WASF3 disrupts mitochondrial respiration and may mediate exercise intolerance in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, 2023 Hwang et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hoopoe, Jul 1, 2022.

1. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ukxmrv, Ash and Amw66 like this.
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MBL deficiency is common in the general population.

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ref 31 has a thread Endoplasmic Reticulum ER Stress Response Failure in Diseases (2020)

ukxmrv, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also, apparently spike protein can bind to GRP78/BiP. See this this comment which asks if that could overload the ER stress sensor pathways and lead to ER stress response failure.

Ariel, ukxmrv, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  5. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean likes this.
  6. DMissa

DMissa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hey @B_V! As August comes to a close here, was just wondering if WP is still slated to publish this soon, from what you know? Thanks for sharing this with us.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
    Ariel, EzzieD, Robert 1973 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, Robert 1973, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  9. B_V

B_V Established Member (Voting Rights)

Oh yes, it is slated to run after Labor Day now ..so should be next week. I should have learned not to anticipate publication dates by now, haha.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2023
    ahimsa, Solstice, Ariel and 16 others like this.
  10. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, @B_V! Looking forward to reading. I think my local press (Star Tribune in Minneapolis) is planning on publishing a piece next week on RECOVER / a follow-up to the STAT News feature by Betsy Ladyzhets. Will share here if published.

Solstice, Ariel, Binkie4 and 12 others like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The NIH are highlighting this paper on their News & events.

Protein may be linked to exercise intolerance in ME/CFS
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...ein-may-be-linked-exercise-intolerance-me-cfs

At a Glance
    • A study suggested that high levels of a protein may reduce energy production in the muscle cells of people with ME/CFS.
    • Blocking this protein in cells in the lab restored energy production, suggesting a potential new strategy for treating the condition.
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) afflicts more than 2 million people nationwide. People with ME/CFS live with debilitating symptoms including exhaustion, exercise intolerance, cognitive problems, and a worsening of symptoms after even mild exertion (known as post-exertional malaise).​

The continued obstinate refusal by psychosomatic ideologues to acknowledge PEM is looking worse over time, but still their dam of obstruction is holding.

Hutan, ahimsa, Solstice and 22 others like this.
  12. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the NIH article above:

“To better understand the role of WASF3, the team engineered mice to produce excess WASF3. They found that, similar to people with post-exertional malaise, muscles in these mice were slow to recover after exercise. The mice also showed a 50% reduction in their ability to run on a treadmill, even though their muscle strength was comparable to mice without extra WASF3.

Apologies if this has already been highlighted in this thread but I hadn’t realised this bit. Reduced ability to exercise with no apparent reduction in strength seems really significant to me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    tommybrand, JemPD, Hutan and 26 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Completely agree.

I have not lost basic strength. I can still pick up heavy objects without much trouble. Being a largish male I could probably pick up more weight than most my age.

But I have no stamina, and I pay a highly disproportionate physical price for picking up that weight, especially if I do it repeatedly.

tommybrand, Hutan, ahimsa and 24 others like this.
  14. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same here.

Hutan, ahimsa, Solstice and 16 others like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ayup. There is some muscle mass loss, but it's only anything extra from the base mass, what is gain from using and growing them. When flexing, it doesn't seem any less than it was. I've lost a lot of weight in recent months so they are especially easy to see, still as well-defined as ever. The strength is definitely still there. It's just exhausted in seconds, and can be crushingly punishing if it goes over whatever limit is set there.

tommybrand, Hutan, ahimsa and 14 others like this.
  16. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How would they prove that it was a reduced ability to run?

JemPD, Ariel, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  17. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In myself I observe low stamina, poor recovery from exertion, and an inability/very limited capacity to improve the poor stamina via training.

During a walk, I start out strong, then gradually become weak, and then symptomatic. Other people can just continue and maintain a good level of strength for much longer. They can also quickly improve this further with training, while I'm held back by PEM and the poor recovery.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    tommybrand, Hutan, Solstice and 11 others like this.
  18. borko2100

borko2100 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Low stamina was the main thing that tipped me off that something major had changed after a stomach bug that triggered my CFS ~ 20y ago. Sure I had tons of other weird symptoms all of a sudden, but this one really stood out to me.

Before my trigger I would jog / run everywhere, rather than walk, I just enjoyed the feeling of it. And, literally a few weeks after the infection, I could not run for more than 3-5 minutes without being exhausted, it was no longer enjoyable but very unpleasant instead. And no matter how much I tried I could not improve my stamina. My strength levels on the other hand had not changed. Later I did a bike test in the hospital that confirmed that my stamina was abnormally low for someone in my age group and physical parameters.

So yea the theory that something at the cellular level is impeding energy production is quite logical.

Interestingly, this reduction in stamina is not often mentioned when it comes to diagnostic criteria, which I think it should be. Even though I've read some people with CFS/ME say that they haven't noticed such stamina reduction, so maybe it is not universal and there might be subgroups.

tommybrand, Hutan, Solstice and 10 others like this.
  19. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My stamina has stayed around the same in the last 23 years of M.E. A viral infection and added menopause has lowered it a bit, which is a normal response for normal people too.

I definitely can not increase my activity levels or PEM sets in.

Solstice, Ash, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  20. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m in a crash, my muscles are weaker than just a few months ago.

Solstice, Ash, Starlight and 4 others like this.