1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Tracking Peripheral Immune Cell Infiltration of the Brain in Central Inflammatory Disorders Using [Zr-89]Oxinate-4-labeled Leukocytes

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Hoopoe, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

University of Alabama, so presumably part of Younger's lab?

Selection criteria for CFS is Fukuda. :(

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:banghead:

4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not Jerrud Younger. It's
    Jonathan McConathy, MD, PhD

Their contact details are on the Clinical trials document.

You could tell them what's wrong with Fukuda.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2019
  5. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there is a concern about selection criteria, might I suggest trying to coordinate one response, politely explaining why patients have concerns about Fukuda.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2019
  6. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NIH's and CDC's current position is that we do not know enough to designate a specific definition and that any definition - including Fukuda - is acceptable. That means that not even PEM is mandatory. (edited to add - "not mandatory" according to NIH's and CDC's position)

Food for thought... it might be better to make the case to NIH and CDC rather than individual researchers. At the very least, we need NIH to sponsor a meeting of researchers and clinicians to reach consensus on the criteria and the methods used to assess those criteria.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    MEMarge, shak8, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  7. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This apart from CFS criteria looks quite good. If the researcher is new perhaps he’s not up to date with the moving away from Fukuda? I wonder if this is how research grows, maybe he heard of youngers research through university networking and has sparked his interest ?

Londinium likes this.
  8. Colleen Steckel

Colleen Steckel Established Member (Voting Rights)

A unified front about what criteria is best for research into ME should already exist.

I think we can all agree that Fukuda (just like Oxford) isn't appropriate for anything that could be seen as an "ME" study.

It's labeled a "CFS" study and uses Fukuda. What that means is another study would need to be done in order to see if it applies to PwME. Can't we approach this as a waste of precious research dollars?

duncan and Annamaria like this.
  9. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Ron, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  10. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Duh, just realised the title of this thread shows [Zr-89]. So I bet it is the same study, with the ME/CFS analysis funded by ME Research UK.

Kitty and MEMarge like this.