United Kingdom: News from Forward-ME Group

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m happy to contact Andrew. I have emailed him previously re Fwd-ME stuff when he first took over as chair and he was pretty responsive. Will try to do tomorrow and report back in due course.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that's fair to the APPG in that they produced a good report that fed into the government setting up the process to try to get better provision for pwME. An APPG is just a few MP's whose constituents have persuaded them to focus on the topic. It has no official standing and no obigation to continue once it has done all the individuals in the group feel they can do. Carol Monaghan in particular did a lot leading them through parliamentary sessions that are recorded in Hansard and producing their report.

Similarly, I think Forward ME is, or was as I understand it, just an umbrella group for some ME organisations to coordinate activities. I don't think it has any funding or official status.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    Lou B Lou, Andy, Robert 1973 and 7 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

You are, of course, right. I used the 'e.g.' slightly wrong. 'i.e.' would have been closer to my intent. I meant the main UK ME/CFS charities, ideally acting altogether via Forward-ME, or alone.

As you note above, Forward-ME's context suggests it was set up to act in a unified way. It would be best placed to apply pressure to BACME. That is, if it is functioning. The lack of minutes does raise some doubt about that.

Dx Revision Watch, Ash, Trish and 2 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Comment posted by Dr Charles Shepherd on ME Association Facebook post about the C4 News report

“Very good media coverage of what happened to Merryn. Thank you Channel 4. I will be meeting Carol Monaghan MP tomorrow at the APPG meeting where severe ME/CFS and delays with completion of the DHSC Delivery Plan will be discussed. Dr CS MEA”

SNT Gatchaman, EzzieD, Ash and 11 others like this.
  5. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lou B Lou, Ash, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  6. Dx Revision Watch

Today's APPG on ME meeting is its AGM:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1759857371369615503

Sonya Chowdhury
    @SonyaChowdhury

It is my fault there has been no posting on this. With sickness/vacancy, we have had virtually no comms capacity & this slipped off my radar. The APPG is today and the AGM. I will ask Carol to do recorded summary of meeting to share as mins not approved until the next mtg

8:27 AM · Feb 20, 2024

Kitty, Ash, Sean and 3 others like this.
  7. Dx Revision Watch

Indeed, the group has no official status.

Since the new Chair took office, it has had a Governance statement and Terms of Reference etc at the bottom of this page:

https://forward-me.co.uk/governance-meetings/

Kitty, Lou B Lou, Ash and 2 others like this.
  8. Dx Revision Watch

Thank you, Fainbrog. I've asked Sonya Chowdhury, who is on the Forward-ME Steering Group, but she may not have time to provide a response.

Kitty, Fainbrog, Lou B Lou and 4 others like this.
  9. Fainbrog

https://twitter.com/user/status/1759896515420570030

There is then a full APPG meeting after the AGM according to AfME.

This grates my gears somewhat; I appreciate that they are busy and short of resource as noted (and, I know a lot will have gone into the C4 News piece last night), but, these last minute awarenesses of meetings, don't allow anyone time to try to mobilise their MP to attend (even though of course, most of us know their MP won't attend despite being asked).

And they wonder why many will have little confidence in the APPG and the charities who are the secretariat - there will of course also be no live stream or recording of the meeting that pwME have been asking about for a long time either. These are the sorts of things that pwME will share and do some of the leg work in getting awareness out there.

This might be more for a different thread and I'll probably get roasted by some for being negative about AfME..but there is a recent history of cock-ups with scheduling, iirc, a room booking issue rescheduled one of the last meetings.

10. Fainbrog

Have had an initial response from Andrew Morris, advising that he stood down as Chair in 'Spring 2023' and someone named Simon Chandler took over. Clearly, not a good sign that the website hasn't been updated to reflect these changes, so, have followed up with the new chair..

11. NelliePledge

Given we could be having a general election any time from May onwards it is the twilight of this Parliament. Hopefully the APPG can pressure Dept of Health to finalise their plan we will see.
    I have been talking to a person who will be a candidate and stands a chance of election. I said that ideally ME/CFS should be treated as a non partisan issue but that the DHSC plan whilst it should be continued if it is finalised should not be considered as anything than a bare minimum.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  12. Dx Revision Watch

The APPG on ME's AGMs are usually held in May or March. Unclear why this one is being held so early - unless it is pre-empting the release of a date for a general election.

13. Dx Revision Watch

Thanks, Fainbrog. I agree with what you've said above. Would you mind if I post a paraphrase of your info on Twitter?

Peter Trewhitt, Kitty, Ash and 2 others like this.
  14. Dx Revision Watch

https://meassociation.org.uk/2023/03/remember-remember-end-of-an-era-for-award-winning-me-cfs-group/

Remember reMEmber – end of an era for award-winning ME/CFS group

March 18, 2023

"Among the guests last Saturday were chairman of The ME Association Neil Riley with his wife Mary and Simon Chandler [sic], interim chairman of Forward ME, the umbrella campaigning group."

Simon Chandlers has been involved with Forward-ME since at least October 2020:

https://meassociation.org.uk/2020/1...om-the-meeting-09-september-with-sean-oneill/

https://forward-me.co.uk/our-members/

Simon Chandlers MA CEng FIMechE MAPM
    I am an independent member of the Forward ME having previously served as an NHS CCG Deputy Chair. After a viral illness, which developed into ME, I coordinated Deloitte’s UK Health account. I hope to use my skills and knowledge to help develop better services and thus outcomes for patients. Email: simon.chandlers@btinternet.com

In the Minutes of the September 9, 2020 meeting he was listed as a rep for the 25% ME Group:

https://forward-me.co.uk/9th-september-2020/

Present

(...)
    Simon Chandler [sic], Tony Crouch (25% ME Group)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt, Kitty, Ash and 2 others like this.
  15. Fainbrog

No probs sharing. Thanks.

16. Dx Revision Watch

Thank you, Fainbrog.

17. NelliePledge

I think that it is very sensible timing.

Peter Trewhitt, Kitty and Fainbrog like this.
  18. Dx Revision Watch

19. NelliePledge

For an election at the same time as the local elections on 2 May it will need to be called in just over 5 weeks time.

Ash, Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  20. Fainbrog

If memory serves, APPGs have to be re-formed (or whatever the appropriate parliamentary terminology is) after every election too. Wonder how many of the members have already decided to step down at the next election - don't have the energy to look..

Ash, Peter Trewhitt and Dolphin like this.