Trial By Error: Some Thoughts About an Upcoming Article

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think its worth having ready for future publication though i do agree preemptive publication may not be the best plan though its worth working on beforehand and be ready to deploy if necessary

Does the publishing entity answer to anyone, do they have an ethics board or are they publicly owned?

We do need to really think carefully and not just react off the cuff because this would need to be a finely played game of chess. We must not forget the Art of War, we must be nothing if not strategic.

This thread should be made established members only IMO

JemPD, Starlight, benji and 5 others like this.
  2. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Worth remembering that Prof Chalder and many other authors of BPS studies are not medical doctors.

WillowJ, lycaena, JemPD and 31 others like this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

We should remember that there is a big industry being build around MUS and the evidence is very very dodgy and also refers back to PACE. Its all wrapped up in getting money from the government to fund dodgy mental health strategies. With MPs questioning the research in one area perhaps they will look at others and start questioning the value of offering CBT everywhere rather than looking for more effective treatments.

WillowJ, lycaena, Solstice and 21 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When the article appears, I will obviously consider the appropriate response. As part of that, I will consider whether and how to involve Berkeley folks and other scientists/academics.

5. dave30th

My understanding is that these Thursday debates almost never get covered. I think it would be a mistake to automatically assume that it was not covered because it's about ME. I mean, that certainly wouldn't help. But we don't know that's why. It's just as likely because it was a Thursday back-bench debate.

lycaena, Solstice, JaneL and 19 others like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where would we be if we forgot the Art of War!

DokaGirl, Robert 1973 and Alvin like this.
  7. dave30th

I am the only person who should even remotely be thinking about doing anything else preemptively. NO ONE ELSE MUST DO ANYTHING AT THE MOMENT--NOTHING. I cannot emphasize this strongly enough.

Forestvon, meg22, WillowJ and 45 others like this.
  8. Alvin

Agreed.
    I just meant that we should think about ideas of whats possible if they do drop the ball on you (with your permission of course)

MEMarge, Barry, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Are you... are you one of... them?" :nailbiting:

Not paranoid, no sir.

WillowJ, Solstice, Gecko and 16 others like this.
  10. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I imagine they're going to show it to people who might otherwise take the concerns David raises seriously, and say "You really shouldn't listen to David Tuller. I know he *sounds* well reasoned but... look, don't take my word for it. Read this article about him, which was published in a respectable and independent media outlet..."

David's right. Backbench debates are highly unlikely to get any media coverage, unless they're on an issue that the media is already interested in. The media didn't ignore Carol Monaghan's debate because it was about ME - they almost certainly ignored it because it was a backbench debate, and that's what they usually do.

I don't think we need to think of any responses at this point. David is obviously already all over this - that's what today's blogs have been about. We should wait for the article and see how bad it is (if it is bad - perhaps it won't be) - then David can decide how he wants to respond (if at all) and if he wants us to assist in any way.

11. dave30th

Thinking about things is fine. But the problem with preparing a response is that that people are all ready to go with the response because it's ready rather than because it fits the circumstances.

Forestvon, WillowJ, JemPD and 21 others like this.
  12. dave30th

Also, to be clear--when/if the piece runs, it's not clear how much is about me and how much is about the community and not about me. So we'll just have to wait and see.

13. Alvin

Fair enough, always good to properly tailor to the circumstances.

14. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Deny, Delay, Defame.

Thank you @dave30th for letting us know about this upcoming/potential smear job.

I agree with others this is only happening because of your effectiveness at bringing to light these important issues.

As for the "doctor" comment, it only takes common sense to see many of the glaring flaws in the PACE trial.

If all journalists were required to have a doctorate on every topic they wrote on there wouldn't be much news, or opinion to read.

Thank you so very much for your determination, and skill in working for good science, and the human rights of this community.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Agree with those who think that this forthcoming article is a sign that the work done by @dave30th is doing serious damage to the BPS clown show.

Also agree that we should wait and see what it actually says, and carefully consider our responses. Quite possible that we could use this to further expose their gutless smear campaign against science and patients.

I admit it, I am one of those who holds the fork in my right hand. The shame, the horror. :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  19. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I endorse this 100%.
    And this another 100%!
    Exactly. Anything else would be going off half-cocked and playing into people's hands.

Forestvon, JemPD, Tilney and 6 others like this.
  20. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

It's setting up an argument from authority - Doctors have told me this, David Tuller isn't one so how can he possibly have the presumption to say they're wrong?

If DT was treating patients, it would be right to point out that he's not a doctor. But he's writing, and he's qualified to do so because he's a journalist, so what's the problem with him doing his job? If we want to go down the road of people straying into areas where they have no expertise, there are plenty of examples of that amongst the BPS crew.

Another pathetic attempt at a "gotcha" - if he says yes, he's running an emotionally driven campaign. If he says no, in addition to not being a doctor, he has no first hand experience of ME so obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

I am ready to sit at the barricades and do absolutely nothing.

WillowJ, Tilney, Solstice and 19 others like this.