1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Treatment Harms to Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2022, Marks

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    https://www.opastpublishers.com/ope...encephalomyelitischronic-fatigue-syndrome.pdf

ISSN: 2640-4133
    DOI: 10.33140/ABBSR.06.01.01

Treatment Harms to Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

David F Marks

David F Marks PhD
    Independent Researcher
    Arles, Bouches-duRhône, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, 13200, France.

Citation: Marks, D. F. (2022). Treatment Harms to Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Adv Bioeng Biomed Sci Res, 6(1), 01-04.

Abstract

Despite evidence of physiological and cellular abnormalities in myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), the dominant therapeutic approach has been cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET).

Patients report distress and dissatisfaction following healthcare encounters based on GET and CBT.

A significant body of research suggests that CBT and GET are harmful for many patients with ME/CFS.

These findings raise ethical concerns and suggest that more collaborative working between scientists, therapists and patients would be helpful in making scientific progress in this difficult field.

Keywords: Biopsychosocial Model, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, CBT, Ethics, Graded Exercise Therapy, GET, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Treatment Harms, PASC

Ravn, sebaaa, hibiscuswahine and 9 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunate wording, I think. It's not distress and dissatisfaction, or at least not the primary effect, which is getting much sicker and losing significant ability to function for long periods of time. Distress and dissatisfaction are likely to follow this, but are not the key point.

It's useful to see the various research on harms gathered together in one place, though there are a few fairly minor errors, like mixing up PASC and Covid-19, my comment above about wording and a couple of others I've forgotten already.
    Some of the population data looks exaggeratedly high.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

David Marks continues to put an enormous effort into exposing BPS harm. I agree that sometimes the articles don't quite get everything right though. And I'm not sure about this journal - it seems to be a pay to publish journal, taking all sorts of papers.

https://www.opastpublishers.com/jou...nd-biomedical-science-research/aims-and-scope
    The information about the journal's scope is not confidence-inspiring.

Ravn, hibiscuswahine, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

oh dear, thats a bit cringeworthy 'magnificent significance'.

Ravn and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks frankly terrible. USD 2585 to publish.

Eg Resonance in Biological Systems- Interdisciplinary View (Submitted: 12 Apr 2022; Accepted: 18 Apr 2022; Published: 26 Apr 2022)

Resonance is a fundamental phenomenon of the energetic processes between energy and matter. It thus combines organic matter and its function into a viable dynamic that means life. This applies to all forms of life: human, animal and plant organisms. The various detections of resonance in physical and quantum mechanical basic research make the difficulty of understanding clear. Nevertheless, an understanding of the interdisciplinary use must be developed. The pharmacological and medical-technical development of the present makes this necessary.

7 references including Heisenberg (1926) and Pauling (1960) but oddly not Lucas (1977).

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's certainly commitment to the cause to be paying that publishing fee.

For sure it's a difficult field. I'm wondering if David Marks would have an easier time of it if he himself collaborated more. I see he got some feedback on an earlier draft of this paper, but perhaps he could find one or two people to help polish his final papers; perhaps someone could help with access to more mainstream journals.

I don't have insights that I'm sure some others here do. Perhaps there was just a need to get something on harms published quickly, so that it could be referenced in a submission.

Ravn, alktipping, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
  7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't remember but I think I commented on it quickly when it was a blog post rather than a formal paper/submission.

Ravn, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  8. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am grateful he has taken the time compiling this and getting it published. I need all the papers I can to advance advocacy, especially around education of pwME/LC who may not be aware of the history and controversies.

Lilas, Ravn, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  9. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, as a compilation this and his other recent paper are useful.

But I fear he makes it all too easy for his work to be dismissed as 'just another activist at play' due to his less than neutral language and choice of journal.

It would definitely have been better to adopt the dull but widely accepted writing style of scientific papers - the facts speak for themselves anyway, no need to use 'activist language' to point out the flaws. The following, for example, can easily be portrayed as emotional activist with an agenda speaking (don't get me wrong, I fully agree with the sentiment, and the language would be fine in a personal blog or opinion article, I just don't think it's helpful in a contribution to the scientific literature)
    It may also have been better, and presumably cheaper, to publish as a preprint if no better journals were prepared to accept his work (more neutral language may have helped to get the work accepted). Not ideal but these days preprint seems to be more acceptable than predatory.

Lilas, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.