1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA: News from Solve ME

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, May 18, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The Solve Newsletter thread has been merged with this thread.

Spring 2018

Contents:
    Page 2 - SMCI This Quarter: A Summary of Our Work
    Page 5 - SMCI Welcomes Two New Members to Its Board of Directors
    Page 6 - What’s in a Definition? Finding a Common Language for ME/CFS
    Page 8 - PEM: It’s Time to Retire the Term
    Page 9 - Dr. Maureen Hanson: From Plant Biology to ME/CFS Champion
    Page 12 - Advocacy in Action: 44 Members of Congress Unite for ME/CFS Funding
    Page 14 - M.E. Too? Can the Women’s Health Equity Movement Bring Attention to ME/CFS?
    Page 16 - Patient Voices
    Page 17 - SMCI Answers Reader Questions
    Page 18 - Your Support Fuels Our Efforts
    Page 19 - Reflections from Our President Carol Head

View online,http://issuu.com/solvemecfsinitiative/docs/chronicle_050918_epub?e=17941417/61119520

or in PDF form, https://solvecfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Chronicle_050918_epub.pdf

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    MEMarge, ahimsa, Sly Saint and 6 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Shhh, the first rule of IAME club is that you don't talk about IAME club! ;)

MEMarge, Yessica, Lisa108 and 3 others like this.
  3. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting. I like the suggestion that PEM should be renamed "Post Exertional Disability" - much more accurate :thumbup:

andypants and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Spring 2019

Contents
    • SMCI This Quarter: A Summary of Our Work in Research, Advocacy and Beyond
    • ME/CFS Research: The First Quarter of 2019 in Review
    • We Fight for You in the Halls of Power
    • Patient Voices
    • SMCI Answers Reader Questions
    • Your Support Makes an Impact!
    • Reflections from Our President Carol Head

PDF version, https://solvecfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Chronicle_041119_Final_pages.pdf
    Online version, https://issuu.com/solvemecfsinitiative/docs/chronicle_041119_final_pages_3dfce603309c10

6. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, Andy.

MEMarge, Trish and Andy like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MEMarge, mariovitali, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  8. Emily Taylor

Emily Taylor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for sharing! If anyone would like to be featured in a future "Patient Voices" segment, please email me at ETaylor@solvecfs.org

ahimsa, ME/CFS Skeptic, Andy and 2 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ahimsa, Yessica, Sean and 3 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Solve M.E.’s Fall 2020 Edition of The Chronicle is Available Online Now!

[​IMG]

The electronic version of our flagship research and advocacy journal, The Chronicle, has arrived! It includes a profile of new Solve M.E. President Oved Amitay, an overview of the historic ME/CFS bill H.R. 7057, results from You + ME Registry and Biobank user surveys and more!

To read the entire Fall 2020 Chronicle, go here.

For the PDF version, go here.

Or, read the individual articles here:

CEO Oved Amitay Ushers in the Next Chapter for Solve M.E.

H.R. 7057: Historic Legislation for the ME/ CFS Community

The You + ME Registry: Together, We Can

Reader Questions

Solve M.E. This Quarter

Reflections from Our President Oved Amitay

Patient Voices

It Starts with You

To have the next print edition delivered free of charge by mail to your home or business, go here.

shak8, petrichor, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  11. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Action for ME and Solve ME/CFS Initative announce partnership

Action for M.E. is pleased to announce its trans-Atlantic partnership with US charity Solve M.E., focused on enhancing the wellbeing of people with M.E., raising awareness, delivering policy changes, and increasing research on its causes and possible treatments.

The partnership consists of three initiatives:

• A two year postdoctoral fellowship designed to prepare postdoctoral researchers to excel in a career focusing on applying computational biology,
    • biostatistics, quantitative genetic, and data science to understanding the molecular basis of M.E. It includes one year being mentored by Prof Chris Ponting at the University of Edinburgh (also co-leading DecodeME) and a year mentored by Dr Liz Worthey at the University of Alabama.
    • Exploring how a digital platform like HealthTree can benefit people with M.E., connecting them with peer-support, shared experiences of symptom management, and research to which they can contribute. HealthTree has already started to do this successfully for people with myeloma.
    • Global advocacy in collaboration with the International Alliance for M.E., including plans for this year’s M.E. Awareness Month.

From a You+ME Registry tweet
    "We're pleased to share that we're partnering with @actionforme on a post-doctoral fellowship, global advocacy + an exploration of a digital platform that connects #pwME with peer support + other resources. #ME/CFS."

Code:
    https://twitter.com/YouMeRegistry/status/1368962374691127299

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
    Yessica, sebaaa, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From a Solve email.

