UK: Dr Sarah Myhill

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Arnie Pye, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj.p278

GP suspended for nine months after promoting vitamins and iodine for covid-19
    BMJ 2023; 380
    doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.p278 (Published 03 February 2023)

"The tribunal found that Myhill, who practises in Powys, promoted and endorsed the use of high doses of vitamins C and D and the inhalation of iodine through a salt pipe for the treatment of bacterial and viral infections including covid. She also promoted the use of ivermectin without articulating the risks and sold an iodine preparation on her website.

“These agents risked patient safety in that they exposed patients to potential serious harm, including toxicity,” said tribunal chair Julia Oakford. Myhill “should have notified the public and her patients that the treatment was not licensed, not universally safe, and that there were potential health risks associated with using the treatment in the manner she recommended.” . . .Myhill was also found guilty of serious misconduct in failing to reconsider her treatment plan after she failed to diagnose a fractured hip in a patient who had a fall, and in not recommending his admission to hospital when his condition had not improved."

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would be very cross to see any scorn poured on any of her patients!

This is crit of her not her patients.

Edited to add: i recently saw my post again & realised i had meant to say 'crit of her work' not of her. If i have ever said any comment which was personal i am sorry for it. I dont know the lady personally.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  3. JemPD

lunarainbows and Trish like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's clearly worse to have pushed the various lies of herd immunity and immunity debt, but that's the difference between an official lie and an unofficial one. Truth is political in medicine in ways that no other profession could tolerate as the negative impacts could not simply be buried by secrecy. Worse behavior can lead to promotions if you're not part of the group.

Meanwhile pushing the BPS model has done far more harm, directly leading to many deaths in various ways of negligence and gaslighting leading to missed problems. Two wrongs don't make a right, but they are not nearly equal in outcome and impact. If you're gonna peddle a lie, make it a popular one. It's all about popularity in this monoculture.

5. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Regardless of political views local to one’s country of origin.

Having experience with my own MC and how it’s processes work to uphold medicolegal law, duty of care to public, while trying to support the doctor to understand, how and why, they are breaking their registration requirements. I doubt she is going to accept Retraining and a lengthy period of Supervision (which is what doctors are directed to, and have to do, to get registration back)

She probably, (via her lawyer) rejected the council’s request for a mental health evaluation, which is what many doctor’s have to do if their beliefs and behaviour deviate from their peers to this extent (her peers being other integrative GP’s who are also naturopaths).

The GMC now has multiple events that make her unfit to practise, on many aspects of medico-legal law, as well as previous warnings and suspensions. I doubt she will win her appeal and will be removed from the register permanently.

Though maybe her and her supporters will go the whole hog and take it to the next legal level and try and challenge the GMC legally or just try to gain more political support for their cause.

shak8, CRG, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  6. JemPD

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

She claims she's working now as a naturopath not a doctor, but that should mean she can't prescribe any drugs, which it seems like she is still doing.

MSEsperanza, Barry, Mij and 3 others like this.
  8. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, at least it doesn't mention ME/CFS. We need to distance ourselves from fringe figures like Myhill.