Open UK: Investigating the presence of Micro Clots and other blood factors in people with ME/CFS, Sheffield, Caroline Dalton, Ryback, Hillier

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Nov 22, 2023.

1. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amazing! Nice one @Kitty

Hutan, EndME, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  2. chillier

chillier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thankyou so much for coming! We've had a really good response in the sign ups and we hope this will translate to a good turn out of people turning up to donate. I hope the trip wasn't too tiring for you, it means a lot that the ME community are so willing to use limited energy resources to donate.

Robert 1973, Binkie4, Hutan and 13 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only difficult bit of the whole experience was down to my bloody sat nav! It insisted on trying to approach from Howard Street, which is pedestrian only, and was just taking me on laps of the city centre. I decided to switch it off and combine my non-existent sense of direction with half remembered knowledge of what the area looked like decades ago, navigating by landmarks that aren't even there any more. I found it straight away.

I hope everyone manages to get there, or can at least be rescheduled if they're not well enough on the day.

Hutan, Ash, Binkie4 and 7 others like this.
  4. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Ash, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  5. chillier

The samples are being used for two projects related to microclots and related to cell phenotyping in serum swap experiments. I can't speak to the specific plans of the microclots work as I'm involved with the latter project but I'll pass this along.

In the serum swap experiments the main focus is phenotyping the cells themselves/ replication of previous work - we probably won't look for specific factors initially but of course that's the long term aim depending on how these first experiments go.

Robert 1973, Simon M, Hutan and 11 others like this.
  6. chillier

"Female healthy participants needed for ME/CFS study in Sheffield! Can you take part in our study as a healthy participant? Or if you're an ME/CFS patient, can you share this flyer with a friend (not blood related)? Find out more at: https://forms.gle/MWPVwXZzivpc8wui9 #MEResearch #MECFS"

This is our second round of sampling due to the large amount of ME/CFS patients who signed up - we want to sample as many of those ME/CFS patients as we can. However we are still in need of more healthy controls for our study. If any S4ME users who also use twitter feel like sharing this widely that would be greatly appreciated!

We don't have any more slots to book in people with ME/CFS who haven't already filled in the screening questionnaire for the study. So we are currently just looking for sign ups from healthy participants.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    Hutan, Ash, Binkie4 and 13 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The link to Twitter above is to Audrey Ryback posting,

"We still urgently need 30 more healthy volunteers to carry out the study as planned. Please share with anyone eligible/who can spread the word in Sheffield! Volunteers get a £25 shopping voucher. Thanks to all who signed up & shared so far, every sample makes a huge difference!"

Hutan, Ash, Binkie4 and 9 others like this.
  9. Dolphin

Hutan, Ash, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  10. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone tried to get an interview on local radio?

Hutan, Ash, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  11. Dolphin

12. Fizzlou

Fizzlou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Read the comments on the NIH intramural study whilst giving blood for the Blood factors study at Sheffield. Met Caroline and Audrey and had a good conversation. I am encouraged by what they are doing.

Kitty, Binkie4, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  13. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Such a good breakdown of what it’s like!

Kitty, Binkie4, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Blog from @Simon M about this work with a focus on the non-clot aspects.

Researchers hunting for ‘something in the blood’ of people with ME

"Several small and quite different ME/CFS studies have come up with the same tantalising finding – and now a team of two very talented resarchers, one a patient, are embarking on a robust replication that could help move the whole field forward.

The finding? That if you take blood from people with ME/CFS, and add it to healthy cells grown in the lab, it changes the cells’ behaviour, while blood from healthy people does not.

This could be a major biological clue to what is going wrong in ME/CFS, if the results from the early studies – all small and most unpublished – hold up. Confirming the finding would be a major boost to efforts to understand the mechanism of the disease and could lead to a diagnostic test.

Enter Dr Audrey Ryback and Charlie Hillier, her partner both in life and science. Audrey gained her PhD last year on a prestigious Wellcome programme, won funding from Action from ME, and is now working with Professor Chris Ponting at Edinburgh University."

https://mecfsresearchreview.me/2024...for-something-in-the-blood-of-people-with-me/

Ash, Robert 1973, Binkie4 and 17 others like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 9, 2024
    Ash, Robert 1973, Kitty and 5 others like this.