UK NICE 2021 ME/CFS Guideline, published 29th October - post-publication discussion

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Building on a couple of Facebook posts I made, and drawing on various comments here, I started to draft a response to the Royal Colleges’ joint statement. Now deciding I will not achieve the eloquence of either a Brian Hughes, a David Tuller or our own ME Skeptic duo, and that it may be weeks before I have another burst of intellectual clarity (obviously a diagnostic indicator of FND), I will park my first rough draft here:

[ edited - Modified layout]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Louie41, Kirsten, rainy and 19 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff, @Peter Trewhitt. :thumbup:

Noted for future legal proceedings.

Yes. :grumpy:

Jan, Louie41, Kirsten and 17 others like this.
  3. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s good that you’re doing this. I noticed you make this point in your draft and in the comments of David Tuller’s latest blog:
    (my bold)

It’s a really good point. I hope you manage to finish your letter and send it in, and if you ‘d like to get that done sooner I’m sure members would help if you want.

Jan, Louie41, Kirsten and 25 others like this.
  4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

NICE didn't commission the survey; Forward ME did. That's an error of fact which has been repeated a few times. We should be as accurate as we can.

Louie41, Jan, Kirsten and 26 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Brilliant as always thank you @dave30th

@rvallee comment underneath... my bolding
    "a lasagne of madness"!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

alktipping, Lisa108, Louie41 and 24 others like this.
  6. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

cfsandmore, Lisa108, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  7. ArtStu

ArtStu Established Member (Voting Rights)

Have we a thread about this? https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-10-29-oxford-test-potential-treatment-fatigue-long-covid-patients

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What do you think of Oxford uni being able to trial this drug so quickly for exact same symptoms of exertional fatigue &amp; muscle weakness in long covid? Do u agree that BPS narratives &amp; over promo of CBT/GET deterred this type of initiative for mecfs?<a href="https://t.co/MomZ6p1lhw">https://t.co/MomZ6p1lhw</a></p>&mdash; Kerry Newnham (@Squashedhedgi) <a href="https://twitter.com/user/status/1455106937075511303
    ">November 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Jan, Lisa108, SNT Gatchaman and 10 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think the NICE policy of having guideline development groups largely consisting of self styled experts in the field is pretty disastrous. Look what happened in 2007 to ME. Look what's happened with Chronic pain and Long Covid.

Even this welcome new ME guideline is a compromise in which in order to get agreement to scrap GET and directive CBT, which are huge wins I'm grateful for, they had to allow sections on CBT for managing activity and physical exercise programs, neither of which is evidence based. In the wrong hands these will lead to ongoing harm, despite the vitally important proviso that they must be done within the pateint's energy limits. So many of us don't realise we've exceeded our limits until it's too late.

I think particularly for conditions where there is no biomarker, and where there is any disagreement over how to treat it, guideline committees should not include anyone who is involved in delivering the treatments under review, or who has been involved in the research under review.

Such people could be invited to give 'expert testimony' to the review committee, so their views are heard, but they shouldn't have a say in what is decided or even be in the room when contested areas are being discussed and able to sway the committee.

I think guideline committees in those circumstances should consist largely of clinicians with wide expertise in reviewing evidence from clinical trials of all types across a wide range of fields of medicine, and probably of carrying out such trials in another field of medicine - people like Jonathan Edwards, for example, who have clinical and research experience, but not directly related to the condition under review.

They should also include some expert patients (and carers possibly) who both have understanding of clininical trials, and can help the committee understand the condition under review and the care needs of people with the condition.

And if necessary the committees should have the capacity to commission surveys of patients, and testimony from patients, to assess harms and to assess unmet care needs.

What guideline committees should not include is a large proportion of self styled experts in a contested field, some or all of whom have professional reputations, careers, their own research, and in some cases financial interests, tied up in evidence under review and the outcome of the resulting guideline.

NICE seems to have a very limited 'conflict of interest' definition. Why are the above things I've listed not immediate reasons for exclusion from guideline committees?

10. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was thinking of what we need to concentrate on now post publication. Not sure if we have one or need a new thread?

This was my list but sure to be more. Not in order of priority

1. Stop the clinics being able to carry out poor quality or dangerous CBT and GET research
    2. Stop the clinics carrying out bogus surveys
    3. Commission new better services
    4. Audit current services to see if compliant to the new guideline
    5. Join Commissioning groups and Patient groups to try and influence
    6. Check when the new NICE guideline will be updated (10 years?)
    7. Cochrane - keep plugging
    8. Commission proper research
    9. NHS webpage - update to current guideline
    10. Educate GPs on the new Guideline
    11. Educate current patients and new patients to make them aware of new guidelines

11. Trish

Further overnight thoughts about the Royal Colleges' awful statement and BMJ publishing it and any replies.

