UK Genome Wide Association Study (GWAS) project - draft website goes live, feedback sought on recruitment plan, and updates

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Dec 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No worries at all, I wouldn't expect anyone to remember. Frankly it's a miracle that I even remember it myself

MEMarge and Kitty like this.
  2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too, I cant bear doing those symptom diaries!

I don't have a smart phone because I cant use it to send texts the lack of keys makes it impossible, & it really irritates me that everyone on the planet is assumed to use one.

But am happy to download an app onto my windows laptop if required.

Did see your post about making things as easy as possible @Andy & that's great much appreciated

Couldn't agree more.

3. JemPD

Don't know whether this has been picked up on but someone on MEAfb said they cant provide saliva for DNA (tried & failed) because of dry mouth. I know that's a side effect of many medications & a symptom of sjorgens too.... So some of those who might want to participate (& qualify) may not be able to produce a sample.

I don't know if there are ways to stimulate saliva but perhaps this should be investigated? & if there are ways they should be made clear on the website - we don't want people like the person I mentioned not signing up because they think they cant produce a sample if there are ways around it... that could be a significant number of people?

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My guess would be that a mouth rinse with plain water in someone with a dry mouth would probably do but needs checking.

ukxmrv, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds like a good plan.
    If there are suitable extra questionnaires - and I don't know if that's the case or not - they could be presented as an optional, totally no commitment, entirely voluntary opportunity to participate in additional research. That way they wouldn't put off anybody but could maybe attract people who are keen to contribute to research but who don't otherwise have the possibility to do so because of location and houseboundness.
    I agree the PEM vs PEF question is a major confounding issue and needs to be phrased better than is usually seen. I have 3 neighbours with, respectively, heart failure, post-stroke, and post-traumatic brain injury. All 3 would endorse PEF with prolonged recovery time, the latter two also as a result of mental and social exertion, not just physical. So PEF is clearly not unique to ME.

However, their experience differs from mine in 2 main ways:
    1) They are fatigued and I'm ill & fatigued.
    2) The timing of peak symptom load: their symptoms peak around the end of their exertion, stay high for hours and then slowly improve with rest; my symptoms sometimes start during exertion but always peak the day after, stay high for days and then slowly improve with rest.

Since some members here say they only get fatigue without any additional symptom exacerbation, then maybe any PEM question needs to be very clear about the peculiar timing of PEM?

Is there a chance here to drill down into the whole PEM definition thing? Maybe by subdividing the PEM question, which is undoubtedly part of the basic questionnaire already, into several sub-questions that ask about types and timing of symptoms separately?
    I agree, the question "do you have fatigue that is not relieved by rest?" is misleading. One, there would be no point in pacing if the rest breaks didn't reduce symptoms including fatigue at least somewhat. And two, that question, too, could drag in people with other conditions, e.g. un- or misdiagnosed depression or burnout.

MSEsperanza, Michelle, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be interesting to compare diseases and their related post exertional symptoms, markers of inflammation and gene expression, just to name a few.

in general, heart failure and strokes would be an exclusion to get a ME diagnosis. Post concussion present some interesting dynamics that can be messy in untangling considering that some may develop fibromyalgia which is somehow related to ME.

Certainly the more co-morbidities means it gets more complex in determining exactly what Is the cause of Me and what is the pure mechanism of illness. Are there pathways that are shared with other diseases? There are no doubts in my mind. There is value in comparing ME to other diseases, including MS for instance, and post-Ebola also comes to my mind.

Then there is the case of depression, which can be so very common in the general population. Do we exclude all patients with depression? What about Asperger’s and Autism? What about all the overweight patients? What about all patients who have been slapped on the butt as a child?

7. Sarah94

Yes that's a really good point, I think the peak of post exertional fatigue is probably a good way to differentiate PEM vs PEF? PEF I'd think the peak ("worst point") would usually be immediately or soon after the exertion, whereas with PEM the peak is between hours to days afterwards.

MSEsperanza, Michelle, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  8. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will those with named genetic disorders be excluded

MSEsperanza and Kitty like this.
  9. Sarah94

Another thing... Some people will think "well nobody else in my family has ME, so it can't be genetic, so this is pointless research". So it would be good to emphasise that that's not exactly what is meant by genetic research.

rainy, Simon M, MSEsperanza and 5 others like this.
  10. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not particularly knowledgeable about all the different questionnaires, but I have filled in quite a few over the years. One thing I would like to see included, whichever questionnaires are used, is the opportunity for participants to add, as succinctly as possible, any significant symptoms which they do not feel have been covered by the questionnaire.

After completing research questionnaires about my condition, I have often felt that I haven’t been given the opportunity to record some of my specific symptoms which could help to differentiate my condition from that of someone with the same diagnosis but a different condition or phenotype.

