1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Newcastle-upon-tyne Hospital Trust

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Hutan, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

The NUT Hospital Trust operates a 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS/ME) therapy psychology service' to assess and treat 'patients with CFS/ME'.

Their services are described as

"Our team provides individualised care for patients to:
    • Sustain or gradually extend their physical, emotional and mental capacity
    • Manage the physical and emotional impact of symptoms and loss of physical capacity.
    We offer Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) to people with CFS/ME, mindfulness, relaxation and acceptance therapy

After an initial assessment, we will work with you and in some cases your carers too to develop a care plan. This includes:
    • Checking the patient’s symptoms and history
    • Planning for care and treatment, including managing setbacks or relapses
    • Education, training or employment support needs
    • Information and contact details of the healthcare professionals involved
    • Reviewing the plan regularly."
    Books recommended include:
    • Fighting Fatigue – Sue Pemberton, Catherine Berry
    • Overcoming Perfectionism – Roz Shafran
    • Overcoming Worry – Mark Freeston and Kevin Meares

2. Hutan

The Newcastle-uponTyne's core values
    • Patients come first.
    • People and partnerships are important.
    • Professionalism at all times.
    • Pioneering services.
    • Pride in what we do.

janice, SNT Gatchaman, Barry and 6 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Here are some excerpts from the Trust's comments on NICE ME/CFS Guideline draft (from page 422 in Part 1 of the comments). I first posted these on the Cochrane Exercise review thread, but I think potential patients of the NUT CFS/ME service should be aware of the views about ME/CFS that have been expressed on behalf of the Trust. I hate the thought of a young person, or anyone really, being exposed to the disrespect and ignorance that these comments illustrate.

Here the Trust is talking about people with severe ME/CFS, where apparently their problems are their anger, their involvement in patient groups, their misguided belief that they can't get better and their voluntary reduction in activity levels:

Here's a little of the criticism of expert testimonies and particularly that of @Jonathan Edwards, revealing an ideology that non-pharmacological interventions are somehow special and not amenable to being studied in trials that reach normal scientific standards.

Here there seems to be an ideology of clinicians knowing best what goals people with ME/CFS should have, and ignoring the substantial uncertainty there is about illness trajectory. The Trust seems to have the ideology that they can be objective about how much fatigue and disability can be reduced for a particular patient. Further, they seem to have the ideology that identifying psychological factors that are maintaining the condition will lead to recovery:

Here the Trust seems to have the ideology that ME groups hold an unrealistically pessimistic view of the illness and that informed ME/CFS patients are very angry people. They seem to have the ideology that these people being 'very angry' about a particular issue means that they are both wrong and are just generally very angry people. That ideology is surely not conducive to understanding what the 'very angry' people are actually complaining about.

Here the Trust makes clear that their treatment approaches are based on the evidence that NICE found was useless. Clearly, there is an enormous incentive for the Trust to overturn the findings of NICE. Such a conflict of interest makes for strongly held ideologies.

Here the Trust's comment suggests that people will be advised to push through their symptoms. It also, in its reference to 'the CBT model of CFS/ME' seems to suggest that 'catastrophic thoughts about harming oneself' if a person stays within their capacity levels is a feature of the illness. And again, it reveals a strongly held ideology that patient groups don't understand ME/CFS.

4. Hutan

I have sent off an email to the Hospital Trust, pointing out the clinic's apparent non-compliance with the new NICE guideline and expressing concern about the comments provided on behalf of the organisation.

bobbler, Joel, MEMarge and 33 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For example, it is flawed logic to suppose that a trial of CBT or other psychological therapy should somehow attempt to separate the effect of the therapy per se from the effect of the therapeutic relationship. In real clinical practice, it is impossible to have one without the other, and a trial must reflect this reality.

I think this statement indicates just how much these people are rationalising to protect their unhelpful beliefs in their treatment.

I will be focusing on the absurdity of these arguments being raised in serious academic debate in my book. At some point the medical establishment will have to come to its senses and realise that there needs to be more to medicine than cosy political convenience.

The casting of coercion as 'working with patients' or 'people and partnerships are important' is particularly creepy. I never had to defend the way I did medicine with that sort of double-talk.

