1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

WORLD EVIDENCE-BASED HEALTHCARE DAY 20 October 2021

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OFFICIAL PARTNERS incl Cochrane and NICE.

https://worldebhcday.org/

https://twitter.com/user/status/1422185931029819395

2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In 2021, we call on the global evidence community to share their experiences, expertise and stories on infodemic management, including facilitating accurate knowledge translation; knowledge refinement, filtering and fact-checking; building eHealth/science literacy; and monitoring, infoveillance and social listening.

I read the above quote several times. Not sure what they're on about actually but my spidey senses suggest it's not going to aid anyone anywhere to grasp an understanding of real world valid solutions to health issues. The only words I trust in there are the ones likely to be overlooked (and I've conveniently highlighted).

But even there I've learned that it's all in how one defines words. What is a 'fact' in evidence based health? In my understanding of these things to date it comes from eminent people of power finding facts that fit their narrative.

And as for building science literacy. I can't even begin . . . This IS important. But if what you build is inherently flawed at the foundation, well, for example why should anyone believe in the climate crisis when science is about the invested interests of the eminent?

Edit: fix typo

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I'll be awaiting developments before deciding whether to get my flags out on 20th October.

Hutan, Simbindi, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I laughed when I saw the thread title. In the context of NICE ‘pausing’ the guideline publication yesterday and a lack of sleep I was fully justified. At least during the UK’s National Cherry Week, which I recently enjoyed, you get to eat cherries.

Hutan, Simbindi, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  5. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Flying it at half-mast might be the way to go.