I appreciate that recording and interpreting this type of data could be labour intensive, and possibly impractical with the numbers we are talking about, but there may be innovative ways around that and I think it would be useful to have that data. Better to have the data and not be able to use it than to not have it and wish you did.

[Edited to add: I’ve not managed to keep up with all of this thread so apologies if I’m repeating something that’s already been said.]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Amw66, MSEsperanza, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  11. JemPD

Yes that was my initial understanding of 'genetic' … I wouldn't know that it meant anything else unless I was an active member here. So i'd say that was a very important point. Perhaps it could be added to the FAQ? @Andy ?

rainy, Simon M, MSEsperanza and 6 others like this.
  12. MerryB

MerryB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you mean that 'fluey' feeling that happens when you start getting tired?

I think this issue is confounded by how the condition can change over time. When I was mild I didn't get clearly delayed PEM. At first I felt ill (fluey, not tired) on exertion without PEM. Then I improved for a while and felt fatigued but not ill on exertion, still without delayed PEM. Then I got worse and felt both fatigued and ill on exertion and took several days to recover. Then got even worse and had clear delayed PEM which was really intense - felt like I was dying and took weeks or months to recover from exertion. Then I started some new medications and now I get the intense symptoms of PEM but in short, intense crashes which last hours rather than days, and which happen immediately after exertion.

So I think it's quite complicated!

MEMarge, Michelle and Kitty like this.
  13. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me it happens around 36 hours after I've exceeded my energy envelope – but yes, it is 'flu symptoms.

For me, the pattern's been pretty stable since I became ill in 1976, though of course I didn't know what it was before I was diagnosed. I just thought I got a lot of viruses!

14. Sarah94

What medications are those that have changed your experience of PEM?

Honestly, what you've described suggests that it's worth investigating whether you may have something else rather than ME, because I don't think that's typical. I don't think I had PEM when I was mild either, then I eventually developed a pattern of PEM, and since starting a med recently I seem to have, just in the last few weeks, stopped having PEM (although I still feel shit all the time)... I am wondering whether I really have/had ME after all. (I will write properly about what's happening for me, on the forum in due course. Waiting til things are clearer before doing so.)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    MEMarge, Kitty, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  15. MerryB

Tha
    Thank you for your reply, and it's interesting to hear that you have had a similar experience.

It has been ivabradine and low dose tricyclics that have changed my experience of PEM.

My ME was post-viral (mononucleosis, sudden onset) and I was diagnosed as a 'classic case'. All tests normal so far apart from platelets, neutrophils and active stand test.

It is possible I have post-viral autonomic dysfunction instead of ME as I have a lot of autonomic symptoms, but I haven't had autonomic testing.

I have many classic ME symptoms though, such as severe exercise intolerance, zero cognitive, physical or emotional stamina, flu-like symptoms on exertion, sound sensitivity, GI problems, brain fog, memory problems, rapid muscle fatigue, constant thirst, frequent urination, poor temperature regulation ,and horrendous 'crashes' if I over-do things.

Although I will stop there because I'm taking the thread off topic!

MSEsperanza, Sarah94, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  16. MerryB

Interesting. I get a fluey feeling immediately after minor exertion, as I am getting tired. But when I have a delayed PEM e.g. from a bigger exertion, I don't feel fluey, more like I have a terrible hangover, all my cells are raging, and I got run over by a truck. It feels like my whole body is having an inflammation attack and I feel extremely weak and woozy, but not like the flu.

Sarah94, MEMarge and Kitty like this.
  17. Sarah94

Random question but are you on Twitter as @DrHomeslice? Because some of this sounds familiar.

MerryB likes this.
  18. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In skimming-only mode so don't know whether this has been suggested:

Will participants be offered support with mailing the samples?

Could be relevant for pwME that have no carers or only tiny support.

Perhaps local support groups could organize collection of samples.

I think it could motivate people to participate in the study if it were announced that said support will be offered where possible.

ETA: This occured to me only after I had filled in the form where I suggested to involve any possible health care professionals who are likely to see pwME, also in collecting the samples for mailing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Hutan, lycaena, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  19. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is a worthwhile discussion.

If someone wants to play devil's advocate: Are there reasonable arguments to not fund the study?

(Except cost which is a bad argument for PACE defenders.)

In which way could the findings be misinterpreted?

Of course, the SMC's history shows how unreasonable arguments can be disguised as scientific and have very harmful long term impact.

But some institutions change for the better. Is this also possible for the SMC?

At least, Simon Wessely isn't on the SMC board of trustees anymore:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/about-us/governance/

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    lycaena, Michelle, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  20. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

rvallee, MEMarge and Kitty like this.