I think this RC's statement and some of the same organisations' submissions to the draft consultation have revealed something rotten at the heart of British medicine, and that something is -

- a belief that exercise and positive thinking (CBT) are always helpful to health and never cause harm

- a complete lack of grasp of what post exertional malaise is and the effects of triggering it on long term health

- a belief that their clinical experience trumps clinical trial evidence

- a belief that they know which treatment is best for which patient and the have expertise that enables them to 'personalise' their advice to patients

- disdain for people with unexplained symptoms, including those with ME/CFS

- a belief that medically unexplained equals psychosomatic

- a lack of understanding that patients saying a polite thank you and going away doesn't equate to the treatment working

- a lack of curiosity about the long term effectiveness of and of harms of what their clinics do. So no follow up of patients or recording of harms.

What that all adds up to is lack of understanding of the need for sound evidence. There is far too much misplaced confidence in 'doctor knows best', and what the doctor 'knows' in this case is based largely on current fads about exercise and positive thinking.

12. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The systematic evidence review part (ie. the GRADE ratings) of the guideline could be done by people without any involvement in the treatment of the condition, although even then domain knowledge is useful for determining which outcomes are of interest, and other relevant factors like the diagnostic criteria and outcome measures. The actual recommendations part of the process involves weighing up a great deal of different factors and I get the impression that a deep understanding of the condition and its treatment would be essential for putting together a sensible guideline. I don't really see how you can get away from needing people with clinical experience with the condition on the committee.

But perhaps there are things which can be done to minimise bias, like only involving disinterested people in certain parts of the process, or careful selection of the committee

13. Trish

Sorry, yet more incoherent ramblings. I promise this will be the last one for a while. I'll go away and watch some rubbish on TV. I'm really too exhausted to think but I seem to have built up a head of steam overnight so I need to let it blow out here.

On the subject of writing rapid responses to the Royal Colleges' statement.

I think we need to let their own words and solid evidence make the argument for us:

- a few choice quotes from the RC's submissions to the draft consultation, to show up their lack of scientific approach, prejudices and lack of understanding of ME

- a clear definition of PEM from a reputable source

- a link to some evidence about the effects of execise on PwME,

- some data from the BACME survey about what is currently being done in clinics that shows most are still doing graded activity increases,

- a link to Brian Hughes latest piece on LP,

- a link to Graham McPhee et al's research showing clinics don't follow up patients.

I think this sort of evidence is a more effective counter to the RC's statement rather than trying to out-argue them just with our own words.

14. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is useful if the other side try to go for a Judicial Review of the new Guideline. They were given an opportunity to air any concerns. That they chose silence would hopefully act against them if they are planning legal action now.

Jan, lycaena, Louie41 and 11 others like this.
  15. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The NICE Guideline Process and methods manual chapter on updating is here:

https://www.nice.org.uk/process/pmg20/chapter/updating-guidelines

Process and methods
    14 Updating guidelines

Louie41, Kitty, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  16. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

The GRADE process and systematic review is done by a technical team not the committee but the committee provide some guidance.

17. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The committee play a large role in development of the review questions and the protocol though

Yvonne and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Trish

I agree in theory the committee should have people with a deep understanding of the condition but that doesn't at present equate with those currently treating patients in clinics.

I agree that exceptional doctors like Nigel Speight have such knowledge, but it is clear that the likes of Crawley, Chalder, et al who actually run the clinics seem to have very limited understanding or even dangerous misunderstanding. That's worse than useless.

If those selecting the guideline committee can't tell the difference, we're stuffed, to put it crudely.

Jan, lycaena, Louie41 and 16 others like this.
  19. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry if this is off topic, but somewhere on this thread (i think) there are some quotes from the PACE trial therapists manuals on GET/CBT, but i've spent all my available strenght trying to find them. I need them for something & hoping the poster, or indeed anyone else, might see this & be able to directme to the post or the manuals themselves at somme point pls

Louie41, MSEsperanza, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.s4me.info/threads/the-pace-trial.22088/

eta: tag 'pace trial'

Louie41, MSEsperanza, Kitty and 4 others like this.