Action for ME has joined S4ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by April, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nancy Blackett

Nancy Blackett Established Member (Voting Rights)

Can A4ME member @Action for ME please respond to my Post xx

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they are not logging in here then they won't see it. A PM would email them I guess.

Louie41, Andy, Skycloud and 1 other person like this.
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not have any personal issue with it, i am saying my counter arguments and examples are ignored.

I agree with you here, my point is that i presented examples that are ignored.

Yet you have other private forums, if anyone can post it publicly then why bother with them at all. Again i'm not saying you should make them public, otherwise you already would. I am saying i agree with you having them and that you should apply a similar standard to members only threads.

Where i am coming from is that information that is a bit more personal then public posts being picked apart by an organization that maligns us is something to consider. I do apologize for making anything more difficult or stressful, it is most certainly not my intention.

In the end we are going in circles which i don't like doing, most forum members want a hostile organization to have access to more personal threads, if thats your position i will accept it (to cut your stress) and stop explaining why its problematic since i have already covered it, my point is only that no one should kid themselves on why its problematic

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
    Alison Orr and guest001 like this.
  4. RuthT

RuthT Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This forum is public. The recent judgment re PACE evidence I saw (would Post reference from the link/tweet but back in the midst of timeline), but was made it clear that forums are being joined and observed by people the forum members are critiquing & trying to use as evidence of ‘abuse’ gathered by those who want to use it as eg reason to obstruct access to data.

I see no problem with deeply critical & strongly worded & skeptics posts. But wise to beware that all Forums can be joined & what is here is public not private.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Awol, sea, petrichor and 7 others like this.
  5. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And because the word private has been mentioned so many times, just to remind for the forum terms and conditions, which we supposedly agreed on upon registering:

https://www.s4me.info/help/terms

Awol, sea, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

There are no plans to close down this thread. The only reason why it would be closed would be if multiple and persistent rule breaches were occuring which made it impossible or too onerous to moderate. It has been lively and it has kept moderation busy. But it is an important issue upon which many members have strong feelings and opinions. Those opinions should be expressed and heard.

And they are being heard. The committee is following and discussing this issue. Like everyone here, they are ill and busy people trying to juggle multiple tasks and roles, on and off the forum, so please be patient. Hopefully as a forum we can soon clarify our position on this issue. Given the strong opinions expressed on this thread, it may not be a position that satisfies everybody (if anyone does have a position that satisfies everybody please PM the committee as a matter of urgency).

sea, Hutan, Louie41 and 12 others like this.
  7. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Can I point out that S4ME has never claimed to have "no censorship". We will censor rudeness, personal attacks, trolling behaviour, as per the rules. We will censor "ideas" if those ideas are racist, discriminatory, or they involve negatively characterising another member (e.g. I think you're an idiot, a whiner, etc.).

That's why S4ME is generally a nicer place to interact than reddit. You can find out more information at our rules. https://www.s4me.info/threads/forum-rules.301/

What we DO aim to do is allow members as much freedom as possible to express their views on any matter that is important to PwMEs, including dissenting views.

Hutan, Jan, Louie41 and 15 others like this.
  8. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When we started out afresh here in the embryonic stages of our shiny new forum, there was a fundamental tenet that I'm sure we all agreed was part of our core values: That supporting and advancing science for ME, means being prepared to engage with all sides of a scientific debate, because without that it is, by definition, not true scientific debate. I still fully endorse that, as I believe we all did then.

I belatedly realise however, that the statement of our core values does not make that crystal clear, and so people will not necessarily realise they are agreeing to this when joining. This is not a criticism - it's impossible to get everything 100% up front. But I'm sure this was fundamental to the principles we agreed for S4ME in its creation.

Hutan, petrichor, Jan and 14 others like this.
  9. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

I think this is a good point, @Barry. That core value could be emphasised much more.

Hutan, petrichor, Louie41 and 9 others like this.
  10. Alvin

I agreed to stop making points to reduce stress, so you will have to decide should i be replying or not? If yes then i don't want to be put on moderation later or hear complaints about me causing stress or headaches or problems regarding this issue. If no then i suggest dropping this.

