Use of EEfRT in the NIH study: Deep phenotyping of PI-ME/CFS, 2024, Walitt et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Feb 21, 2024.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aha thanks @Hutan for the helping hand (before I tie myself in knots) and apologies if I missed the link here of the button-pressing stuff with the point about the fatigue checks relating to the following from Treadway et al (2009):

SO yes, we can't be sure either way on the first manipulation check as those with ME/CFS could have paced their way around any completion issues.

And we have not been provided with either reassurance or enough granulated data regarding the second check?

Louie41, EndME, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am thinking more in the terms bobbler is raising, that the measurements of effort choices in this NIH study aren't being taken in a context that can be interpreted as meaning anything at all. The experiments on effort preference are pretty complicated and obscure. They involve what are more or less gambling choices. People vary a lot in how they approach such choices and I think in the study context it is pretty hard to know what they would mean. But it looks as if the study does not even bring in the weighting factors that would make the choices interpretable. Someone else's sophisticated method has been half-used - producing something meaningless.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Louie41, EndME, Simon M and 17 others like this.
  3. sneyz

sneyz Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! For them to conclude like they do, risk has to be viewed as a constant and solely tied to the actual probability of getting the reward. It would have made just as much sense to assume that the two groups will seek to take the same risk, and that the difference in what the authors call ‘effort preference’ in reality mirrors the real risk (adding in probability of avoiding PEM etc.). If they were versed in ME literature, the latter would actually be a much better model.

Louie41, Mij, Marhalhud and 10 others like this.
  4. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bobbler has done an excellent job highlighting the changes. Personally, I can imagine as a healthy person not having an interest in straining my non-dominant little finger to get a couple of bucks. It seems like a ridiculous test that could be interpreted any number of ways. Did they control for arthritis in everyone's pinkies? I mean, there are any number of reasons people might or might not want to rush to do a harder task.

Louie41, Chezboo, sebaaa and 16 others like this.
  5. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me, the fundamental problem with the “Effort Choice” task, and the interpretation of the easy task/hard task ratio in this paper, is that you could have predicted the outcome before the study. The groups do not come into this task on an equal footing.

Normal volunteers come in with nothing to lose and play a trivial financial game – a bit of fun.

Patients come in with ME/CFS and the following:

· they have learned from their own experience that regardless of how satisfying it might be to complete a task quickly, or how enticing a reward, they often have to forego these short-term satisfactions and rewards in order to manage their condition, in order to get more, smaller rewards long-term, in terms of being able to do a certain amount of activity rather than being crashed

· they are counselled by doctors and other health professionals to pace their activities, to be the tortoise and not the hare – the clinicians from whose practices these patients were drawn all, to my knowledge, advise their patients to pace

· the game might have been viewed by some ME/CFS participants as a test of whether they were pacing or whether they were somewhat reckless even when given a choice, such that the “right answer” was to choose quite a few easy tasks or achieve a balance of easy and hard tasks

· they are playing this game at some point in a week of testing which would be gruelling at any level of ME/CFS, and where their ability to pace is extremely limited – most of the time (perhaps all of the time except in this task), they just have to do the exact same as the healthy volunteers. To choose some easy tasks would have been wise, in order to increase their chances of being able to complete the week in some sort of decent shape.

For all of those reasons, I would have expected patients to choose more easy tasks than controls, regardless of whether they thought they could do the tasks in the moment or not.

So the test does not show that they thought they couldn’t do the tasks but actually they could. It shows that people with ME/CFS are coming in with a different reward and penalty system than healthy volunteers. Or more accurately, it shows nothing.

Patients are balancing these trifling rewards of $2-$8.42 with the penalty of PEM if they get it wrong, during a week when researchers are repeatedly and explicitly trying to trigger PEM. For controls, there’s no penalty.

Louie41, SunnyK, Sam Carter and 26 others like this.
  6. Arvo

Arvo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

a) Twitter user Zedsrigil (Sunsweptforest) wrote a good thread on the use of the EEfRT, making clear how ridiculous it is.
    Twitter.

