1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA: National Institutes of Health (NIH) intramural ME/CFS study

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Simon M, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting that his onset followed strep throat. I suspect my onset also followed strep. I (foolishly) didn't see a doctor about it, but it was unlike any sore throat I'd ever had. Every time I swallowed, the back of my throat felt like I was drinking acid. Those sore throat lozenges were useless. That went on for 2-3 days, as I recall. Didn't fully recover for 2 weeks. A week after that, bang!, onset of ME/CFS.

Sid and MEMarge like this.
  2. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

It may be difficult to find participants for a study that are fairly ill that could be crashed and worsened by a study like this, without paying them (on top of travel expenses, etc). Especially with the lack of trust the patient community may have for the NI . Yes we are all willing to sacrifice anything for great scientific advancements but many of us may be skeptical that our personal sacrifice would even be proportionate to the dent it would make in the scientific ignorance of this illnes . The cost benefit needs to make sense. When people participate in cancer clinical trials they often get both a) the sense that they are contributing to speedy, cutting edge research, and b) a possibility of recovery.

Since we dont have clinical trials of much value for this illness, the NIH should offer pay to participants , beyond the stipends for travel, etc.

This is an example of where adequate funding could speed up the process greatly

James Morris-Lent and voner like this.
  3. Wilhelmina Jenkins

Wilhelmina Jenkins Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do think that it is important to note that all of the patients that I know of who have participated in this effort have found it to be a positive experience. If I were in the range of the cohort being studied, I would not hesitate to participate. This is an unusual opportunity - NIH doesn’t do these kinds of internal studies for most diseases. I hope that it gives us information that we might not have without the unique investigatory methods that NIH can employ to dig into this disease.

Snow Leopard, Hutan, Joh and 11 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa likes this.
  6. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An important update that I have confirmed with Angelique Gavin, the recruiting coordinator.

Foreign (non-US) patients with medical records in English, French, Spanish, German or Russian are eligible for participation in the NIH intramural study. The NIH has a record translation service that will translate documents in these languages provided by applicants.

Foreign patients will be compensated for their participation, but their travel fees will only be reimbursed for travel inside the US (from the first point of entry).
    For example, if you fly from London to New York (JFK) then from JFK to the national airport in Washington DC (DCA), you will be reimbursed for the JFK-DCA round-trip.
    With this being said, I know of one Canadian patient who will have their Vancouver-Dulles round-trip reimbursed, as it's not much more expensive than a domestic US flight.

Below are screenshots from the mail exchange I had with Angelique.

About foreign participants. Note that we talked about the travel fees on the phone after this mail, which is when she told me about reimbursement for US domestic travel.

nihmail.png

About the language of medical records

nihmail2.png

I have applied to the study. I had a phone interview with Angelique yesterday and I'm now waiting for a call from Dr Wallitt.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great. To facilitate sharing:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1217494252437020672

cassava7 and ahimsa like this.
  8. cassava7

Thank you so much for tweeting this Tom! I really hope it will reach eligible patients, especially in the UK and in Canada since patients there won't even need to wait for their medical records to be translated.

Trish, ME/CFS Skeptic and Dolphin like this.
  9. LorsP

LorsP Established Member

I have applied for the study twice (by email) but have heard nothing back. Can you please tell me how you applied / provide me with a link to a working email address? Many thanks.

Binkie4, ME/CFS Skeptic and cassava7 like this.
  10. Wilhelmina Jenkins

Wilhelmina Jenkins Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The study isn’t designed to be open ended. The original study design was for a three year period. I wouldn’t expect the most severely ill to participate, but in my opinion they are probably not the best candidates for this cohort anyway. Being bedridden and trying numerous treatments cause physical changes that could distort the results.

There are, of course, no guarantees that significant findings will come from this study, but if they don’t, with every possible technique NIH has being used to look at these patients, that will at least be an indication that we may need to rethink what we believe about this disease and go in a completely different direction.

I probably mentioned this before, but when this study was first announced, Dr Nath spoke here in Atlanta at CDC. Although I don’t get around easily, I was determined to see him eye to eye. As you may have noticed, I’m a fairly skeptical person and I wanted to see whether he was a reliable scientist.

I talked with him and was very impressed by him. ME/CFS is not his specialty and he doesn’t want it to be. He was asked to do this study by Dr Collins. But he was excited to see what he could find out. Nothing that I have seen makes me think that he is anything other than a world class scientist doing a careful and thorough study.

Snow Leopard, Dakota15, Ron and 5 others like this.
  11. cassava7

Angelique's contact details are:

Angelique Gavin, angelique.gavin@nih.gov, (301) 496-4000 (this is the number she called me with).
    Alternatively you can try: mecfsemail@nih.gov, and one of the following phone numbers: (301) 496-1788, (301) 402-0880.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you're able to reach her. Otherwise I'll let her know and ask her for her most up-to-date contact info.

rvallee, Andy, ME/CFS Skeptic and 2 others like this.
  12. LorsP

LorsP Established Member

Many thanks - I’ll certainly keep you posted :)

cassava7 likes this.
  13. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Associated Press published a syndicated article last week profiling a study being done by the NIH on ME/CFS. The article describes well the severity of ME, and the immense challenges our community faces, including lack of treatments, difficulty getting a diagnosis, skeptical doctors and a lack of knowledge about the disease.

While the AP article explains well the dire nature of ME/CFS, the reporter fails to mention how the NIH has played – and continues to play – a central role in perpetuating this health crisis, which has plagued the ME community for nearly 40 years since ME/CFS captured national headlines in the early ’80s.

#MEAction has written the following letter to the AP journalist to explain the larger story at play.

MEAction: NIH Neglect Is a Key Reason For The ME/CFS Crisis

14. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This article was the lead article in the Science & Health section of our Sunday newspaper. At least should help with public awareness.

ahimsa, rvallee, Andy and 2 others like this.
  15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know of the status of this study? Is it still going on?
    When might they have some results?

tuha, rvallee, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  16. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is the status here? Does anyone know?

tuha, Aroa and Dakota15 like this.
  17. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is an extremely sad circumstance that this community screams for change so much and at the same time there are not enough me/cfs patients in the US to get to the NIH. What us going on there?

lunarainbows and Dolphin like this.
  18. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree it's really disappointing. But perhaps not too surprising.

They have pretty strict criteria - less than 5 years with ME, initial infectious trigger on their medical records diagnosed by a doctor, well enough to cope with the travel and days of testing, not having any other condition that might contaminate the test results. And willing to take the risk of being made much sicker by PEM resulting from participating, which is likely to put off a lot of people with caring or work responsibilities.

With so few doctors clued up enough to diagnose ME in the early stages and knowing about the study so they can suggest their patients participate, and many undiagnosed until years after ME starts, or with gradual onset, I think it's not that surprising it's hard to get enough participants.

And they can only take one or two at a time, and only they have to do controls as well. And I think it has been deferred for the duration of Covid-19.

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think highlighting study opportunities like this one is something more people could do to help with research progress. It doesn’t cost any money.

Ideally we would like a bigger sample size but it makes it harder to argue for with recruitment difficulties.

sebaaa, butter., Trish and 2 others like this.
  20. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't mean to sound ghoulish, and maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but I wonder if they are considering recruiting long-covid patients for the NIH ME/CFS study. If long-covid patients meet the ME/CFS criteria, I'm not sure why knowing their infectious trigger would disqualify them. It's seems pretty clear that ME can be triggered by more than one thing. Covid-19 may just be making its cases more visible.

cfsandmore, Dolphin, ukxmrv and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.