1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A proprietary herbal drug Young Yum Pill ameliorates chronic fatigue syndrome in mice, 2021, Yin et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Background: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a complex disease with few effective and safe therapies. Young Yum Pill (YYP), a proprietary herbal drug, has been used to relieve CFS-like symptoms. The pharmacological basis of this application of YYP is unknown.

Purpose: This study aimed to investigate the pharmacological effects and mechanisms of action of YYP in a mouse model of CFS.

Study design and methods: A food restriction and exhaustive swimming-induced mouse CFS model was used to evaluate the effects of YYP. Lymphocyte proliferation was assessed by MTT assays. T-lymphocyte subsets were analyzed by flow cytometry. Serum biochemical parameters were determined using commercial kits. Protein levels were measured by immunoblotting.

Results: Intragastric administration of YYP (2.85, 5.70, 11.40 g/kg) daily for 21 consecutive days significantly prolonged swimming time and diminished body weight loss of CFS mice. Mechanistic investigations revealed that YYP increased thymus and spleen indices of CFS mice, enhanced proliferation of lipopolysaccharide- or concanavalin A-stimulated spleen lymphocytes, and increased CD3+CD4+ and CD3+CD8+ T-cells in the spleen. YYP increased glycogen content in gastrocnemius muscle and liver, and lowered levels of triglyceride, lactic acid and urea nitrogen in sera of CFS mice. YYP suppressed the elevation of serum level of malondialdehyde, the increase of activities of lactic dehydrogenase and creatine phosphokinase, and the decrease of activity of the serum antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase in CFS mice. Moreover, YYP upregulated protein level of activated AMPK in gastrocnemius muscle and liver of CFS mice.

Conclusions: YYP ameliorates CFS by reversing metabolic changes, reducing oxidative damage, and improving some immune function parameters in mice. This study provides pharmacological justifications for the use of YYP in treating fatigue, including CFS.

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0944711321001446

Hutan, Louie41, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly, though mice do not seem to be interested in holidays, moles are.

Previously, when I had mice in the house, I used ‘humane’ traps, then releasing the mice elsewhere. If released near enough to home <half a mile, they return as quickly as they can, often going straight back to the trap and getting caught again. If released >1 mile away, I never see them again. (An aside, my mole catcher suggests this is less than humane as releasing mice in a novel area is unlikely to be conducive to its survival.)

In my new garden I have done a lot of work on building up the fertility of the soil, consequently making it more moisture retentive and worm rich. So particularly in prolonged dry spells my garden has become too attractive to moles. When they first came, four or so years ago, my health was at a particularly low point, so that first mole had some eighteen months undisturbed to establish a tunnel system, which is now unhelpfully deep down as I levelled the sloping ground over the main tunnels. This system gives new moles almost instant access to all the flower beds on all three terraces.

I was some what surprised when I reported to the mole catcher several day gaps in the activity of a subsequent mole. He told me that moles regularly take weekend breaks, going off for two or three days at a time to see what things are like in the wider neighbourhood.

(To anyone thinking I have completely digressed, yes, but it is as probably relevant to us as mouse models of CFS.)

Hutan, Tia, Mariaba and 8 others like this.
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Jaybee00, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I read the name of the product being tested and assumed the article was a spoof.

6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)