1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Proposal for Explaining Progression from Light/Moderate to Severe Chronic Fatigue, 2020, Höck

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

I started a couple of years ago using 40μg Vit D3 once a day, in good faith that this could make a difference.
    It didn't. It only increased my calcium levels into medium hypercalcemia.
    So I had to stopp. And noticed nothing after that either.

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was also advised to supplement with Vitamin D. My levels were on the border between normal & low.

I honestly can't say I've noticed a difference.

Maybe some symptoms would have been exacerbated or new ones might have developed if levels had dropped further. Maybe not.

andypants, Midnattsol, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Can't say I've noticed any difference when my vitamin D levels have been lower than they are now (last I checked they were 80 nmol/L, I do want them >75 nmol/L but if there is any benefit to that it is only present in certain circumstances so it might not matter).

If it is sunshine that's the magic ingredient, it can have other effects on the body than stimulating vit D synthesis. Personally I feel worse in the winter than in the summer, but there could be so many reasons why. That we don't have sun at all for a few months might play into it, but I grew up with sunless winters and it never bothered me before. Winter used to be my favorite time of year :(

andypants, Legend and Invisible Woman like this.
  4. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I'm a bit annoyed that the omega 3 supplement I'm taking has increased the vitamin D dosage to 40 mcg. I haven't had any problems with hypercalcemia but like you others might. I really like the supplement for other reason, but whyyy. More is not always better. Although for most people vitamin D supplementation at that level is generally safe, and some take much, much higher doses without ill effect.

andypants and Legend like this.