1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Statement from the RCP and Professor David Oliver, 18 July 2022

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by cassava7, Jul 19, 2022.

1. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Professor David Oliver has made the difficult decision to withdraw from the presidency of the RCP, a role he was to commence in September when Sir Andrew Goddard steps down.

[…]

Professor Oliver (…) said:

"I put my heart and soul into the 2022 election process having stood once before for PRCP in 2018. Sadly, at around the time the election result was announced, I had become unwell after 2 years of COVID medicine and then catching COVID myself. Despite time off clinical work and medical support, I have simply not been able to recover in time to do the considerable job of being PRCP justice. (…)”

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/news/statement-rcp-and-professor-david-oliver

https://twitter.com/user/status/1549117480429359104

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    DokaGirl, Louie41, Barry and 9 others like this.
  2. cassava7

Perhaps this will make Sir Goddard reconsider his stance on the NICE ME/CFS guideline?

DokaGirl, Louie41, hinterland and 9 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remember seeing some tweets from Oliver on ME/CFs issues that I thought were concerning (marginally worse than you'd expect from those deferring to the UK establishment) - it seems that a lot of his tweets have been deleted though soi I can't double check my memory.

DokaGirl, Louie41, Ali and 6 others like this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

The statement appears unclear.

I had become unwell after two years of covid medicine and then catching covid myself.

Did he become unwell after two years of covid medicine, and then, additionally, catching covid? Or was it only after catching covid that he became unwell? It is entirely understandable that when ill it is difficult to be precise. It is however worth pointing out that there is room for doubt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2022
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

David Oliver: Covid-19 and the Dunning-Kruger effect. 13 Jul 2022
    I think this is the same David Oliver, recently writing an opinion in the BMJ.

DokaGirl, Louie41, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The nominations were announced on 28 January 2022 and the results declared on 11 April 2022. I would infer that he has become ill subsequent to the April announcement. The wording of "after two years of covid medicine" is concerning for framing as burnout after intense effort, rather than eg Long Covid following more recent viral infection (which I am merely surmising may be the case). Obviously we don't know details, but potentially there is an opportunity for those currently at the helm of these institutions to observe and learn firsthand.

DokaGirl, Louie41, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  7. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He might mean that he was a doctor treating covid patients (covid medicine) for two years then caught it himself?

8. cassava7

This is what I understood too.

DokaGirl, oldtimer, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  9. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oliver expanded on his tweet here. There's only one paragraph about his own health:

"After two years of dodging the bullet I then caught covid myself in March, and, while not sick enough to be admitted, I haven’t been right since. Some of my symptoms have doubtless been covid related, but others were due to burnout, anxiety, and depression—eventually leading to my being signed off work sick in mid-May, unsure when I can return to clinical work. Having been elected as president of the Royal College of Physicians in April, I reluctantly and with great sadness had to withdraw from the role last week, as I no longer felt able to do it justice. If this has happened to me—a veteran, stress tempered NHS doctor, 33 years in the job, with no long term conditions and previously fairly robust—then few of us are likely to be exempt from the strains of the past couple of years."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2022
    Sean, DokaGirl, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The excerpt is from an opinion piece in BMJ where Oliver describes his experience of working on the covid front line through the pandemic, and the stresses of dealing with multiple deaths, lack of adequate PPE, lockdowns etc, and then his own sickness. He is clearly very concerned, not just about his own situation, but about the state this has left the NHS in with so many staff stressed and sick.

OpinionAcute Perspective
    David Oliver: My personal pandemic experience is just one of many

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Moderator note:
    We ask members not to speculate about the cause, severity, prognosis or other aspects of any individual's ill-health, whether they are a forum member or not.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    DokaGirl, Louie41, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  12. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AN excellent honest perspective of the effect of the pandemic on NHS staff

DokaGirl, Hutan, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  13. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's how I read it too.

oldtimer, Louie41 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The pandemic has revealed numerous cracks in Provincial health care systems in Canada.

Recently, staff shortages, sick leave, pandemic burn out etc., have resulted in short term emergency room (A & E) closures in various places across this country, especially in rural centres.

Millions in Canada do not have a family doctor.

The historically accepted fee for service model is under attack by many physicians who say high infrastructure, and support service costs now make this long accepted model unacceptable. Some have rejected the usual model whereby they are a business billing the government for each consult. Instead, they have opted to become government employees.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but our health care system really seems to be in trouble. The pandemic has certainly exacerbated these and many other health care system issues for individual medical practitioners, and patients.

(Hope this isn't too off topic.)

Helene, SNT Gatchaman, Wonko and 3 others like this.