UK - Resources for help getting food during quarantine and other supermarket related problems

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm doing this too

2. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too

3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

It seems many of us are in this position :thumbsdown:

4. JaneL

Letter I sent to Ocado customer services:

And their reply:

Not good...

MEMarge, Ebb Tide, meg22 and 6 others like this.
  5. Hell..hath..no..fury...

This is really, really, not good. They have closed off to all but the extrememly vulnerable list. This is total control. Whether through incompetance or deliberate, not sure.

Daisymay, Ebb Tide, meg22 and 5 others like this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

...at all.

they don't see a problem and won't actually read anything that suggests there is one.

As then they might have a problem as well

JemPD, Ebb Tide, meg22 and 7 others like this.
  7. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I know this isnt the right thread but i've looked and too ill to search for general ME coping during corvid, but i woke up with one completely blocked nostril this morning and in the last half an hour, my nose has become really stuffy and i'm feeling fluey.

Ive been getting really run down over the weekend from the constant searching and trying to figure out how to stay alive without government bullying so half of me is praying its just the usual ME punching me in the face; the other half of me isn't :unsure:

Excuse me while i search my flat for my stubborn will to survive, i appear to have misplaced amidst the exhaustion. Maybe its in the kitchen, in the form of something nice to eat.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Missense, JemPD, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  8. JaneL

I’ve emailed Tim Steiner, the CEO of Ocado to complain. I forwarded him my original email as well as the response I received from their customer team. Will let you know if I get a reply...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. JaneL

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have just (today) ordered a table top freezer (it was something I was thinking about way before the epidemic); I already have a small one (part of my fridge freezer) so this should double capacity. They were all sold out before and I put an email request to let me know when they would be available again.

I have sort of worked out where it can go temporarily until I have sorted out a more permanent home in my tiny kitchen.

But the thing is I don't want the delivery guy coming into the house so am still trying to figure that one out.

11. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I'm still trying to figure this out too lol

ProudActivist and JaneL like this.
  12. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a bit of a warning here: in my limited experience ("inherited" tabletop freezer from local council when they discontinued freezer meals), tabletop freezers may not be as effective at keeping home-frozen food frozen as "proper" freezers (especially things like bread and veg, but possibly also more vulnerable things like ice cream). So I'd say put the commercially frozen stuff in the tabletop one and keep the home-frozen stuff in the main freezer.

13. Wonko

Tuesday 31/03 8am

Sainsburys have again opened a few days worth of delivery slots for those not on the vulnerable customer list for those needing a delivery.

I have no idea if this is just my local store but I would doubt it - it seems more likely that it's a policy thing to periodically open a few.

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Tesco seem to be opening their delivery slots to anyone at midnight each night for single date in three weeks' time. My daughter stayed awake and prepared for several nights before managing to nab a slot. Each time she tried the slots filled within seconds, usually before the slots had even loaded for her to select.

MEMarge, meg22, NelliePledge and 7 others like this.
  15. Hell..hath..no..fury...

I wish I’d signed up for the rest of them at the start of this. All I have is ASDA and Morrison’s as an option.

I did get a reply from another meals on wheels type service from my local council website. They are in my town and are normally a deli cafe selling food that also deliver.

as a side note, they also do a meal delivery service for the vulnerable delivering once or twice a week and also (usually) offer to pack the food away for you.

They have a choice of 8 set meals (fresh I think) and you can order 6 meals for £24. I’m presuming if you chose the twice a week option, it would be three meals at a time.

They are going to ring me this afternoon :banghead: not well enough but will have to try. To discuss my options.

Twice a week is too much for me. Hoping I can maybe get a delivery once a week of 3 meals and use these to make my rations stretch further and test the waters to see what it’s like.

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My local council's version of Meals on Wheels is to tell you to sign up and order your meals from one of the frozen meals companies, like Wiltshire Farm Foods.

17. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Mine gave three options, wiltshire (that isn't accepting newbies)
    A local company who won't deliver to my town and told me to try age uk - even though advertised on my local council website.
    And this last company who are ringing today. I text them a couple of days ago and got no reply so i wasnt expecting a positive response (though i'll wait to speak to them first)

18. Wonko

Morrisons food boxes now seem to be running a queuing system - not sure exactly what for but it looks like waiting for the opportunity to be able to to add a box to your cart.

https://www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/box/Meat-Food-Box

Queuing time here is showing as 14 and a half minutes.

I was just checking availability, it's probably a good idea to have an idea as to status of various options.

I'm not going to order (I grabbed a sainsburys slot earlier) but, assuming I don't forget, I'll see what happens when the timer (which says I've been placed in a queue but isn't updating) should be up.

That'll be shortly after 10.30am

19. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Well spotted :thumbup: it was the usual page 10 minutes ago, 17 minutes 30 for me

Eta: timer updates when we refresh the page

20. Wonko

I'm through, it is to add a box to cart, delivery dates are available, from the 4th to the 8th.

Not going to proceed further but it should now be possible to order and book a delivery :)