Friends. Welcome to my ZedTalk(TM). Today I want to speak about “effort preference,” because that is the termite-infested foundation on which the Paper-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named is constructed. Effort preference in this paper is defined as “how much effort a person
    1/
    subjectively wants to exert.” The authors warn us that, “as fatigue develops, failure can occur because of...an unfavorable preference.”
    But how do they measure this remarkable concept, so key to their ground-breaking analysis? They use the Effort-Expenditure for Rewards Task
    2/
    (EEfRT), an instrument designed to explore effort-based decision making in people suffering from Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), anhedonic subtype (Treadway et al 2009). The anhedonic subtype of MDD is characterised by “aberrant motivation and reward responsivity”--ie,
    3/
    a lack of “willingness to expend effort for rewards” due to “decreased motivation for and sensitivity to rewarding experiences.” Anhedonia is used to distinguish MDD from other psychiatric disorders.
    But wait! Surely ME isn’t...MDD? No indeed. In fact, the authors of The Paper
    4/
    carefully (rigorously!) screened out participants who had additional diagnoses that could confuse the results of the study.
    This is not unlike taking an instrument designed to measure Fear of Swimming--as a subset of Fear of Water--and asking people who’ve been pre-screened
    5/
    and found *not* to suffer from Fear of Water to complete it...then using the results to claim they suffer from Fear of Swimming whilst also deliberately ignoring the fact that these people are all wearing casts bc they have broken limbs, so their behavior during the exercise
    6/
    will reflect the fact that they cannot currently swim.
    It is patently, flagrantly absurd.
    To be very clear, the authors selected people to study who are very sick and then deliberately applied an inappropriate tool that assumes *low motivation* and *lack of appreciation of
    7/
    rewards* leads to less effort. Results of the activity are interpreted accordingly. (Amusing in context of ME, where ppl are more likely to behave like the Black Knight--continuing to push thru even as their life blood drains away--than a couch potato.) [Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail clip here]
    8/
    Anyway, the whole paper is constructed around this, and it’s actually totally irrelevant to ME.
    The authors even run regressions on the EEfRT results and attempt to correlate all the biophysical findings with this very particular key trait of MDD, piling a
    9/
    statistical disaster on top of the dumpsterfire they made of research design.
    The way they discuss the findings also tacitly implies some causality (suggesting that effort preference for non-effort leads to deconditioning over time leads to, you guessed it, disability),
    10/
    although they are careful to say they can’t make causal claims.
    As anything other than a joke or a teaching tool (perfect for undergrad methods classes!), this paper is an outrage.
    11/
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1760277547072557565

So, outrage thread to follow.
    12/12

https://twitter.com/user/status/1760790762608840751

Thread Reader App:
    Thread by @sunsweptforest on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App

b) I'm sorry if I'm repeating comments, but physical disability is not anhedonia FFS. (What an incredibly cruel notion.) Why is this study using a tool that was specifically designed for a subcriterium of depression, to "test the relationship between anhedonia and putative reward 'wanting' in humans" and why is it giving its results such a prominent place, woven throughout the paper? (I know, Walitt believes ME is hysteria etc,etc, but who let him?) Link to Treadway et al presenting the EEfRT.

You do not take this illness seriously at all if you are still preferring to focus on behaviour and "motivation" as the key things that should be studied to solve the problem. You also demonstrate that you have not listened at all to the colossal megamass of people with lived experience who told you that these things are not the problem.

Also: I don't see how you can claim to have found "effort preference" from the EEfRT. I can see how it might observe anhedonia in people with major depressive disorder, where you're not really motivated to push a bit harder for an extra dollar because of the depression, but that's not the same as securely measuring a "preference" of effort in non-depressed people, let alone disabled ones. (And don't get me started on that it justifies then proclaiming that "preference" the core issue.)

ME patients lives are hard, and they have to make tough choices and accept painful limitations on their activities daily - you're not measuring any "effort preference", "how much effort a person subjectively wants to exert" in their daily lives from wheter a couple of people are inclined to push a button a tad faster for $3.23 instead of $2.05. Nor can you claim that they have "avoided" the harder task which would have gotten them $3.23.

The paper describes "effort preference" as "the decision to avoid the harder task when decision-making is unsupervised and reward values and probabilities of receiving a reward are standardized".

So this paper made up the term "effort preference" and describes it as the decision to avoid harder tasks when no one is looking. It's incredibly disablist and offensive to coin such a term to describe people with a serious disabling physical illness.

(It's also a weird explanation as its negative-based, in that it means "avoidance of hard things"; "effort preference" as a term in itself should be neutral no? And then theoretically you could have a high or low effort preference. But hey, when you're busy putting the glittery new words on your same-old presentation of ME as activity avoidance I guess one might overlook that.)

Zombie Lurker, Fero, Chezboo and 20 others like this.
  7. Arvo

Again, the EEfRT focusses on anhedonia in people with major depression. And for that it uses "the proportion of hard task choices" as a metric. The original study found that "the proportion of hard-task choices correlated inversely with Chapman Anhedonia score" and the Beck Depression Indext (BDI) melancholy items.

So they took a tool that was not designed to measure why disabled people are not functioning at a level of healthy people, and applied its metric to the group it was not intended to be used on.

