UK: REGISTER AS A VULNERABLE PERSON TO GET CORONAVIRUS SUPPORT

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hellytheelephant, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I managed to get more personal 'allowances/reasonable adjustments' from my GP because at the time I had an independent professional advocate, my Rethink support worker or my daughter with me for all my appointments. Additionally, the Clinical Psychologist who did my autism assessment ran some autism awareness training for them (though I'm not sure if they really took on board what he told them in a generic sense). I learned later (when he left my area) that his partner had been a salaried GP at my practice at the time.

So, all these 'reasonable adjustments' weren't due to me having severe M.E. I do however, keep reiterating to her how M.E. patients have many of the same issues as autistic patients.

2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to know how the sending of my notes in a package that was falling apart was secure!

ladycatlover, JaneL, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just for info, the place I order prescriptions is here:

https://app.patientaccess.com/login

The application presumably goes through to my GP, who completes it in about 3 days. Unfortunately I then have to phone the chemist to make sure it's in!

4. Simbindi

That's the application I use. The practice has to sign up with it as far as I'm aware (that is, they issued me my original login password linked to the email address I provided, which I was then able to change). It is a very good system, but I expect individual practices have to pay for a subscription to provide their patients with this service.

5. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just got next day delivery with Iceland. I had to confirm I was extremely vulnerable (I believe I am, at least according to that Asthma UK advice). That was it.

Everything came bar three items. Pretty good. But they had no eggs.

ladycatlover, JaneL, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  6. Simbindi

Unfortunately I am outside of the area my nearest Iceland delivers to (they only deliver within 5 miles of their store). If I pay in store for items in my shopping trolley, they will deliver them later in the day, because I'm within 10 miles. That's not much use if you're housebound!

Wits_End, ladycatlover, JaneL and 6 others like this.
  7. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

was it difficult to get? @adambeyoncelowe I’ve noticed they’re as busy as everywhere. I also noticed that they’ve been nice enough to include the disabled in their vulnerable group. Not that it seems to help getting a slot.

94E0823D-CDC7-4EEF-98DE-998BA226AE32.jpeg

8. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

odd.

I've just had a text from someone
    so, given I had decided that my application was probably inappropriate it looks like it may not have been and this is how it was supposed to work.

Dunno :unsure:

I also don't know what, if anything, happens now.

(as an information text it's somewhat lacking in...)

ETA - but I'm choosing to view it as a potentially positive sign, for me, not for the poor overstretched people dealing with this, checking records, etc.

It looks like the process is - medical records check by NHS - if found extremely vulnerable by NHS then they contact GP, inform supermarkets etc, if not then contact supermarkets only.

Maybe.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Mij, NelliePledge, MeSci and 11 others like this.
  9. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great letter letter Trish, I hope your MP listens and takes action! As I mentioned on the other thread my MP has been quite supportive in response to my email to him and has said he will pass on the suggestion to the Secretary of State on extending the list of vulnerable people. However, he has since sent me another quick message with a contact list of all the local support groups so I have written to him again to further explain the problems with this:

MeSci, meg22, ladycatlover and 6 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@Wonko, that sounds promising. Did you fill in the government extremely vulnerable thing? I didn't because I don't have any of the listed conditions..

11. Wonko

I did, mainly because there seemed no other options available to me, and it did say at the start to fill it in regardless if I needed help, and virtually every other source of info at the time said to if help was needed, or likely to be.

It emerged later that I probably shouldn't have done, that that list was, although not written as such, being interpreted literally, and exclusively - simply via those assessing using a yes/no type flowchart - under which I definitely don't qualify.

I mentioned at the time that the only 2 options were medically 'extremely vulnerable', and not vulnerable in any way - I chose the one that was closest to reality, as I see it (which wasn't not vulnerable at all).

So, as I said above, I dunno - I'll just lie here and wait and see what happens.

MeSci, meg22, ladycatlover and 6 others like this.
  12. Simbindi

I'm wondering if this means that they are going to share the complete list of everyone who signed up (who clicked they needed help) with the supermarkets this week, without any editing. This would be good news for everyone who doesn't meet the clinical criteria set out by the NHS.

I hope so because my NHS coronavirus letter was sent to my daughter from her GP practice, as my 'named carer' and doesn't have my name and address on it for supermarkets to link to! It can't be a mistake as my daughter has absolutely no 'underlying health conditions'. She has assured me that the reason she has a letter but I still don't is down to how efficient her GP practice is and how poor mine is. This is true as they write to her to offer her the annual flu vaccine because she is entitled to one as my named carer, but my own GP practice never writes to me about this, even though I am the one who needs the vaccination for clinical reasons!

The first time I signed up to the government site I ticked I had received a letter, then realised this might mean I get missed, so signed up a second time and clicked that I had not received a letter.

MeSci, meg22, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  13. Simbindi

I think they changed the questions after @Wonko asked about them on the forum. I noticed that the 2nd time I did it they listed the specific clinical conditions in the question about whether you were extremely vulnerable, and also emphasised the 'clinically vulnerable' point.

Wonko, ladycatlover, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  14. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I still haven't filled it in yet, my main concern is that I am flagged as extremely vulnerable. I have no way of knowing if this would happen or not when I just want to be 'supermarketised' and once it's declared, I'm guessing there's no going back. It would be typical after decades of being dismissed, the one time I want to be trivialised to receive just shopping privilege, it doesn't happen lol.

15. JaneL

I think they changed the form so that it was no longer possible to submit it unless you agreed that you had one of the listed heath conditions. I know this because the first time time I tried to fill it in I said I didn’t have any of the listed conditions but was able to continue with the form. Unfortunately however after getting right through to the end of the form the system crashed so I didn’t manage to submit it :confused:. When I tried again the next day, I wasn’t able to continue past the first question, they just said “sorry, bugger off” or something along those lines. So I gave up at that point and wasn’t able to register.

16. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've not received any notification yet. Either they're being thorough with it, or I'm not meeting their criteria.

But I have ordered and received my food anyway (the roast in the bag chicken with sage and onion stuffing was to die for).

17. Simbindi

Yes, I was only able to proceed the 2nd time because the advice (now removed) on the Asthma UK website had shown that my asthma should be considered as severe according to my current medication. (The Asthma UK site now says to ask your own GP whether your asthma is 'severe'.)

18. Hell..hath..no..fury...

They are usually delicious!

19. JaneL

My MP has already responded to my second email that I posted above (the one where I explained the problems for many in using local volunteer groups and urged him to keep pursing the government in getting the list of vulnerable people extended to include those on higher rate PIP and/or in the support group for ESA):

So only brief, but good result I think!

(apologies for not mentioning the name of my MP but I’d prefer to keep my location anonymous on here, at least for the time being)

20. Wonko

A lot of the text and tone has changed since I submitted it, the whole first page appears to have been re-written, parts which mentioned applying anyway if in doubt have been removed, and now they are talking about 'clinical' rather than the more general 'medical' etc.

The one I filled in suggested that people should register and they (the authorities) would make a decision - i.e. if people didn't register then they couldn't be helped - and as I say both the linking page to the form, and other places, said to apply if you weren't sure, even if all you'd need was assistance with shopping etc.

Later reading suggested that my application was inappropriate, but the text received suggest that it was not.

It is 'confusing'.

ladycatlover, Trish, MeSci and 3 others like this.