1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Book Review: Exhaustion Finalist #13 in the Book Review Contest

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

full review here:

https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/your-book-review-exhaustion

you can comment

original book being reviewed

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is seriously like prepubescent virgins writing about sex. I don't think it's possible to gain real expertise on those issues without taking into account the life experience of those living it. This is what happens otherwise, it's just as silly posturing and boasting about their imagination.

Everything they write about could apply to peptic ulcers by changing maybe 10 words. Well, could have applied, if the quintessential psychosomatic disorder at the time hadn't been taken off their hands. No lessons learned from that. Absolutely none.

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see that the book was published in 2017. We wouldn't wish long covid on either author or reviewer. Would we?

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the book, just the review. I found it hard to tell what both reviewer and author think about ME/CFS.

It came across to me as someone finding some historical information about how diseases not understood by doctors through centuries have been interpreted, and assuming that they were all talking about the same thing in different ways.

What seems to have happened is they have taken at face value assumptions that CFS, burn out, depression, and any other condition that causes fatigue are all the same thing.

I ended up completely confused about how much of the book was nonsense, and how much bits of history tied together to try to make some sort of hypothesis.

I concluded it sounded like a book written to entertain rather than to inform.

5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I don't recognise this group of people.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. chrisb

Apparently Schaffner is a mBIT coach. That is multiple Brain Integration Technique if you did not know. I didn't.

Sean, Lou B Lou and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does mBIT indicate that the integration involves multiple brains or it involves multiple or different integration techniques? Presumable the former requires some form of brain washing to align the brains of a number of people or alternatively telepathy.

I was being flippant, but I am not sure the ‘reality’ is any more reassuring:

So telepathy with yourself, unless one proposes that one of these three brains has some form of potential executive function in relation to the others, in which case does it make sense to talk about three brains?

Sean, NelliePledge and chrisb like this.
  8. chrisb

Who knows...but it seems unlikely that all purported brains were fully integrated at the time of writing the book.

NelliePledge, Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

The author, Anna Schaffner, Professor of Cultural History at the University of Kent, also says of herself:

Lou B Lou, chrisb and Trish like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

11. Peter Trewhitt

I have not looked at the book, but it seems from the review, its comments and the author’s own site, that she, like so many others, completely fails to differentiate between the idea of chronic fatigue and the condition of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or ME/CFS.

I have no objection to self help techniques as a leisure activity, some people feel they constructively fill their lives with them. However they can be very dangerous when assumed to be effective treatments for serious medical conditions.

EzzieD, Lou B Lou, chrisb and 3 others like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why is it that almost everyone pushing this pseudoscience appears to be making money from it one way or another? Often in the form of a stable low-effort business that would end if the scam were exposed.

Rhetorical question, of course.

Also LOL at ancient wisdom. Talk about cultural beliefs. And that mBIT is way too on the nose as The Moods being a direct descendant of The Humours, just slightly tweaked.

13. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There appear to be dozens of uninformed but verbose fools responding to the original long nonsense review, confidently speculating at length about what they imagine 'CFS' might be, tens of thousands of words of waffle. The idea that ME (or Chronic fatigue syndrome as Schaffner calls the disease. Of course she does, because it fits her own 'Exhaustion is fatigue, fatigue is chronic fatigue syndrome' waffling) as though ME is public property and the general public have been invited to speculate and pronounce about what it is and what causes it. And they do. Waffling on and on about the people who have it in a dehumanising manner as though we are inanimate objects or subhumans. They refer to Shorter, they refer to Showalter, they condemn the 'd**th threats, they regurgitate every nonsense gaslighting and spiteful press article they have ever read about ME.

Edit. Most of those reviewers have acquired a HUGE sense of entitlement in relation to this disease and the people who suffer from it, entitlement to prattle on their endless speculating, gaslighting, drivel, with no self consciousness that what they are writing is ignorant dross. They need to get off the case and stop feeding.

I hope I never meet any of them. I would rather never encounter another human being for the rest of my life than be subjected to more gaslighting and dehumanisation.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    EzzieD, chrisb, Sean and 4 others like this.