UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

if the sandwich has virus on it then it will still have virus on it when it comes out of freezer. I don't think it will have been in that pack for more than 3 days so if some twerp coughed on it then....

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. My area has an emergency number you can call, leave a message and they'll phone back. Or you can contact via facebook.

My relatives in London - facebook only. They have as much chance of setting themselves up on Facebook as I have of running a marathon this afternoon!

We managed to resurrect an old Facebook account, but it doesn't seem to work very well on my kindle fire. I haven't got the capacity to start trying to use it via my phone etc. My husband is locked away in a small room doing a 12 hour shift from home. Apart from short tea breaks and 20 mins for lunch he's working constantly & hasn't time to faff with it.

It's a lovely idea, but really when setting up help groups they need to be accessible to the people who need them and facebook just isn't.

I'm not sure what's worse, no help, or the help being there but not being able to access it & the subsequent frustration.

JaneL, meg22, Wits_End and 7 others like this.
  3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My neighbours on my floor are doing their bit for society. They’ve just been out in the car to go shopping; and returned with.... 8 cans of lager.

MEMarge, JaneL, meg22 and 8 others like this.
  4. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wondering about this ? Is this what used to be called Meals on Wheels?

Attached Files:

5. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember not bothering with my county's version as they just deliver frozen ready meals. I've just looked them up and this is the current service:

Attached Files:

6. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Alis that does look like meals on wheels. Different councils have different names.

I used to get that about a year or two ago. Had it for a few months but had to stop. I got an “ethnic” menu think it was called Vegetarian Asian. But I can’t eat aubergine or lentils. So there was only a very few meals I could eat eg veg curry. But they still brought me aubergine dishes and then starting bringing me chicken pies and lamb hot pot and shepherds pie (I don’t eat meat). So I was left without food for many days and had to just have milk shakes that were at home. So we stopped it.

It was a good idea and the food I had that I could eat was tasty, but they are very limited in their menu on what they have available each day - so if you’re allergic or intolerant to something, or restricted diet like me, it gets very tricky.

7. Simbindi

Invisible Woman and Alis like this.
  8. lunarainbows

@JemPD
    If you want a treat, Gourmade has the best ready meals I’ve ever tasted.

https://gourmade.com/shop/

I haven’t had the meat dishes but even their veggie stuff is amazing, which is actually really hard to get in ready meals I find. Their Moroccan chickpea pie is one of the best ready meals I’ve ever had. (And their butternut squash lasagne. And the pear Bakewell tart. And the rhubarb and strawberry crumble).

JaneL, JemPD, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  9. Simbindi

Now is not the time for me to buy a decent freezer, but this looks a great way to buy a few month's worth of treat meals at a time (i.e. over £50 to get the free delivery).

10. Hell..hath..no..fury...

After stopping for a few months, I’ve just reinstated my weekly graze box subscription.

https://www.graze.com/uk/login?clear

One snack box a week will not keep someone alive comfortably but at least it’s a guaranteed snack arriving weekly that ‘appears’ to be completely unhindered by the Covid delivery slot famine as it uses Royal Mail.

They can be put away in a cupboard for a while before eating.

MEMarge, JaneL, Trish and 3 others like this.
  11. Alis

Alis Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks . I have now registered with it. I have to have very low fat meals [ gall bladder/ pancreas problems] but it looks like they do do a range of low fat meals

12. lunarainbows

I forgot to mention, as well as Gourmade

I also have tried in the past and like Cook Food. Their tag line is “remarkable food for your freezer”. Also very nice treat food. With a large vegetarian section as well as fish and meat. And their desserts are amazing

https://www.cookfood.net/

13. lunarainbows

Im in the same situation very recently, does make trying to find what to eat, very hard :(

JaneL, Invisible Woman, Alis and 2 others like this.
  14. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Now pondering where i could squeeze an extra freezer into my tiny flat :D

JaneL, meg22, Mij and 2 others like this.
  15. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Thanks for the gourmade link @lunarainbows i've just registered while theyre still taking new customers even though i have no freezer space right now lol.

I'm extremely peeved after getting my hopes up about meals on wheels. I looked at my local council. It was advertising a meals on wheels service, great prices. So i contacted them and they emailed back saying they don't deliver to my town its too far out (so why is my local council advertising them??)

They told me to try age UK, who of course even without covid have already snubbed me in the past because i'm too young, and the other local charity helping during covid only helps people who have no money
    (ie food bank :banghead:)

The food search continues..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    JaneL, meg22, Alis and 3 others like this.
  16. Simbindi

Ha Ha - yes, I was referring to the fact that electrical shops are all closed and I remember reading something about all the freezers selling out over a couple of weeks ago with all the panic buying...

Invisible Woman likes this.
  17. Hell..hath..no..fury...

no theyre still available on amazon if anyone needs one

Invisible Woman and Simbindi like this.
  18. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ooo my mouth is watering looking at those :) thanks for that I just made an order. My visa is taking a hammering but i'm very lucky that although my family are all a long way away, they will help me out for a few treats - think i'll be having these for my birthday this year :)

You can arrange for mid April delivery - by which time there will be some space in mine :)

I thought about it, but how on earth would I get it into the house :confused:

19. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Government just announced 6 months so i'm going for it. I'll figure out the logistics later.

It turns out amazon only has fridges available, the freezers are from amazon EU and wont deliver to uk addresses.

However, on argos, they have a few available. The smallest one had limited availablilty but wouldn't add to basket, the next smallest one was listed as out of stock but did add to basket! For most of them there were 100 people looking at them :confused:

So i've ordered it, whether it actually goes ahead is another matter entirely but its apparently getting delivered on 9th April.

Getting it in my flat (ex said he'll help) finding somewhere to keep it that isn't annoying and then actually finding food to put in it is another matter entirely lol.
    I can't even order ready meals in advance in case the freezer gets cancelled.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    ladycatlover, JaneL, Simbindi and 5 others like this.
  20. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6 months?

I thought I was doing well getting a tin of corned beef to last 3 meals (the trick is frequent knife sharpening) but looks like 5 grains of rice a day it is then.

ladycatlover, JaneL, Simbindi and 5 others like this.