeon to explain to me why exactly I needed to do this and on what basis, given my measurements were “ok“, but did not receive an adequate answer at all. I was not happy that traction was being used to assess... what exactly, and why? But that’s a question I think we would all like the answer to.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Louie41, Anna H, vsou and 15 others like this.
  5. JenB

JenB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And they have symptoms strongly suggestive of specific neurological deficits
    And they have an abnormal clinical neurology exam
    And they have abnormal imaging
    And they have measurements that change during traction
    And they have an abnormal ICP bolt test

Family history, signs of connective tissue disorder, etc., etc. also important

The gauntlet I ran to get this diagnosis is nothing like what it took to get an ME diagnosis, which was based mainly on the symptoms my doctor was asking about, ruling out a bunch of stuff, and various blood tests. The CPET was helpful. None of these, however, were objective evidence of pathology.

Comparing this to the Lightning Process is...a leap.

epipnoia, Hip and Sarah94 like this.
  6. JenB

JenB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like you made the right choice for your care!

7. Jonathan Edwards

The trouble is that there is no publicly available documentation of any of this.
    Nobody has been saying much about abnormal neurological examination. I would be interested to know exactly what signs there were.
    The abnormality of the imaging is something that seems open to debate. I have not so far seen any significantly abnormal images.
    The change of measurement during traction, as I explained in response to debored13 looks like a worsening rather than an improvement. I might be wrong about that but nobody has so far suggested why aI should be and it looks fairly simple.

We need publicly available evidence before we go on the internet giving people the impression that there is medical evidence available to justify the surgery. You yourself have said there is zero evidence. So it is all a bit confusing.

JohnTheJack, Andy, Anna H and 10 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

But they aren't. Family history is used as a pointer towards requiring investigation. It is not evidence of pathology. I am a doctor, Jen. I spent forty years of my life using these tools. How do you come to be in a position to say something is important when you have never had any practical experience of the reality?

JohnTheJack, Andy, Anna H and 9 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note

This thread was closed for moderation. It has now re-opened as a fully moderated thread. This means all posts will be checked by moderators before appearing on the thread. The aim is to enable productive, respectful and well-focussed discussions.
    See the explanation from the committee here.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. Elestar

Elestar Established Member

I have concerns about one of the main surgeons involved in these surgeries (Dr Bolognese),

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....nese-milhorat-article-1.172605?outputType=amp

Also,

MEMarge, Sid, Sly Saint and 7 others like this.
  11. Trish

Hi @Elestar. I can't access the article you have linked. Can you clarify when the article was published, and by what publication, and whether it gives any links to other sources.

The content you have posted is very concerning.

12. Elestar

Hi @Trish,
    The website is called nydailynews.com.
    I also cannot access it by going on the website directly, I think due to EU data laws. However, I can access it through a Google search which is what I posted above. I'm not sure why its not working for you, sorry.

The title is called " In case of Katie Bryant, med pros shocked by action of L.I. neurosurgeons Bolognese, Milhorat"
    It was written Heidi Evans on Aug 09, 2009, at 10:28 a.m.

It relates to a lawsuit for a four year old child, called Katie Bryant.

MEMarge and Dx Revision Watch like this.
  13. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(@Trish, the link in the post is to the New York Daily News from 2009. It's not possible to see the content in Europe.)

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  14. Trish

15. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    shak8, MEMarge, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  16. Elestar

Hi @Trish,
    Yes, that also relate to Katie Bryant but it's a slightly different article, written in May 2009.
    Did you try opening in Google.com?

Kitty likes this.
  17. Elestar

Worryingly, this is also in the first article:

vsou, Sid, Anna H and 5 others like this.
  18. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A different case here (filed April 21, 2010):

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/4320390/covert-v-milhorat-md/

Covert v. Milhorat, M.D. (2:10-cv-01769)
    District Court, E.D. New York

Assigned To: Joseph Frank Bianco

Referred To: A. Kathleen Tomlinson

Date Filed: April 21, 2010

Date Terminated: March 26, 2015

Cause: 28:1332 Diversity-Medical Malpractice

Nature of Suit: 362 Personal Inj. Med. Malpractice

Jury Demand: Plaintiff

Jurisdiction Type: Diversity

PDF: https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nyed.303656.1.0.pdf

20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to Wikipedia (not the most reliable source, I agree, and not necessarily even up-to-date), none of the multiple lawsuits against Dr. Bolognese has been resolved. I don't know how common it is for surgeons in the US to face lawsuits, though – it might be anything on the scale from exceptional to routine.

ME/CFS Skeptic likes this.