Use of EEfRT in the NIH study: Deep phenotyping of PI-ME/CFS, 2024, Walitt et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was thinking about this yesterday. Looking at the entire sample of healthy volunteers and patients, people with success rates on hard tasks of above 90% chose hard tasks 44% of the time. People with success rates on hard tasks below 90% chose hard tasks 33% of the time. There is no difference when you go lower, ie there is no clear dose-response relationship where people getting dismal completion rates choose hard tasks even less, though this might emerge in a larger sample. And it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that just failing a bit is enough to affect your choices. Could those with more stats skills than I have see whether this alone could account for the group differences in hard vs easy task choice?

6/15 pts have success rates on hard tasks above 90%.
    9/15 pts have success rates on hard tasks below 90%.

14/16 HVs have success rates on hard tasks above 90%.
    2/16 HVs have success rates on hard tasks below 90%.

bobbler, Sam Carter, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  2. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A counterargument to that would be that pwME choose hard more often in the second half of the game (I haven't looked at whether this difference is statistically significant). If there was an a priori choice of conserving energy for the study one wouldn't expect to see this.

Edit: My data on this is seems to be somewhat in conflict with what the authors presented in Figure 3a, but this plot would show even stronger that it wasn't an a priori choice that remained constant.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Trish, Hutan, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

But, they weren't choosing hard tasks less often. If you look at your excellent chart - Number of hard tasks, Second-half
    Use of EEfRT in the NIH study: Deep phenotyping of PI-ME/CFS, 2024, Walitt et al
    both groups were choosing roughly the same number of hard tasks. What was different was that a number of the ME/CFS participants weren't completing them. But, they didn't give up and curl up in a ball in a corner of the lab. They kept trying and kept trying and sometimes managed to complete one. I think you could actually build a story here to support the idea that the ME/CFS participants exhibited perseverance.

Sean, bobbler, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  4. Hutan

I'd argue that if you tried a hard task early on and it was hard to complete, you would work getting a number of easy task rewards in the bag. When you had enough of those to cover the possibility that the probability might not give you a reward, then you would think about trying the hard tasks with, as I said, the feeling that you had nothing to lose by trying them.

You would want to get more than two easy tasks completed, because, even if you did two 0.88 probability tasks, there would be quite a big chance that you wouldn't have two rewards in the bag.

So, if I had had enough time to think about a strategy and I wasn't sure if I could complete a hard task, I'd probably complete a few easy tasks with a high probability. And then I'd just see what I could do with the best hard tasks, maybe alternating with the easy tasks in order to give my non-dominant little finger a break.

Whereas, if I was a healthy 21 year old and had no trouble at all with completing the hard task, I wouldn't bother with the easy tasks at all. I'd just select the best hard tasks and waste some easy tasks in between to give my hard task finger a rest.

Sean, bobbler, rvallee and 7 others like this.
  5. Evergreen

Agree. As Simon M said, they're "a bunch of triers":

Sean, bobbler, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  6. EndME

I agree that the difference isn't big, but it exists and it's the basis for their whole argument (at least if I'm currently not misunderstanding things) and as long as it's statistically significant people will be happy with this argument even if it means nothing. So that alone doesn't convince me.

I believe what you're proposing is something similar to what I proposed here

i.e. showing that the data isn't robust and that other things offer a better seperation than their proposed model. I think this is very much in spirit of what @Evergreen proposes we should look at

I think this should be looked at. I will look at it once I get there. I don't think it's a direct counterargument to their argument rather than an alternative and possibly better interpretation of the data (if the argument indeed holds up to an analysis), which would just ultimately show how unrobust this method is.

7. Hutan

Looking at bobbler's very lovely chart
    the ME/CFS participants divide up into two groups.
    In one group they have zero to just a few failures early on in completing the hard task, and then they reliably complete the task. And I think their hard task selection rate looks a lot like the healthy controls.

In the other group, they fail early and they keep failing throughout the test. Their hard task completion rate is much lower than the HVs, and probably their hard task selection rate is a bit lower too.

I'm pretty sure that the key difference is the ability to complete the hard task.

