1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Academy Award Nomination Announcements; January 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by MErmaid, Jan 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Darn it.

ahimsa, MEMarge, Skycloud and 2 others like this.
  2. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Thanks for participating in helping Jen get to the red carpet. Could you please send Jen a note of thanks on Twitter? I would like to see her make more ME documentaries, because there are many more stories to tell.

MEMarge, Jan, Skycloud and 4 others like this.
  3. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was always a long shot, and great for a little crowd funded film to have managed to get this far.

MEMarge, MErmaid, Joel and 6 others like this.
  5. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a shame, an opportunity is gone out the window explaining ME properly. Jen Brea's film was perfect documentary of ME. And thank her so much for her proper attempt. She's raised some awareness by making Unrest.

This is completely a divert from the subject, to raise more public awareness I wonder if a young ME sufferer participate in reality shows, like BB? They are looking for people to participate at the moment, this would be an opportunity for public to view daily hurdle of an ME patient. Silly idea?

MErmaid likes this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So let's still raise a glass in the pub to a strong contender.

MEMarge, Webdog, MErmaid and 12 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unrest has already done more than we had any right to expect, so while I'm always hoping for more, I can't be too disappointed by this. Congratulations to all who helped it get this far.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    MEMarge, Webdog, MErmaid and 12 others like this.
  8. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To have gone so far in the running for an Oscar, the most coveted of all film industry awards, is quite stunning.

Unrest is doing a wonderful job of informing people about ME.
    Congratulations to Jen Brea and team and a huge THANKYOU.

erin, MEMarge, MErmaid and 8 others like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unrest doesn't stop here - it is still just partway through its journey of enlightening many more people yet.

erin, ahimsa, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  10. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly, I hope that was just the beginning. From what I read the Unrest team has planned a lot more for the Time for Unrest campaign (including shorter clips for educational purposes). But apart from what the Unrest team is organizing I think Unrest is mostly what we make of it. It's our choice to use it and to try to screen it at universities and med schools (and to use it as a door opener and then discuss any additional info that we feel is important) and to make sure doctors, politicians, policy makers and the public see that ME is not the joke they think it is.

The Oscars would have been awesome but we don't need them, because we are Unrest and it's time for Unrest. I know this sounds cheesy but I'm here in bed with 15 years stolen and mean it.

This was posted today - totally unrelated - but showed again why it's important to reach out to med schools and universities and Unrest is a perfect tool to do that (and I guess what is said in the tweet is normal at universities worldwide and I've heard similar stuff from other med students and am so sick of it):
    https://twitter.com/user/status/955743673194557440

ahimsa, Webdog, Barry and 5 others like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, if there's one thing I've learned from the movies, it's that sometimes, when you seem to have lost, you've actually won.

Rocky (1976)
    [​IMG]

Braveheart (1995)
    [​IMG]

Casablanca (1942)
    [​IMG]

Congratulation to Jen Brea and all involved.

The story isn't over yet.

erin, Valentijn, Trish and 7 others like this.