What is needed at this point is a little humility from people who have got things wrong.

Notice that if it is truly impossible to separate the effect of the therapy per se from the effect of the therapeutic relationship then nobody can know that the therapy is any better than just the therapeutic relationship. So as far as we know it is useless!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    bobbler, Joel, MEMarge and 36 others like this.
  6. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am glad you said it! It's extremely creepy (to put it mildly!). These justifications for what they are doing read like a pseudoscientific and sub-(?)fraudulent framework for coercion and abuse, and I really hope it can be exposed. Unfortunately I think some people understand this, but it's hard to get them to care or to think it's a problem worth doing anything about. I don't know how to do this.

The combination of an endorsement (tacit or overt) of coercive practices in general - usually cloaked in political language (with all this talk of "shared decision-making") - with obfuscation about the effect on outcomes of the "therapeutic relationship" is particularly dangerous and noxious. It's a mechanism for the transfer of even more power to the "therapists" and practitioners in such "relationships", which I am sure they must recognize and seek to promote further. There must be safeguards to protect patients against this power imbalance.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You know what they say, when reality conflicts with your model, stick to your model, put fingers in your ears and go LAH-LAH-LAH-LAH! The model is everything and reality is just a pale reflection of it. The ends justify the means, all the means.

Oh, wait, no, it's the exact opposite. Although there's something amazing that they think that most severe ME patients participate in support groups. They have no idea what severe ME is, or even bother checking their assumptions. Meaning they have absolutely no concept of the worst patients.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2021
    EzzieD, Ash, SNT Gatchaman and 7 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The thing about feedback from patients who report patient organisations are scaring them and therefore a bad thing may contain a grain of truth, superficially.

We need to remember that people attending ME clinics are likely to be both mild to moderately affected and fairly newly diagnosed. In that situation, as I was once, I didn't enjoy going to my local ME group and finding the chat was all about the others having had to give up work. I wasn't ready to hear that. I was still trying to cope with continuing to work part time. I didn't go back to the group because I didn't want to hear that was my likely fate too.

bobbler, MEMarge, 5vforest and 18 others like this.
  9. Hutan

There are two services relevant to ME/CFS run by the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Hospital Trust:
    The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) /ME therapy psychology service assesses and treats patients with Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME.
    The CRESTA Fatigue clinic cares for people who experience symptoms of chronic fatigue alongside a physical health condition.

The physical health condition that the CRESTA fatigue clinic treats seems to be most often POTS, or some other form of orthostatic intolerance. It is looking a lot like a way to treat ME/CFS patients with GET, without potentially falling foul of the new NICE ME/CFS Guideline. Perhaps we will see a trend to people, including people with Long Covid, being diagnosed with POTS rather than ME/CFS.

Professor Julia Newton is (or at least recently was) associated with this clinic. She presented to POTSUK in a Feb 2021 webinar - thread here -as a member of a team of 4 in the Cresta Clinic where she indicated that there was a substantial overlap of POTS and CFS. There was a statement by Newton that the clinic dos not typically treat POTS with drugs.

It is quite difficult to find out what Julia Newton's current involvement in these clinics actually is. The Cresta Clinic webpage, updated in July 2021 does not mention her but does mention a consultant, Dr Adam Evans. The CFS/ME therapy psychology service webpage, updated in Oct 2020 does not mention any staff at all.

Julia Newton's NUTHT webpage (last updated Feb 2021) says:
    Under Department, it says 'Falls and Syncope Service, Older People's Medicine'.

The webpage says
    Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 6.20.43 AM.png
    This seems out of date, as she is, as far as I know, no longer a medical advisor of AfME. She is however one of seven medical advisors of POTSUK.

From the POTSUK website:

bobbler, Ash, Milo and 5 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Oh, they have a very strong concept of the worst patients, that's the problem. :) It's those damn people with 'severe ME/CFS' who just stay sick to spite the clinicians; they don't want to get better.

bobbler, MEMarge, chillier and 13 others like this.
  11. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Additionally, clinical experience has demonstrated the presence of anger in the patient group towards staff."

Why could that possibly be be I wonder ...