'Because some ME patients weren't particularly motivated to push a button a bit faster for a couple of dollars we are now declaring that the defining movement of this illness [by which I guess they mean the defining behaviour leading to disability] is that patients are not motivated to do more difficult things.'

(Linguistically, can an illness have "motor behavior"?)

There might be interesting data to be had from this paper, but there are little effort preference wees all over it and I'm appalled at the people who agreed to present their work alongside this. They might be doing good and capable work, but apparently they were also willing to whitewash this disablist and low quality crap by giving it an impression of respectability via letting it lift along with them - they can't be ignorant of it causing serious harm.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    Louie41, EndME, Fero and 19 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been able yet to read the whole paper or study the effort preference nonsense, so I may be repeating what others have said.

Choosing the easier option would likely have been necessary for me after a few minutes, as I would not be able to continue high speed repetitive finger presses for the whole 20 minutes.

Muscle fatiguability is real and prevents me handwriting more than a cheque, and slows down my typing speed and accuracy if I don't take breaks every few minutes. It's not just about pacing to avoid future crashing, it's immediate and increasing debilitation.

Louie41, EndME, rainy and 30 others like this.
  9. Arvo

I understand the EEfRT should be set up to avoid such limitations, as it is meant to measure purely motivation in MDD patients, but I was wondering how they would have done so in Walit et al..

(In Treadway et al participants would also play four practise trials before starting to play the game)

EndME, Fero, Sean and 2 others like this.
  10. Trish

But as I understand it the test is designed to avoid fatiguing physically healthy people, not ones with abnormally debilitating physical and cognitive fatiguability.

EndME, Fero, Sean and 7 others like this.
  11. Arvo

Indeed. Using EEfRT as saying something significant about non-depressed ME patients seems bull to me (it was never meant to do that), and what Walitt et al did with it is IMO reprehensible, but if we go along with it for a minute: how did they ensure that the result was not the effect of physical or cognitive fatiguability? I can't see it addressed in their methods section.

If you reverse it and wanted to study depression-caused motivation issues in ME patients, then you'd have to figure out a way around that too.

Louie41, RedFox, EndME and 8 others like this.
  12. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re:effort preference; I'm not able to make a cogent argument for this but for anyone looking to come up with rebuttal points, I wonder if evoked potentials offer a useful contrast. The common set up for EP testing is scalp electrode measure of brain activity while the testee makes a mechanical response (pushing a button) to simple images displayed on a screen - the measure is of cognitive delay in various forms rather than physical strength, but delay in making exertion has an impact on level of exertion in a timed test. That is cognitive disfunction quite seperate from an motivation issues may play a role in reduced exertion.

13. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does the EEfRT test mean anything when used on PwME vs healthy volunteers?

Thanks to @bobbler for digging out so much useful information. I'm afraid I bailed out after reading ten pages of printed posts, and haven't reached the end of this ever-growing thread. My thoughts so far:

Comparing Hard vs Easy tasks
    I always find it helps to understand the test properly first, ideally by doing it myself. That's not possible, so here is an attempted summary:

Hard task: Press a button 98 times in 21 seconds with the little finger of the non-dominant hand. + 9 seconds to read screen information (=resting the finger) = 30 seconds in total

Easy task: Press a button 30 times in 7 seconds with the index finger of dominant hand + 7 seconds of screen information = 15 seconds in total.

Participants complete as many trials (individual tasks) as they can in 15 minutes.

(I think that if you press the button faster, e.g. 30 times in five seconds on the easy task, you reach the end of the task and can start the next one (so you can complete more tasks that way))

Let’s compare the extremes of always selecting hard tasks vs always selecting easy ones.

Hard task (little finger) 30 trials, 2,940 button presses, 10 ½ minutes pressing/4 1/2 minutes ‘resting’.
    Easy task (index finger): 60 trials, 1,800 button presses, 7 minutes pressing/8 minutes ‘resting’.

The hard-task-only option takes 63% more presses using their non-dominant little finger and comes with a lot less rest/non-pressing) time (less than a third vs more than half)than sticking to easy tasks.

If I understand correctly, the lowest reward on offer is $2 and the highest (which depends on an element of luck) is $8.42 i.e. an extra $6.42 for the best possible performance. This is on top of a baseline payment to take part, so it's not a huge incentive.

The test was developed and validated on undergraduates – not on sick people or even older healthy volunteers. The developers validated that even the hard task didn’t cause exhaustion to their undergraduate subjects.

