Typing myalgic encephalomyelitis by infection at onset: A DecodeME study, 2023, Bretherick et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was data on family clustering of ME/CFS-like illness collected?

It's clearly a real phenomenon and it would be interesting to know if these cases may be the ones with stronger genetic predisposition. If not, then maybe these are cases that all had exposure to the same strain of a virus that for some reason was very good at inducing ME/CFS.

janice, Jacob Richter, Ariel and 10 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

No, as it is outside the scope of our investigation, which isn't to say that it is a good or a bad thing to investigate, just that we aren't.

Binkie4, Ariel, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arvo, bobbler, Fizzlou and 5 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    janice, bobbler, Fizzlou and 4 others like this.
  7. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the independent article, Chris Ponting says: “ME/CFS is a devastating disease affecting a UK population the size of Derby.' - I've not heard that before, strikes me as a good way of visualising the number of people affected.

janice, Ariel, sebaaa and 14 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

oh no; current caller is talking about LP
    eta: presenter has just told people that the study is called Decode me.
    :banghead:

also for future 'releases'; it would be good to take advantage of the wide coverage to have a link to something brief but accurate on PEM rather than just saying look on the internet/charities websites.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    Lou B Lou, EzzieD, Arvo and 8 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

If anyone is up to contacting the BBC about this. Ie they gave that particular caller quite a bit of airtime to explain the LP; to point out that there are a number of unevidenced and unapproved commercial 'therapies' which unfortunately many pwME are so desperate that they will try.(someone also contacted them about th Perrin technique).
    The latest NICE guidelines specifically say that the Lightning process should not be offered/suggested to pwME.
    Please could they be mindful of this in future phone ins about ME.

Ariel, sebaaa, Lou B Lou and 14 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I think they would view such alternative views as a main part of their programme unfortunately, and they would have no intention of stopping people airing them.

Ariel and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  11. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ash, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  12. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could someone explain the publishing process here? This was a pre-print but is now a peer-reviewed study on the same platform? So this is the final publication for these data, right? Unlike papers on other pre-print servers, it hasn't been sent out to other journals for possible publication?

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This should help to explain the process, https://openresearch.nihr.ac.uk/about, but simply, yes, it was a preprint but following peer review is now available in its final form on the same platform.

Link to final version here, https://openresearch.nihr.ac.uk/articles/3-20/v4

MeSci, Arvo, Peter Trewhitt and 6 others like this.
  14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

discounting the utterly infuriating 'CF' tag line throughout.... i do wish they'd stop freakin doing that!

otherwise i thought is was quite good, and well done to the lass with ME who took part, she did well i thought

MEMarge, Ash, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  15. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree.. she was v well spoken.. she did a great job.

alktipping, Dolphin, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trial By Error: DecodeME Team Describes Study Sample; The Atlantic’s Ed Yong Covers PEM; STAT Busts NIH’s Stumbling Long Covid Efforts

https://virology.ws/2023/08/24/tria...stat-busts-nihs-stumbling-long-covid-efforts/

"To date, more than 17,000 people in the UK who report having been diagnosed with ME/CFS have submitted questionnaires"

@dave30th the 17k was up until the end of last year, we have actually had more than 23k complete the questionnaire (unpublished figure from earlier this month).

Ariel, NelliePledge, sebaaa and 15 others like this.
  17. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good clip, but yes, why on earth did they keep displaying 'CHRONIC FATIGUE' banners on the screen while verbally calling it ME?? It again reinforces the erroneous idea to the general public that this serious illness consists of just 'fatigue'. A good job otherwise.

Binkie4, Chezboo, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  18. JemPD

Its even made it onto Christian radio yesterday apparently (UCB radio)

its amzing isnt it? at least 3 people have contacted me to tell me all about the Decode ME study because they heard/read about it in media. But they are all people who i told about the study myself....

For a lot o f people things only seem to impact them when they hear see on radio/tv newspapers. Its like they just glaze over & take no notice when i tell them about it. It does irritate me!

but anyway at least i was able to share the link again and ask them (again) to promote/spread the word.

rainy, Sarah94, janice and 17 others like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

When you don’t live with stuff it goes off your radar. Also it’s like learning at school an element of repetition is necessary for information to sink in.

rvallee, MEMarge, Ariel and 9 others like this.
  20. JemPD

You may well be right, i have had a major irritation creating day today so perhaps i need to be more gracious.

actually one lady, a lovely person who is sympathetic to us, she heard it on UCB, said that she had remembered what i told her, but that she didnt recognise it from what was said at the interview. She also had the impression that Decode was a project by AfME. So perhaps the interview was with someone from AfME which just focussed on different aspects than what i said originally.

As this latest media frenzy was about the gender split it maybe that is what has stuck in people's minds. I focussed only on the genetic - possibly might find targets for treatment angle so perhaps it just sounded very different.

MEMarge, Ariel, Fizzlou and 5 others like this.