Solve M.E. Partners with UCLA on ME/CFS Research
    on Brain Stimulation

First time ME/CFS included in UCLA program

We’re excited to announce that Solve M.E. has partnered with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Iris Cantor Women’s Health Center to expand ME/CFS research through their Annual Health Pilot Program—the first time an ME/CFS study has been included. Solve M.E. will support a study by the UCLA Neuromodulation Division on a promising investigational treatment. The partnership is generously supported by Karl Zeile, a Solve M.E. board member, and Dian Zeile.

Fifteen female subjects will receive 20 sessions of Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS), a non-invasive brain stimulation technique with demonstrated efficacy for treatment of depression, pain, sleep, and cognitive symptoms which are common in patients with ME/CFS.

The treatment will include stimulation to two sites in the brain that can help relieve these symptoms (the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and primary motor cortex). Changes in brain activity will be monitored with high-density electroencephalography which can help to improve our understanding of the mechanisms underlying treatment of ME/CFS.

“We anticipate that rTMS treatment will significantly improve many of the symptoms of ME/CFS. Positive results from this study will provide proof-of-concept evidence for a novel rTMS treatment approach for ME/CFS to be validated in a future double-blind, randomized control trial,” said Juliana Corlier, assistant project scientist and Andrew F. Leuchter, MD, Professor of Psychiatry.

Solve M.E. Chief Scientific Officer Sadie Whittaker remarked, “We are thrilled that ME/CFS, a disease diagnosed four-fold more in women than in men, was included in the UCLA Iris Cantor Center Annual Health Pilot Program and could not be more excited about this project. We believe that this partnership with UCLA will help increase awareness of ME/CFS and open up conversations about how ME/CFS is diagnosed within UCLA Health.”

A thread to discuss the possibility of rTMS as a treatment and the proposed study is here
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/transcranial-magnetic-stimulation-brain-stimulation.20266/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2021
    Simone, Hutan, Aroa and 7 others like this.
  13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Video: Advocacy in Action: March 18, 2021

In this new series, we highlight the impact your advocacy has both in government, and in the lives of people suffering from ME/CFS. Join Solve M.E. Director of Advocacy Emily Taylor as she showcases some of the direct results your advocacy has — including today’s video, in which questions submitted by Solve M.E. and the Long COVID Alliance were addressed before Congress.

Code:
    https://youtu.be/mjkVf8csits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjkVf8csits

ahimsa, cfsandmore, Snowdrop and 2 others like this.
  14. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Fauci was stressing the point that long covid is real. I hope that didn't fall on deaf ears.

ahimsa likes this.
  15. Andy

Andy Committee Member

16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The Spring 2021 Edition of The Chronicle is Available Online Now!

2 Solve M.E. Forges New Partnerships for 2021 ME/CFS & Long COVID Advocacy Week
    4 Solve M.E. This Quarter: Spring 2021
    5 Solve M.E. Convenes The Long Covid Alliance: Joining Forces, Creating Change
    6 You + ME Registry Marks Milestone
    8 Patient Voices
    9 Solve M.E. Answers Reader Questions
    10 It Starts with You
    11 Reflections from President and CEO Oved Amitay

PDF, https://solvecfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Chronicle_Spring_2021.pdf

Trish likes this.
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Webinar:
    Topic
    Harnessing the Power of Community for Progress in the Fight Against ME/CFS
    Description
    What progress has been made in the areas of ME/CFS advocacy this year? How have our efforts helped move the needle? What’s our vision for the future? Tune in for a conversation between Solve M.E. President Oved Amitay and Director of Advocacy and Engagement Emily Taylor as they discuss the ways in which community involvement is driving our biggest successes, and why the time is right for taking bold new steps in the fight against ME/CFS.
    Time
    Jun 9, 2021 02:00 PM in Pacific Time (US and Canada)

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PqM8lCJ_TfWIZl9T7ll4Zw

MEMarge, Invisible Woman and Andy like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yessica, ahimsa, Trish and 2 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From a Solve email

"The electronic version of Research 1st is here! Our spring 2021 edition includes insights on the path to diagnostics for ME/CFS and how studying Long COVID could pave a short-cut, as well as a look at how we’re leveraging the You + ME Registry and Biobank to harness the power of Big Data to understand both ME/CFS and Long COVID.

Also included in this edition is news about two new partnerships, and a report on how Dr. Sadie Whittaker, our chief scientific officer, successfully embedded the study of ME/CFS in one of the top medical schools in the country."

Online version, https://issuu.com/solvemecfsinitiative/docs/research_1st_060721_epub
    PDF version, https://solvecfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Research_1st_060721_epub.pdf

Yessica, cfsandmore, ahimsa and 2 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)