1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trudie Chalder, BPS and MUS proponent - presentations, interviews and news

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Esther12, Sep 2, 2018.

1. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really? Again? Do I have to listen to it and post about Trudie Chalder again for the 1000th time?

Daisybell, JemPD, Ariel and 28 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover, ukxmrv, JoanneS and 8 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would certainly be a positive approach and promote mental wellness for millions.

It might help reduce by 10% the NHS costs, or at least I definitely could misquote research to support that, and by the rule of a third see some 30% of psychologists and psychiatrists actually turn their attention to something useful.

ukxmrv, MEMarge, Sean and 8 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Professor Chalder would definitely improve any organization and serve a positive function by leaving it or not being part of it in the first place.

5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't recall what % of people with fatigue are distressed, according to presentation - 40%?

Maybe they're "distressed" because they're overworked, lacking sleep, living pay cheque to pay cheque, they have a horrible job, relationship etc. They may, or probably are reacting logically to real life circumstances that aren't so fabulous. But instead of seeing that the person's life is a little bit, or a lot poo, they are labeled as having faulty beliefs. And, encouraged to think more positively, and go for a walk.

What people often need is actual practical help. Real change, even just a bit to help out, not counseling that tells them they have to adjust to their lot in life.

ETA: corrected "on" to be "in".

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is written...

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Scientific Adviser :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

8. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's ironic that the BPS approach markets itself as being holistic and deep. In reality it's superficial and has a very narrow focus on the same few ideas that are applied to everything. An example is how the solution it proposes is nearly always CBT.

In the case of ME the BPS approach even intentionally ignores biology. For example the PEM literature is ignored because it doesn't fit into the narrow scope of the CBT focused BPS approach.

JemPD, ladycatlover, Joh and 21 others like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are not that hot on the Social component either other than their unevidenced claims of ‘secondary gains’ such as claiming benefits and supposedly harmful medical attention in the form of over using diagnostic assessments. Missing completely that for example with ME, we are seriously failed by the insurance and benefit systems and almost universally experiencing dramatic declines in income, and that misdiagnosis may be in the region of 40% for both false positives and false negatives, and the unevaluated but commonly reported psychological harm resulting from negative dismissive attitudes of medical professionals.

JemPD, Ariel, ladycatlover and 13 others like this.
  10. DokaGirl

Yes, agreed. The fact that Fukuda criteria were used that does not include PEM, means yet again, the study subjects, either did or did not have PEM. A heterogeneous group.

Ariel, ukxmrv, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  11. DokaGirl

Further to fatigue and distress, are the confounding variables I listed in a post just back a few, ever accounted for? Probably not. But they are important factors. It seems like the BPS Movement believes people should be happy whatever their situation. Do these counselors ever suggest to someone they might have a better life doing something concrete about their bad situations? That their problem is not faulty beliefs. That their job, relationship, finances, or lack thereof, etc., is actually a problem? Do they ever do studies on this?

Providing sensible advice for dreadful problems, and suggestions for how to rectify them other than going for a walk? How about assisting the disabled in obtaining financial assistance the client has paid into? I know, an anathema to these workers.

I realize screening out all confounding variables may be or is impossible. How does one measure if a potential subject should be eliminated because of a confounding variable? On the other hand, if you could do this, who would be left to study?

JemPD, Chezboo, Arnie Pye and 4 others like this.
  12. DokaGirl

Hmg, this must be so frustrating....any good biomedical news out there for writing relief?

Thank you @dave30th for all you do! :thumbup:

JemPD, Frankie, Missense and 6 others like this.
  13. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Lucky you. I just get angrier at them with each new 'study' or repeated fraudulent claim they make.

Noted for future legal actions.

The 'rule of thirds' is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen in any supposedly scientific field. Anybody quoting it to justify anything should be automatically disqualified from any further involvement on the basis that they are, at best, grossly incompetent.

(Don't mean you, Peter. :hug: )

A hammer in search of nails.

Which looks awfully like fraud to me.

Ariel, Joh, Chezboo and 11 others like this.
  15. Baissac

Baissac New Member

Could someone upload it to YouTube? @Art
    Now Uploaded to a more permanent location

16. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh dear God, it really is bad. "The Peak District's quite hilly isn't it?" :banghead:

17. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for tagging - will log on at work on Monday and see just what joys await (can't remember my log in details to elearning!)

Joh, Tia, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  18. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  19. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"not being able to" is not the problem, at least for me. It's the symptom exacerbation that occurs and it isn't improved with training.

If we could increase activities this easily we wouldn't need any treatment because we could return to a normal life just by doing more. ;)

Somehow Chalder has managed the astonishing feat of completely misunderstanding patients for decades. How is this even possible?

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    ola_cohn, JemPD, Ariel and 20 others like this.
  20. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it is not just that their treatments don't work, they have absolutely no idea of what they are trying to treat.