Alison Orr, guest001 and Docsimsim like this.
  11. Docsimsim

Docsimsim Established Member (Voting Rights)

No it was on their FB Page Jonathon (would take me a while to find it now) and it was adressed generally to all patients who had scrutinised them about funding Crawley’s research in the past and possibly vicariously in the future. She called the inquiries ‘vexatious’ and the patients ‘time wasters’.

Also Afme have for decades now promoted behavioural therapies & continue to do so (including quackery such as LP) which are devised by the said medical colleagues, that’s a fact don’t you agree Johnathon?
    If our national patient organisations offer no resisistence or attempt to change the status quo and instead marginalise patients who ask for action, then what’s the point of such organisations existing? They are more of a hindrance than help, by giving the appearance of patient participation/consent in its absence. They simply become enablers for the outdated BPS school.
    * Apologies but I have to rest now as have made myself much iller by pushing to comment and the thread seems to be going round in circles.

Awol, Alison Orr, Daisymay and 5 others like this.
  12. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Sorry, @Alvin, this was not meant as a criticism of you at all. I thought it worth pointing out to all readers of the thread.

Louie41 likes this.
  13. Alvin

I could point out things as well but it would bring the same circular discussion back.

Alison Orr and Louie41 like this.
  14. svetoslav80

svetoslav80 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some more thoughts from me ...

It was suggested that there were private subforums on PR and I went to see what they look like but couldn't find any. There are private groups though. Unlike conversations (PMs), members can start their own private threads there. 'Private' for a group means that the owner of the group decides who is allowed to join, and who - not.

Surely it is a bad idea to change the status of existing 'members only' threads. Instead, a new 'private' subforum can be created. My personal opinion is this is unnecessary, but anyway ... my point is on the definition of 'private'. So, 2 variants:

1) Invite only - something like the current German language forums. The moderators decide who can join and who - not - but under what criteria, that is unclear. The only reason that the german subforums are private is because they are not moderated, and not because they contain some private information.

2) 'Established members only' subforums. A person should have been a member for X amount of time and posted Y number of posts before being allowed to join. Surely, any member (including A4ME) can at some point fulfill these requirements and join the forum.

My point is, when you want 'private' subforums, you should really define what 'private' means. Do you want to decide by yourself who is to join the 'private' subforum / group or do you wish that members join under certain conditions (and what?).

Andy and Barry like this.
  15. TiredSam

The current criteria is: 1. Can you read German? 2. Would you like to join?

MEMarge, Hutan, Jan and 6 others like this.
  16. Guest 3

Guest 3 Guest

There were private subforums on PR. There was one so patients of KDM could discuss treatments among themselves without the constant criticisms of his treatments (that could still carried out on the main forums). There were a few different groups working on various projects that had private forums so they could do concentrate on their work without interruption. Most of the private forums were set up because the ‘Groups’ plug-in didn’t give alerts properly and lacked some of the things that they needed.

Louie41, Allele, Indigophoton and 7 others like this.
  17. Action for M.E.

Action for M.E. Established Member (Voting Rights)

Hello – it’s Clare Ogden here, I’m Head of Communications and Engagement at Action for M.E., and I’m posting on behalf of the charity.

It is our intention to engage with Science for M.E. by contributing to discussion, where we have the resources and capacity to do so, bearing in mind that our focus is primarily on providing information and support services to people affected by M.E. (at least 50% of the charity’s activities are focused on this). I’m posting now and plan to check back later today. My aim is to check in on a regular basis, when I'm in the office.

I understand from reading the discussion here that there are mixed and very strong feelings about Action for M.E. being a member of the forum, and that many of you have questions about the reasons we have joined.

Action for M.E. signed up to become a member of Science for M.E. so that we could hear the views of this community, and understand the issues that are important to its members.

18. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've done a search of their page on FB and I can't find it. Are you sure it wasn't a mirror site?

Barry likes this.
  19. guest001

guest001 Guest

Maybe I'm being dense but I can't find a 'search' option on their FB page?

Docsimsim likes this.
  20. TiredSam

MEMarge, Inara, Hutan and 9 others like this.