1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A nationwide questionnaire study of post-acute symptoms and health problems after SARS-CoV-2 infection in Denmark, 2022, Sørensen et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Wyva, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

A considerable number of individuals infected with SARS-CoV-2 continue to experience symptoms after the acute phase. Here, we report findings from a nationwide questionnaire study in Denmark including 61,002 RT-PCR confirmed SARS-CoV-2 cases and 91,878 test-negative controls aged 15-years or older. Six to twelve months after the test, the risks of 18 out of 21 symptoms were elevated among test-positives.

The largest adjusted risk differences (RD) were observed for dysosmia (RD = 10.92%, 95% CI 10.68–11.21%), dysgeusia (RD = 8.68%, 95% CI 8.43–8.93%), fatigue/exhaustion (RD = 8.43%, 95%CI 8.14–8.74%), dyspnea (RD = 4.87%, 95% CI 4.65–5.09%) and reduced strength in arms/legs (RD = 4.68%, 95% CI 4.45–4.89%). During the period from the test and until completion of the questionnaire, new diagnoses of anxiety (RD = 1.15%, 95% CI 0.95–1.34%) or depression (RD = 1.00%, 95% CI 0.81–1.19%) were also more common among test-positives.

Even in a population where the majority of test-positives were not hospitalized, a considerable proportion experiences symptoms up to 12 months after infection. Being female or middle-aged increases risks.

Open access: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-31897-x

Snow Leopard, Lilas, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the paper:

At least one diagnosis of depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue symptom (CFS), fibromyalgia, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) with new onset within the first 6, 9, or 12 months after the test was reported by 7.2% of test positives, compared to 3.3% of test negatives. The most frequently reported diagnoses were chronic fatigue syndrome (4.0%), depression (3.5%), and anxiety (3.4%) (Fig. 2). All three diagnoses were more common among test positives compared to test negative with statistically significant risk differences of 2.53% (2.35–2.71%), 1.00% (95% CI 0.81–1.19%), and 1.15% (95% CI 0.95–1.34%), respectively (Fig. 2). PTSD was also marginally more common among test positives with a statistically significant risk difference of 0.16% (95% CI 0.03–0.28%).​

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This risk difference thing
    Statistical notes for clinical researchers: Risk difference, risk ratio, and odds ratio

So fatigue % at 6-12 months in Covid positive was 11.1% and in Covid negative was 3.1%. Then you just subtract one from the other, giving a risk difference of fatigue of 8%. Figure 1 in this paper that is the subject of the thread gives a risk difference of 8.43% - this is presumably because the risk has been adjusted for differences between the two samples i.e.
    It's worth noting that last sentence in the quote - some, maybe a lot, of the people testing negative may have been tested because they had symptoms suggestive of Covid-19 or because they had close contact who had been diagnosed with Covid-19. So, it's likely that the Covid-negative sample might not have been totally healthy. They might in fact have been Covid positive (it's just the test didn't show it). It's also possible that the sample might conceivably include people who had another infectious illness, and might even have developed post-infection symptoms due to that other infectious illness.

4. Hutan

Screen Shot 2022-07-22 at 3.17.46 pm.png
    So yeah, where I was heading with the risk difference was that, say for depression, it looks as though having a Covid-19 infection is associated with an additional 1 person in one hundred getting a diagnosis of depression between 6 and 12 months after infection. I'm not sure that that is enough of an increase to make it likely that Covid-19 has caused depression in any medical way. For one thing, people with other post-infection symptoms might be incorrectly diagnosed with depression; people who had a Covid-19 diagnosis were probably more likely to be grieving lost family members; and some people who now have difficult medical symptoms and associated financial stress might have secondary depression or sadness. So, I don't think there is evidence that depression is a direct symptom of Long Covid.

