1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Younger Lab: New chronic pain and psychedelic use online survey

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by shak8, Feb 13, 2023.

1. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here is the email I received from Younger's Lab this morning:

f you’ve ever taken a psychedelic substance, and you have chronic pain, we’d love to hear more about your experience. We are conducting a brief online survey to learn more about the relationship between chronic pain and classic psychedelics. Your responses will help guide future research into pain treatments. Participation in this survey is anonymous. At the end, there is an option to provide contact information on a separate form if you would like to enter a small drawing, in which 20 respondents will be selected for a $50 e-gift card.
    The eligibility requirements are:
    • Age 18 or older
    • Have or have had chronic pain (including fibromyalgia or other types of chronic pain)
    • Have taken a classic psychedelic substance at least once (e.g., psilocybin/magic mushrooms, LSD/acid, mescaline, DMT or Ayahuasca)

Time to complete the survey ranges from 15 to 45 minutes (30 minutes on average).
    To take the survey on chronic pain and psychedelics, please click HERE, or you can copy and paste the link below in your browser.
    https://uab.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_d6G1AAZ4I9jaZqC

*Also, as a reminder, our chronic disease survey is ongoing! Thank you to all who have taken it thus far. If you have not had a chance to take this survey yet, please consider participating. It is open to anyone with or without a chronic medical condition, and there is also an opportunity to be selected for a $50 e-gift card! For more information about this survey, please click here

We hope you will consider participating in either or both of these surveys, and please share with any friends/family who may be interested!

Thanks!

Jarred Younger

Jarred W. Younger, Ph.D. | Professor
    Director of the Neuroinflammation, Pain, and Fatigue Laboratory
    Department of Psychology
    UAB | The University of Alabama at Birmingham
    Campbell Hall, Suite 233

Hutan, MeSci, Lisa108 and 2 others like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmm, he fails to mention the timing. I took some psychedelics in the late 1960s. Does he mean concurrent with the chronic pain?

I assume so, but as he doesn't state it, my copy-editor brain alert says: lack of attention to detail, Prof. Younger, and that could have implications in research, in general.

Monday knit and pick.

Hutan, MeSci, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  3. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Started, got bored and irritated with the slant of the questions, and with failure to distinguish between current and previous quality of life when asking how pain has impacted it. Bailed out half way.

So Jarred gets an n=1 for low boredom thresholds and reduced agreeableness in people who took their share of acid in the early 90s. That probably helps prove whatever his hypothesis is.

Hutan, shak8, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I took lots of LSD and magic mushrooms in the 70s and 80s. I don't have chronic pain, but sometimes got back pain on LSD.

It doesn't sound worth bothering with. I seem to recall that his stuff is generally not very good.

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and shak8 like this.