1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Action alert for upcoming CNN reporting

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by rvallee, May 10, 2019.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm putting this in the members-only section because I was advised to keep it quiet until it's published (besides posting this here, of course).

I was informed by Sara Piccer, OMF volunteers relations manager, about an upcoming CNN coverage of May 12. The report is expected to be published on that day, Sunday, May 12, but it could be before then.

Someone from CNN told OMF that if the story is shared widely and quickly (as in timing it immediately after its release will be a boost in itself, minutes may make a difference) on social media, it could receive additional promotion from CNN. No clue on what that would be exactly, but more should be better if the report is any good.

We don't really have a specific tool for this so besides watching this thread (you can receive email notifications and I will post in this thread and the story itself in its own once it's published, or if I'm AFK if someone else can do it ASAP) and the OMF Twitter (and Facebook, I guess?) account it's mostly up to just being aware and ready to share it once it's published. Many will no doubt be busy with events but this could be a great signal boost.

Important detail I was forgetting about: do not just retweet accounts that have the story, tweet/share the link to the story itself. It's possible that they do track it but for social media engagement the links have to be directly in the tweets to count as primary engagement. This means a few words, maybe a quote or the sub-headline if it's good, #tags and most significantly just adding the link to the story itself.

Scream into the void and sometimes the void screams back.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    inox, Inara, shak8 and 29 others like this.
  2. Tijs

Tijs Established Member

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nevermind the super secret spy stuff, seems like I misunderstood that part :)

I guess this could be moved to the advocacy forum then?

daftasabrush, EzzieD, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  4. Tijs

Tijs Established Member

Haha no you were right. I was also informed by Sara from OMF to help share the news once it was published and that she couldn't give any details. So I had done the same and posted it in the members only forum ;)

Yes I think so, since OMF also shared that tweet from Ryan Prior so it's no secret anymore :)

5. zzz

zzz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    inox, Lisa108, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  6. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can someone post a link? I’ve googled CNN and scanned many pages but cannot find the feature.

ETA: @rvallee ,@zzz ,@Tijs

Tijs likes this.
  7. Tijs

Tijs Established Member

ahimsa, Aroa, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  8. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is an error in the (otherwise extremely excellent) article,
    Does anyone have the ability to let them know to correct it?

rvallee likes this.