1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Unrest - reviews and general articles

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's just too much to read to be able to keep up... I worry that I'm missing valuable pieces that could be good advocacy tools!

Little Bluestem likes this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Esther12, but it is great that so much is being written about Unrest!

Esther12 likes this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed feeling the author’s high energy level as I read her words; she holds nothing back. Ms Salelkar delivers a few good punches, and also clarifies the challenges of what it’s like to live with a disability. If given the opportunity, I would not hesitate to hire her as my attorney!

Sly Saint likes this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Barry, Sly Saint and MErmaid like this.
  6. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

It’s still so difficult for me to comprehend this atrocity. It must be expensive for a government to cover the costs of institutionalizing someone? So it doesn’t sound like it’s a decision based upon cost? Isn’t it cheaper to do nothing at all, and let the patient live at home, and offer no treatments?

It’s all so puzzling to me; it makes no sense at all. No one gains and everyone looses.

I am glad Unrest touched upon this, but I didn’t walk away with any logical explanations as to why this barbaric practice continues.

7. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

It’s almost as if, sweeping ME patients under the rug, is a way to keep them from exposing the truth about PACE. It’s seems to be more of a form of harassment or punishment, to keep them silenced, and it’s even more of a future threat that could be used to remind them, what will happen if they ever chose to go public (again).

ME also seems to be a reminder of the failures of medicine; and the truth can be threatening.

It’s as if having ME is a crime, and punishment is well deserved and issued.

I am hoping Unrest2 will cover more in-depth the reasons behind all of this.

Yes, my friends too, after viewing Unrest, they couldn’t understand why it’s a crime to have ME in Denmark? I told them it’s not just Denmark.

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

A certain level of tolerance and even encouragement of the psychosomatic paradigm is beneficial for government entities. But some of the people creating and selling those theories are true believers, rather than just savvy salesman. When those true believers are given too much power, they ceasing being beneficial even to politicians and government agencies - but the damage is still done.

The only good thing about such extremism is that it forces the cynical and self-interested promoters of the psychosomatic paradigm to withdraw their public support of those actions. They becomes a liability and an embarrassment, and the fundamentalist believers are eventually hung out to dry. This is why Crawley has never been as much of a destructive force as Simon Wessely, for example - her beliefs drive her to do stupid things, whereas Wessely carefully uses the same paradigm as a convenient way in which to advance his own career.

I suspect Per Fink's influence is disappearing, even if no one in power has officially denounced him or his actions. The public outcry is too damaging to various reputations for it to be allowed to happen again.

9. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't know there was going to be an Unrest 2. Is there any information available about what it involves?

Little Bluestem, Barry, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  10. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm so glad that we are finally seeing some research that includes the severely and very severely ill, and we need more if that cruel abuse of very sick ME patients is to be stopped.

Barry, MeSci and MErmaid like this.
  11. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Arnie Pye and Skycloud like this.
  12. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Arnie Pye

[​IMG]

Is there anyone else (apart from me) who thinks this is a very weird picture? It really looks (in parts) as if someone has decided to check the health of Brea's hair.

Ariel and Barry like this.
  14. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Even if I could only look half as good, I wouldn’t mind the colorful hair extensions :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Arnie Pye likes this.
  15. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Arnie Pye I used google to search for EEG photos and quickly found this page with a similar photo:

https://thelizarmy.com/2011/02/from-beginning-to-end-this-was-my-eeg-experience/

Of course, her photo is not in the same league as Jen's when it comes to the quality of photo (composition, lighting, etc.).

I think it makes sense that as Jen's film got closer to completion there would be some professional photographers taking really good photos that would show the difficulties of diagnosing ME / living with ME but at the same time still look good on a movie poster.

Little Bluestem, MeSci, Barry and 2 others like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

I've never had an EEG, that's probably my problem - that plus an imagination failure. Even the one that you've linked to looks like a hairdresser with no medical knowledge has put together a photo that looks "semi-scientific". :bag: ;)

Trish, ahimsa and Barry like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Missed this one:
    Radio times:
    "
    by David Parkinson

Often dismissed as a psychosomatic condition, chronic fatigue syndrome (or myalgic encephalomyelitis) afflicts 17 million people worldwide and, according to 30-something Jennifer Brea's pulverisingly frank documentary, 85% of them are women.

Home movies reveal how dynamic Brea was before a fever triggered debilitating symptoms that transformed her life. But, as the self-filmed footage of her attacks shows, Brea can be reduced to a state of excruciating helplessness that she discovers from online research is also experienced by Jessica Taylor in Kent, Lee-Ray Denton in Georgia and Whitney Dafoe in California.

The latter is the bedridden son of Ron Davis, who is one of the shockingly few scientists researching the ailment, along with Nancy Klimas, who provides several invaluably accessible insights in seeking to confound Dane Per Fink, whose refusal to accept the physical aspects of ME has shaped the country's approach to sufferers like Karina Hansen, who spent three years in psychiatric care.

Brea certainly puts on a brave face in exposing her travails. But there's no self-pity in this admirable plea for medical science to take this cruel illness and its "missing millions" seriously."

http://www.radiotimes.com/film/fs24k4/

MEMarge, Webdog, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  18. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)