UK: All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on ME news, 2020 onward

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Feb 19, 2020.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Amw66, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 12 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Terrific stuff. Carol Monaghan is a star.
    Also well done to @NelliePledge for her work getting more organisations, like the APPG, on board with the Cochrane exercise therapy review campaign.

Amw66, Yann04, MEMarge and 15 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Amw66, Ash and 3 others like this.
  5. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly, it's a common gripe with the APPG. The short video that Carol Monaghan did on Twitter wasn't much more enlightening - but, I will acknowledge that it's better than nothing. I'd really like to see them streaming the meeting (the LC APPG proved that was possible), but that seems like a step beyond the capability (and maybe the interest) of those who are involved. Most disappointing.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Sean, Hutan, SNT Gatchaman and 9 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good to see them addressing this it is so important

Sean, Hutan, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Following the announcement of the UK's General Election yesterday, AfME have posted an update, which includes,

"From Friday [24th May], Carol Monaghan, Chair of the APPG and the Inquiry Panel, will no longer be an MP as will be the case for the other Panel members; APPGs also cease to exist. Sadly, this means that the APPG's Severe ME Inquiry will not continue, despite it already having held its first hearing session.

Following the general election, we will work collaboratively to reconstitute the APPG. This will require an inaugural meeting to be held and new officers elected. An application will be submitted to register the APPG and the APPG will only exist once the Registry Office has approved its inclusion on the APPR Register. The Guide to the Rules for APPGs can be found HERE."

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/general-election-what-happens-now/

MeSci, Binkie4, Sean and 7 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

To clarify for those of us not up with UK Parliament operations, this also from that AfME article
    So, there's no suggestion there of Carol Monaghan or others currently on the APPG not standing for re-election, although of course re-election is not assured.
    What a shame about the Severe ME Inquiry. Hopefully the work can be picked up again.

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The election is only 6 weeks away, so there will be a new crop of MP's the day after the election. Realistically, with the summer recess in July and August and party conferences in September, we're unlikely to see APPG's re starting until at least October, I suspect. As for the delivery plan, who knows.

MEMarge, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank goodness our elections aren't like those in the USA. Having people canvassing for two years would drive me insane!

Nellie, MEMarge, Trish and 2 others like this.