The paper presents no evidence that this is not a fatiguing task for people with ME. The paper makes a leap by comparing with the test grip test, but presents neither subjective measures of fatigue nor measures of muscle or motor fatigue for the hard/easy test. Nor do they explore if the modest rewards were a meaningful incentive, given that this is a CHOICE test (unlike the CPET where everyone understands the whole point is to exercise to exhaustion).

Another way of looking at this is the test offers a reward in return for the cost of the minor exertion of button pressing. But that relies on an assumption that button-pressing is not exhausting for PwME. If it is, the cost of any trial, and especially cumulative trials, is higher for patients than for healthy volunteers.

So it does not appear to be a fair comparison.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    Louie41, Ash, ahimsa and 37 others like this.
  14. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

caution - attitude - not much about this paper seems to be fair and it certainly is not what we were led to expect NOR is it what we deserve!!!

15. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

a very helpful summary of the situation.

Louie41, Laurie P, Simon M and 7 others like this.
  16. Simon M

My head is spinning and I'm going to bow out of the EFFrt discussion. Here's what I think I've learnt from others' helpful posts (and quotes from the underlying papers):

1. EEfRT was developed to probe anhedonia (an inability or relative inability to experience pleasure, presumably the rough opposite of hedonism) by measuring "reward motivation". They did this to better understand depression, where anhedonia is a core concept:
    They developed the test on an apparently-healthy cohort of undergraduates, picking a selection that had a range of anhedonia scores. Crucially, EEfRT was tested to ensure that it did not exhaust the undergrad sample (shown by a 96% to 100% completion rate for trials).

2. The test rests on choices. It's also designed to be complex to make it hard to gauge what the best strategy is, though I think most people would conclude that at least sometimes harder choices are a better call. The rewards are small. Having a choice, with small rewards for probably marginal gain would probably bias those with a fatiguing illness to choose the easier task more often.

3. Wallit, 2024 chose to repurpose EEfRT as a measure of "effort preference". There was no explanation for doing so.

Not only did the paper not justify the repurposing of a test designed to measure reward motivation, it also failed to check that the test did not exhaust subjects who were chosen because they had a fatiguing illness.

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, we can assume that the test of reward motivation is harder for fatigued people than for non-fatigued people. The whole point of the test is to cause fatigue (effort), to allow testing of how motivatable subjects were.

4. They tested a tiny cohort (16 patients, 17 HV) and found only a modest and unsurprising increase in the selection of easy tasks by patients.

5. They then compared the proportion of hard choices from this test with an entirely separate hand grip test.

Wallit et al found...
    correction: there was a strong correlation for MEcfs, none for HV
    They found NO correlation (p=0.89) for HV between the proportion of hard tasks in EFEfRT and the time to failure in the separate hand grip test. This isn't surprising, since a measure of reward motivation would not be expected to correlate with hand grip fatigability, a test with no reward.

However, they found a relatively high correlation (r=0.57) for PwM. The correlation might be because, for PwME, both tests are a test of fatigability/exhaustability.

6. The authors concluded that since apples didn't behave the same way as oranges, the oranges had an effort preference issue - measured by a test of reward motivation.

Time to go back to bed.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  17. Trish

Thank you so much @Simon M for clarifying a very confusing situation. Would it be OK for your analysis to be used by those writing to people at NIH, and possibly writing to the journal that published it, to complain about the publication? I think it would be very helpful to have it spelled out so clearly.
    I would like Nath to be asked how it came about that such misuse of a test and invention of a false hypothesis came about and why noone had insisted the whole invented and unevidenced premise of effort preference be removed from what is meant to be a biomedical science paper.

Louie41, Sam Carter, Binkie4 and 22 others like this.
  18. Simon M

A couple of points I left off my 'final' post:
    @bobbler quoted Treadway saying that men were more likely than women to choose hard tasks. The HVs had a slightly higher male ratio - I wonder if the study allowed for that? The marginal 0.04 p value for hard choice ratio being lower for ME folk might disappear.

@bobbler also said Treadway (EEfRT source) said EEfRT's main effect was visible when taking into account the probability of a win given to each person before they made a choice. The win prob applies to both easy and hard choices, so if the probability is 88% or 50% people would be more likely to choose a hard task than an easy one. What I'm not clear on is if Treadway specified what primary measure of EEfRT should be used: Wallit 2024 said it was the proportion of hard tasks (presumably independent of probability).

Louie41, Binkie4, Arvo and 11 others like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the summary @Simon M & thanks all those digging into the details

Louie41, Arvo, Sean and 13 others like this.
  20. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and we don't know that the patients were able to do the same amount of hard tasks as the HVs, because they didn't do them!

RedFox, MEMarge, rvallee and 6 others like this.