1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Unperturbed Cytotoxic Lymphocyte Phenotype and Function in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients 2017 Theorell et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by John Mac, Mar 2, 2021.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2017.00723/full

Correction article
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2019.00350/full

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2021
    alktipping, Michelle, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read this paper yet, but, from the abstract, it seems to be evidence against the idea of dysfunctional NK cells.

Swedish and Norwegian researchers.

alktipping, Michelle, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  3. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The result of this study and an experimental follow-up study was discussed at the IIME conference and colloquium in London 2017. That was before the study was published.

At the time, this group of researchers was trying to find out whether it matters if you perform the tests in "whole blood" or with frozen, isolated cells only. They were trying to figure out why they were getting different results than others in the field. They also wanted to make sure the differences weren't just something random (which of course can happen in small studies like this).

Theorell was about to move on to other areas of medicine/research at the time. I'm not sure if any of the others in the group ever performed any formal experiments or studies to compare blood vs frozen, isolated cells?

This is from an email convo with one of the researchers in 2016:
    Elizabeth Unger, who was involved in CDC's multi-center study, was at the conference too. I wonder if they compared notes on this?

It was also brought to the attention of Dr Avindra Nath in 2017. Someone I know contacted him and suggested that they take this into account when designing the experiments for the NIH Intramural ME/CFS study, and he said they would be looking into it further.

Hutan, alktipping, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Negative results are useful too. :thumbup:

Kitty likes this.