12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Like ... ensuring objective outcomes are specified and retained, in order to sort the wheat from the chaff? It is, I think, the non-pharmacological trials investigators who fall way short.

13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds as if they must be some of those who are doing the treatment wrong. I seem to remember that all Simon Wessely's patients loved him to bits.

14. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've always wondered if they would throw specific colleagues under the bus with that line when pressed. The Dutch BPS mop has used the same line of unproper execution of the treatment. I always wondered what would happen if there was some sort of public discussion-platform and they were confronted with a bad experience like mine, if they'd throw that clinic under the bus, and if they would what that would do to the dynamic in their little niche-corner.

15. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. Also if you have an established diagnosis and a significant degree of impairment, possibly getting progressively worse it can be terrifying to hear worst case outcomes are real and not actually terribly unlikely.

Another difficulty is people with resources and sufficient care options preaching absolute rest excellent nutrition and private medical treatment to people who have no option at all to follow this path. People who will struggle to survive until total physical collapse and still be denied help.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  16. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for this @Hutan.

When I see such comments on severely affected patients being shared in writing publicly by a publicly funded body, the publicly funded healthcare body, I am in two places at once.

One. I feel sick.

Two. I feel relief.

Direct. Honest. Unabashed. Loud proud. Open. Straight forward contempt for their own patients and potential patients.

I am gratified to see that some are rather slow to recognise the utility of a good scrub, launder or relaunch.

17. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there anyone else this could or should be reported to? What is the structure of responsibility/etc?

How do we stop people in general cleaning up their public materials whilst still carrying on with these attitudes and practices behind closed doors?

bobbler, Hutan, Ash and 6 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And another one for the file of so-called lessons learned from the AIDS crisis. We may be vindicated with time, but we will have been just as hated, if not more because it has lasted far longer. And that anger was explicitly and disgustingly used against us, just like it was. Zero lessons learned, not even one. If anything, they learned to be even more indifferent and hostile.

19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just been looking through other CFS/ME CFS, clinics (am yet to find one that is ME/CFS) and a lot seem to be avoiding actually saying what they do with regards to treatment by saying
    "using evidence based treatment programmes following NICE guidelines"
    eg:
    https://www.sussexcommunity.nhs.uk/...e-me-service-cfsme-service-sussex-wide/108935

they haven't bothered to even change the name and their links for further info are to AYME that no longer exists, and the Sussex and Kent ME society.

then we have this sort of thing
    "Our team includes professionals with a variety of skills and is able to provide a number of treatment approaches. These include pacing and graded activity, occupational therapy, psychological therapy, psychiatry and physiotherapy."

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Service (CFS) Humber
    https://www.humber.nhs.uk/Services/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-service-cfs.htm

can't see much change yet.

MEMarge, SNT Gatchaman, Ariel and 7 others like this.
  20. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From looking up the details for the replies I made on the Cochrane Review thread:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/indep...ed-by-hilda-bastian.13645/page-85#post-394030

my reading is that ME/CFS patients are parsed very strictly away from the CRESTA service and directed into the Psychology service set up. So I wouldn't see the CRESTA service as a way to give GET to ME/CFS patients, rather the opposite, it looks like CRESTA is ME/CFS adverse.

Under the NHS, POTS has a separate clinical pathway from ME/CFS, so again I wouldn't see the CRESTA clinic acquiring ME/CFS patients via a POTS diagnosis, excepting of course some patients may fall between two diagnostic stools, but that's always been the case.

Julia Newton currently has three distinct professional roles -

1. teaching and research https://www.ncl.ac.uk/civi/staff/profile/julianewton.html#teaching

2. Medical Director at AHSN NENC https://ahsn-nenc.org.uk/who-we-are/impact-brochure-2018/

3.her clinical practice at CRESTA - which I think is a one day week commitment

I couldn't see any evidence that Julia Newton has had any involvement in the Psych service at Newcastle - which operates at a different location to CRESTA. JL helped start up the CRESTA service in 2013 and was the clinical lead for several years but at some point she relinquished that role, and now just keeps her clinical hand in on limited basis. It's generally seen as desirable for academic clinicians to continue to see patients face to face even if only at a weekly clinic.

MEMarge, FMMM1 and Peter Trewhitt like this.