Closed UK: DecodeME updates, was recruitment thread.

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Maat

Maat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, I missed the broadcast but just now watched the YouTube video posted here, thanks for the link. So fantastic to see Channel 4 take this topic up again! Another very well-presented, thoughtful and realistic piece .Huge kudos to them.

MeSci, Nellie, Andy and 14 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

DecodeME launches data access process

29 April 2024
    • With your help, DecodeME has built the world’s largest data set on ME/CFS.
    • 86% of DecodeME participants consented to sharing their de-identified data with other researchers and 95% of participants consented to being recontacted for new research projects.
    • By allowing other researchers to access this data, we hope to accelerate research towards possible diagnostic tests and treatments for ME/CFS.
    • The Data Access application process is now open.
    • All applications will be reviewed by our Data Access Committee and will only be approved if they meet our high standards, are ethical and worthwhile.
    More at https://www.decodeme.org.uk/data-access/

Jacob Richter, ahimsa, Amw66 and 28 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Blimey, that's a novel approach to research!

Seriously, it's great news. Well done to everyone on the team.

Jacob Richter, Amw66, tmrw and 17 others like this.
  5. Maat

Maat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Jacob Richter, Amw66, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This makes me wonder whether this was asked of PACE participants. The authors made a big deal of hiding the data because of the potential for abuse, which as it turned out was completely unfounded, but we don't know what PACE participants agreed to. I wouldn't be surprised if similar % agreed to the first, although probably lower on being recontacted for new research projects, given how likely it would be that such new research would be similarly wasteful.

Yann04, Amw66 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Super cool to see that this second project based on the DecodeME data will be launched. I hope more people have sensible ideas for useful projects and that more and more projects can follow.

Since there appears to be other viruses that are also capable of Chromosomal Integration, including EBV, that could already lead to different projects similar to the one above in the years to come.

ahimsa, EzzieD, Ariel and 12 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

11. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In ME Assoc: How Many People in the UK have ME/CFS?, Simon M said:
    Wow, if 100k Brits have a diagnosis under G93.3, that means DecodeME managed to scoop up almost 20% of the entire population with ME. I don't know how often researchers try to recruit a significant fraction of all eligible people, but I'm impressed. This shows the ability of DecodeME researchers to build trust and promote their study, but also the dedication and willingness of pwME to contributing to research. It's hard to get even healthy people to participate in things like this, but for many participants, doing the questionnaire or giving a sample was the only thing they did that day or even that week. Thank you.

rvallee, MeSci, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Job description

Summary:

Job Title:
    Communications and Engagement Officer

Reports to: Research Manager

Salary: Up to £30,000 FTE

Annual Leave: 30 days + 8 bank holidays / annum FTE

Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract to 31st August 2025

Hours of work: Full time (35 hrs per week). We consider part-time/job-share and flexible working requests including condensed hours.

Office Base: Fully Remote

Application Closing Date: 12:00hrs, 19th June 2024

https://actionforme.recruitee.com/o/decodeme-communications-and-engagement-officer

Comet, EzzieD, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.