The differences in rates of diagnosis of PTSD are very small.
    It's interesting to see that the difference in rates of diagnoses of fibromyalgia is so small. It's not appearing that fibromyalgia is a post-infection outcome. Possibly though it may be a result of diagnostic preferences in Denmark, as risk differences for joint and muscle pain were fairly big at 3.5%.

cfsandmore, Dolphin, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  5. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1.5% of the negative group reported a CFS diagnosis in 9 months — that's 2% annually. Interesting to see such a high number relative to a lot of other estimates. I would not have thought Denmark was a country in which it was easy to get a diagnosis.

Could be a few with asymptomatic infections who didn't know they were infected in the control group skewing the results a little, but probably not a huge number up to April 2021.

This looks like a pretty good survey and the results seem to fit reasonably well with ONS survey results from the same time (ONS numbers reporting Long Covid are actually a fair bit lower than people reporting any symptom here).

Snow Leopard, Dolphin, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  6. Hutan

It's a great number of respondents, but self-selection looks to be a major problem.

7. Hutan

Worth noting the samples aren't of the same type of people - most of those differences are highly significant.

That's a really big difference in new onset of physical exhaustion (defined as a health condition) (risk difference 40% - 45.5% in the test-positive sample and 7.3% in the test-negative sample).
    That's difficult to square with the results for the symptom of fatigue (11.1 versus 3.1%).

A couple of interesting symptoms are:
    Reduced strength legs/arm - risk difference 4.7%, and
    Sleeping legs/arms - risk difference 3.5%
    Legs and arms going numb was quite a distinctive symptom for me and my children at onset. I don't think it happens as much now, but it still happens a bit, especially when my illness is worse. The frequency and the low threshold was very noticeable - my arms could go numb just from the holding them up to eat at a table or to drive. I think it's a symptom that isn't talked about much.

8. LarsSG

It's a bit confusing how they present it, but they asked about physical exhaustion, difficulties concentrating, etc. at any point between the test date and the survey date, so presumably most of those are people who felt physically exhausted while acutely ill or perhaps in the weeks immediately after. The symptom of fatigue was only in the last 14 days before the survey (so about 9 months after infection for most).

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and Dolphin like this.
  9. Hutan

I interpreted 'self-reported health problems with new onset between the test date and until 6-12 months after' as a new health problem starting after the Covid-19 test date (and probably having an ongoing impact), rather than as symptoms of the acute infection and a few weeks after. But I see from the Discussion that you are right.

Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 9.07.36 am.png

I don't think those figures of exhaustion at any time from Covid-19 test onwards are very useful - it's such a low threshold and covers the period of the acute illness.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  10. Hutan

[See my post below - I have understood full time and part time sick leave differently from what was intended - full time sick leave is taking a whole day off, not being on sick leave all of the time since the Covid-19 test.]

I think monitoring of sick leave is a good thing for studies to do, as it is an objective measure that has clear economic and social consequence. Probably it would be more use if the number of days of leave were recorded for individuals in the year preceding the infection and in the year after the infection (or, in surveys of respondents where that sort of precision is difficult, if the sick leave taken was days, or weeks, or months).

I find the sick-leave results from this study hard to interpret. The period they ask about is from one month after the Covid test until the time of the survey, on average about 8 months later.

Full-time sick leave was reported by 9.4% of the test-positives and 6.5% of the test-negatives. That seems like quite a big percentage in both groups but might make sense if a lot of the people in the sample were being Covid-19 tested prior to admission to hospital with a range of ailments.

Weirdly, part-time sick leave was reported by 4.2% of test-positive and 1.7% of test-negatives. That seems incredibly low - I would have thought at least half of people of working age would take at least one day sick leave in an 8 month period.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  11. LarsSG

They include a copy of the whole survey in the supplemental materials (all studies should do this!) and I think it's fairly clear what they're asking.

upload_2022-7-22_17-39-18.png

Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  12. Hutan

agreed
    Yes, I edited my post about the 'health problems' reporting.

I see that there were a lot of detailed questions about sick leave in the survey. It would have been good to see some of the results from those in the paper.

'Full-time sick leave' seems to refer to taking a whole day/week off, and 'part-time sick leave' refers to taking part of the day/week off - perhaps because the person only had part-time employment?

Questions about sick leave from the survey

Peter Trewhitt and LarsSG like this.