I reckon if it was possible to somehow represent the data points and do something like a PCA on it, you would end up with most of the HVs and half of the ME/CFS in one group and the other half of the ME/CFS and one or two HVs, the ones who struggled with hard task completion, in a separate group. That sort of analysis might be useful, as if half of the ME/CFS participants aren't distinguishable from the HVs, and most of the variation is explained by the ability to complete the hard task (which could easily be a physical disability that should have been allowed for by lowering the click numbers), I don't think Walitt et al have much of an argument

Murph, Sean, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  8. EndME

Agree, we should definitely analyse the data under this aspect. I will do this once I get there. It's probably less of a direct counterargument rather than just shows that their argument meant little to begin with if other things offer a much better classification ( and one could also throw some random forest classifier in there because reviewers and the science community unfortunately loves that stuff).

However, I won't make conclusions yet. If this site has thought me anything we should first do the analysis/look at the data and then decide on what is plausible. But this seems a very sensible route that should be looked at next.

9. EndME

I would also like to mention that whilst the number of people opting for a hard trial increases in my plots from the first half to the second half (both for pwME and HV), this is in conflict with what the authors presented in Figure 3A. So I will have to look at my data again to see if I have made any mistakes. It would be nice if someone would have a look and see if they can spot an obvious mistake (better to have 2 eyes looking over this) or whether this has something to do with their fitting/smoothing/Fisher or even whether "half-time" meaning something different for people that play a different amount of games (since I'll also be using cut-offs at a certain amount of games for my next plots, we will quickly see whether this plays any role) could play a role in this.

10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can. I work on a Mac, so my screenshots and some options might look slightly different to the way they do on Windows, but there's rarely a big difference in the actual approach.

Click on the fill colour picker and choose More Colours. A palette like this pops up:

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 10.05.29.png

Choose the middle one with the little squares. There'll be a bar showing the set of colours that you've currently selected (mine says Unnamed in the screenshot, but it sometimes shows Apple as the default). Next to it are three little dots – if you click that, you'll get the option to start a new colour set:

New colour chart 1.png

You'll then get a new set called Unnamed, and it usually adds whatever colour you last used as the first colour. You can add or delete colours easily by clicking the plus/minus box next to the colour name.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 10.12.14.png

To name your new set, click on the three little dots at the side of the Unnamed set – one of the options is Rename. I've now renamed mine Graph Thingie and the first colour is Graph Beige (you can edit the colour name by double-clicking it).

Colour chart 4 - editing name.png

To pick a new colour, go to the colour wheel option at the top of the pop-up. If you want dusty colours, place the selector closer to the centre of the wheel. If it's not dark enough, add more black by moving slider underneath.

Colour chart 3 - dusty colours.png

Things like this always look really clunky when written out as a set of instructions, but it's quite intuitive once you've worked out that you can actually add new sets. It's odd that it's not highlighted anywhere—I only discovered it because I decided about 20 years ago that it must be possible to do it, and I was bloody well going to work out how. :laugh:

11. Evergreen

To successfully complete this mission, any response will need to address their argument. It’s not that they didn’t notice what we’re noticing – that pwME successfully completed hard tasks less than HVs – they noticed it:

I’m not sure the bit after “but” makes sense – I think they mean that there was no between-group difference in the decline in button-press rate over time. In the blurb under fig 3, they write
    So I think their argument is that pwME were less likely to be successful at completing hard tasks, but they did not fatigue more than HVs during the task, so it wasn’t fatigue that stopped them completing the hard tasks successfully, so we can ignore that wildly significant result. [Mind the gap.]

Regarding easy tasks they say in the blurb under fig 3:
    This suggests that if they saw both a reduction in performance and a decline in button press rate over time, they would have interpreted that as fatigue.

What their argument does not allow for is pwME having less capacity for repetitive fast pinky presses from the beginning of the task. (And they really do, right from the practice rounds as @EndME ’s graphs illustrate so nicely.) That is what, we would argue, the lower rate of hard task completion shows. It doesn’t really matter what they would attribute this to (likely deconditioning). What matters is whether it affected the proportion of hard and easy tasks they chose.

That’s why I think it’s worth looking at the above 90% vs below 90% thing I suggested above, or @hutan’s similar idea.

ME/CFS Skeptic, Sean, bobbler and 4 others like this.
  12. Evergreen

Worth noting how "Matters Arising" works in Nature Communications.

You write your piece, then you submit it to the authors of the paper. You resolve what you can with them, and then, if you still think it necessary, you submit it to Nature Comms as "Matters Arising".
    So it gets sent to the authors twice, once by you, informally, once by Nature Comms, formally.

Then it's either accepted or not. If it's not accepted, you write it as a comment on the website.

https://www.nature.com/ncomms/submit/matters-arising

Edit: added a sentence to clarify.

