UK NICE 2021 ME/CFS Guideline, published 29th October - post-publication discussion

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And now Lightning Process coach Live Landmark is also weighing in in the debate about the NICE guideline.. It's in the same newspaper as the other opinion pieces about same topic.

Helsedirektoratet må tåle presset fra ME-pasienter
    google translation: The Norwegian Directorate of Health must withstand the pressure from ME patients

When creating guidelines, it is common to put together a professionally competent group. Nice set up a committee of 21 people, a third of whom were ME patients, relatives or from ME forums and ME associations. The rest had a personal commitment. Guidelines must be based on the best possible scientific basis, however, key researchers with relevant expertise were not invited.

Nevertheless, the members of the committee chose to agree on new diagnostic criteria. They then used these as a basis when evaluating previous studies. The consequence was that all previous studies were downgraded using the Grade scientific method system .
    Since most studies evaluating the effect of cognitive therapy (CBT) and graded exercise (GET) have been performed on patients who met other diagnostic criteria, these studies were graded to be of "low" or "very low" quality.

And suddenly there were no studies of "good" quality.

A natural consequence would be to say that there is no scientific basis for creating guidelines for ME. Instead, the members of Nice chose "to listen to the patients".

That is, they used qualitative studies and the ME associations' online user surveys to create guidelines. But then they completely ignored all diagnostic criteria. The result was "experiences" from patients who may not even meet any diagnostic criteria, because they have diagnosed themselves with ME.

It is these experiences, along with the members' personal opinions, that make Nice move away from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and do not recommend either Graded Training (GET) or Lightning Process (LP).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    EzzieD, Solstice, Sean and 9 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

The Danish local newspaper Ugeavisen Esbjerg has covered ME (particularly severe ME) many times, and has now interviewed the parents of a severely ill woman about the NICE guideline and its implication for ME patients in Denmark.

ME-familie: Det kan forandre alt
    google translation: It can change everything

quotes:

- Had the new guidelines from NICE been in force in Denmark a few years ago, many of the abuses our daughter has been exposed to could have been avoided, but it is gratifying that many other patients can now be spared the same abuses. We hope that all the recommendations from NICE will be implemented in Denmark without hesitation. They are ready to lead into life. This will mean a colossal improvement for ME patients and their relatives, say Vibeke and Esben Ilsøe Gustavussen.

- In Denmark, as Nice now dictates, it is necessary to recognize that in the treatment of the ME patient, be it both in the care and treatment of the patients, permanent damage can be done. It happened to our daughter Marie Louise. And it happens daily in the patients' meeting with the hospitals, the general practitioners, at the on-call doctor, in the job center and in the municipalities. But now there is hope for change. The new guidelines from NICE can change everything for ME patients and their relatives, says Esben Ilsøe Gustavussen.

Lisa108, janice, Hutan and 17 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks Ms Landmark, it is always useful to have further evidence of your lack of understanding of science. It may be useful for my book too.
    Interesting how remarkably similar to some comments from Royal Colleges these are.

Whose voice do I keep seeming to hear in the background here? Someone in a prominent public position who believes that alternative facts are always a good way to counter real facts?

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there someone in the background orchestrating all this? It is clear that people are trying to "disappear" the new ME guideline as fast as they possibly can.

Amw66, Fainbrog, MeSci and 17 others like this.
  5. Kalliope

It is usually the other way around, with the BPS'ers setting the agenda with all kinds of strange stuff. This time it was the professors Saugstad and Rønning who started the debate with a great opinion piece, and now the BPS'ers for once, are the ones who must try to put out the fire.

lycaena, EzzieD, Solstice and 10 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, this does have eerie echoes of other strange happenings, a year ago.

7. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone with a nautical bent and tenancy to analogy? Someone warm, humorous with a string of noble titles..... in the family?

8. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry can you elaborate? I don't remember what this refers to

Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was straying into politics way outside the realm of ME, which is not allowed, so I can't elaborate I am afraid!

SNT Gatchaman, Hutan, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  10. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ditto.

11. Suffolkres

Kirsten, Barry, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  12. Suffolkres

13. Parsnip

Parsnip Established Member (Voting Rights)

Inara, Hutan, Kirsten and 10 others like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

15. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Another opinion piece on the Norwegian site forskning.no Some good parts, but continously describes ME as a fatigue condition, and PEM is framed as "post exertional fatigue".

Ny ME-veileder innebærer en kursendring i behandlingen av kroniske utmattelses-tilstander
    New ME guide involves a change of course in the treatment of chronic fatigue conditions

Some quotes:

I wish people would not argue CFS is not ME when we know these terms are used interchangeably many (most?) places.

Then there is this gem, which should also have been stated as part of the problem when it comes to ME/CFS if you ask me:
    "In the way forward, we should strive for increased confidence in and recognition of the sources of knowledge that are easily overlooked in modern biomedicine: physicians' practice-based clinical knowledge, and the experience-based knowledge that patients themselves possess."

Some clinician's (and non-clinician's) "knowledge" have been placed in too high esteem.

17. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

janice, Kirsten, MEMarge and 18 others like this.
  18. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The clinics are allowed to offer physical activity and exercise programmes but not GET, which only makes fixed incremental increases in the time spent being physically active. I think they can still provide GET when the approach is patient-centred, flexible and gradually increases the time spent being physically active once a stable baseline has been established. The guideline says not to offer graded exercise therapy and then clarifies which type they are not recommending. Whether they can or not still call ME exercise/activity programmes GET seems a bit open to loose interpretation.

*Edited: for clarification*

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    alktipping, Kitty, Sarah and 2 others like this.
  19. livinglighter

livinglighter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If flexible activity/exercise programmes are allowed to be called GET, which the clinics offer to PWME, technically, they are providing NICE recommended GET as it’s the approach recommended.

If the above is correct, it seems problematic as most people associate the term GET with the version used in the PACE trial. I'm wondering if it could also confuse ongoing evidence presentation, just like during the guideline development process when it was suddenly announced that the clinical GET evidence was not the same approach used in the PACE trial?

Plus, it currently looks like some clinics offer therapy programs to people with fatigue caused by various conditions, and some are using the Fukuda diagnostic criteria. Based on an operation like that, it seems possible there will be people who don't have ME/CFS being recorded amongst people who do within their research but are able to withstand more upward increments in exercise/activity.

https://www.cpft.nhs.uk/download.cfm?doc=docm93jijm4n944.doc&ver=1259

https://www.elft.nhs.uk/service/419/Bedfordshire-Chronic-Fatigue-Service#:~:text=How to-,refer,-We only take

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Sean, Kitty, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This isn't quite correct. They can offer physical activity and exercise programs if patients want them within the constraint that patients stay within their activity limits. This should place strict limits on any advice to gradually increase activity for anyone who has ME/CFS as defined in the guideline, as it's made clear that if there's a flare up of symptoms or PEM, patients need to cut back activity until they have returned to their previous level.

Ryan31337, janice, Kirsten and 20 others like this.