Sean, Murph, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EndME quoting Walitt: "He mentions that this participant clearly had no problem completing certain tasks but rather chose not to (which we can all agree with), which to them indicates that this is either an invalid performance or an invalid task administration."

But the conclusion of the study seems to be that PWME had no reason to have a problem completing tasks but rather chose not to. You cannot invalidate in controls what you are calling out as causing the disease in patients.

JoClaire, Sean, FMMM1 and 18 others like this.
  14. EndME

I wanted to note that I'm not quoting him rather than paraphrasing him or writing down my interpretation of what he wrote to me.

The situation is a bit more complex I would argue. Person HV F has no problem completing trials but chooses not too, so that's the reason for excluding him. pwME have problems completing trials and don't choose to not try to complete them, so one doesn't have to exclude them. The conclusion of the study seems to be that pwME choose not to complete hard tasks, but that they choose not to choose hard tasks, that is a subtle but important difference.

What is not seen in their analysis is whether being able completing tasks creates a better seperation between HV and pwME, rather than just choosing to do hard tasks. That's something we still are working on.

Sean, Evergreen, bobbler and 3 others like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

A stupid question from me: if buttoning pressing does not decline more in ME cases but failure occurs more often is this due to pressing 'wrong' buttons?

I think the argument is definitely intended to be that no difference in decline of button pressing rate mean that the patients are not even 'centrally' fatigued so just opting to fail. But you don't opt to press the wrong buttons.

Sean, FMMM1, bobbler and 1 other person like this.
  16. EndME

From what I've understood there's only one button. Failure is due to not pressing this one button often enough.

As far as I can tell the part about the button pressing rate is about in game fatigue not dominating the behaviour between the groups and if we look at success in trials as time progress this seems to be the case (but more analysis of the data still has to be done).

Sean, Murph, bobbler and 1 other person like this.
  17. EndME

I have looked at the data and it appears to be correct.

I believe the difference between my plots and Figure3A is that the "half-time" plots are dominated by people that play more games. I will post plots of the first 17 (first half) and the next 17 games (second half) later today (i.e. everyone plays the same amount of games in each half).

bobbler, Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

But doesn't this come round in a circle a bit. Either they choose not to choose hard tasks because they fail them, which is a sign of a healthy strategy and so cannot be used to argue that they have ME symptoms because of 'effort preference'. Or in fact they did choose not to choose tasks they could have completed - effectively play-acting. It would be a different play-acting from the Las Vegas strategy of V, I agree, but if play-acting is considered a possibility then the whole experiment falls down for the same reason that open label trials with subjective end points do. The patients are not blinded to being a patient and they can bias their behaviour however they like. Trish would have brought in her bloody minded streak and refused to do the test but most people would 'help' the researchers by doing the test the way they thought the were expected to.

Or to put it simply if the confusion is that patients are conning themselves then it is foolish not to expect them to cn the researchers just as much. If at least one HV is cleverer than the people who designed the test then why not some of the patients?

Sean, bobbler, FMMM1 and 5 others like this.
  19. EndME

It's not circular as far as I can tell. Their argument is: pwME choose hard tasks less often which is their "effort preference". Not being able to complete them or pacing is not part of this argument (as far as I can tell).

The pacing or limiting exertion as the game progresses refers to easy tasks, but not the hard ones (there was no pacing for the hard rounds according to their presentation).

If the authors would also be able to show that choosing not do hard tasks is somewhat independent of not being able to complete them, then they have a solid enough argument. But they didn't show this, at least not in the paper, but we also haven't disproven it yet. I currently believe we might be on the way to doing exactly that but we still have to analyse the data a bit more to really be able to show that and before we're able to make conclusions.

The problem of patients and controls not being blinded and everything being subject and the methodology not being robust and the sample size being miniscule is a whole different issue. But I don't think we even have to dive into this if we can do something like a PCA and actually show that their results don't show what believe they show and if we can show that the seperation simply occurs via people not being able to complete tasks rather than anything else.

Sean, Evergreen, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  20. Jonathan Edwards

But a I understand it being able to do the tasks and choosing not to choose them would be an abnormal 'effort preference' but not being able to do the tasks and choosing not to choose them would just be being sensible - or indeed pacing. So for the conclusion of abnormal effort preference to be valid we have to assume that the PWME could do the tasks as well as HVF.

Missense, Sean, bobbler and 8 others like this.