Action for ME has joined S4ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by April, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. Sounds like the comments on fb the other day of others also having to go ... is maybe underway! Especially if some are just walking ... that would only happen if things really were changing root and branch.

2. Docsimsim

Docsimsim Established Member (Voting Rights)

I see, is this already in the public domain? I’m not sure I was aware of that.
    Also what if the PACE, CBT/GET psychs are simply being replaced with the MUS/FD neuro-psychs? Same substance different style/semantics. Having a ‘neuro’ in front of ‘psychiatarist’ doesn’t negate the fact that they’re still a psychiatrist. Simon W has been calling for psychiatry and neurology to become a combined discipline, thrse are choppy waters. ME is getting lumped in with other MUS illnesses and thrown to the neuro psychs. This isn’t happening with other neuro-immune illnesses is it? As far as I know those with MS or Parkinson’s or MND get properly cared for by neurologists.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Awol, Louie41, Inara and 6 others like this.
  3. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point @Barry

Louie41, Inara and Barry like this.
  4. Docsimsim

Oh i see, is this already in the public domain? I’m not sure I was aware of that.
    Also what if the PACE, CBT/GET psychs are simply being replaced with the MUS/FD neuro-psychs? Same substance different style/semantics. Having a neuro in front of psych doesn’t negate the fact that they’re still psychs, or does it? Simon W has been calling for psychiatry and neurology to become a combined discipline. ME is getting lumped in with other MUS illnesses and thrown to the neuro psychs. This isn’t happening with other neuro-immune illnesses is it? As far as I know those with MS orParkinson’s or MND get properly cared for by neurologists.

Louie41, Woolie and Nancy Blackett like this.
  5. Docsimsim

Tx for speedy posting. I’m still curious why they wanted to see this correspondence. Surely they would be aware that they were part of the PACE study themselves and in fact instrumental in patient recruitment etc. They’ve enabled DWP to shaft ME patients

Awol, Louie41, Inara and 1 other person like this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I would guess they wanted to see what it said about them and whether its bad. The correspondence is mainly administrative.

I am guessing of course.

Louie41, Andy, Jan and 2 others like this.
  7. Docsimsim

By Post you mean self promote? Anyway according to other members above it looks like they only joined to gain access to letters someone had written to the DWP in the past 14 years which includes the time they were helping DWP set up the PACE trial!

8. Docsimsim

In other words they’re covering their backs, so yes it’s all about them self preserving. It never amazes me how they use patients when it suits them. Nothing new there then

Awol, guest001, Jan and 1 other person like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not necessarily - I don't want to prejudge what they're doing. They seem to have been making some shuffling changes in recent years and I'm wondering if that's a process that's continuing.

The CAA were poorly thought of for years in a way not dissimilar to AfME and then suddenly, voila! The Solve ME/CFS Initiative, which is great.

I think that's a bit of a conclusion to jump to. Joining under their own name seems a bit overkill just to look at some files. You may be right, but I'm not convinced that that's all there is to it.

Louie41, Andy, Allele and 1 other person like this.
  10. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I dunno, I use the fact I can do about half of the Private Eye cryptic crossword to falsely claim I'm some kind of intellectual at work...

Inara, Indigophoton, Andy and 6 others like this.
  11. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyhow, on the whole AfME thing: this is an open forum and even the members only posts are essentially public - I'm reminded of this cartoon. I would be very uncomfortable with declaring people/organisations persona non grata without a demonstration of their actually breaking forum rules; indeed, given that the scientific process is meant to be open to all (even if it hasn't worked like that in practice, what with needing to go to information tribunals etc) I don't think a forum that sells itself on being a place of science would go hand-in-hand with a banning list for those who aren't judged to be ideologically pure enough.

Louie41, Indigophoton, Andy and 11 others like this.
  12. Docsimsim

But I know many US sufferers who tell me that solve cfs is just as bad if not worse than Afme. We are decades down the line and at this stage we should not have such low expectations of our advocacy groups. They exist coz of us patients yet they don’t act in our best interest, far from it. They impede progress by pussy footing around the fatigue/ME conflation. Do we want another 30 years of fatigue research being passed as ME research?

Awol, Inara, Alison Orr and 5 others like this.
  13. Docsimsim

Did I say we get drochonian and expel them? No. I mentioned a carefully/calmly worded public statement reiterating what the ethos of this group is and why its members are uncomfortable with Afme being the usual non contributing silent member. I bet they took what they wanted (the DWP correspondence) and went away without a backward glance. That’s what they do, use patient forums when it suits them whilst throwing us under the SMILE, PACE, FITNET, etc bus. The new bus is the functional disorders/MUS illnesses and the neuro psychs are the new kids on the block they’ll fraternise with

14. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is someone listening to us?

Louie41, Jan and Docsimsim like this.
  15. Docsimsim

Well said. They infantilise and patronise patients, not only refuse to listen to us but stop us from using their forums when they present the carefully orchestrated message that ‘all our patients are happy with us’. Yes coz anyone not going along with their cosy little story is banished from public and if we try to talk to them privately they are rude and hostile. As I said it’s like North Korea where they only show images of happy compliant citizens. It’s power by any means while young people rot in bed for decades or die all under their watch/‘leadership’. If they were a consumer organisation they’d have gone bust ages ago due to incompetence if not malpractice

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Awol, Alison Orr, guest001 and 2 others like this.
  16. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To post on topic, I have no opinion, and don't see why I would have, it's not an issue I know a lot about. I am against simply banning people or organisations simply coz I, or someone else, don't/doesn't like them. There are, probably, rules, that specify what people, or organisations, can be banned for, this list of violations probably doesn't, and shouldn't, include not being liked much, no matter the history elsewhere.

If they break a rule that warrants it, then........it's time for admin/mods to decide how to handle it, but until then IMO there is nothing to discuss, by anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2018
  17. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve met the creator of that film, and cannot disagree with your observation.

Inara, Alison Orr and Sly Saint like this.
  18. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps i have not explained my position properly, i have not said to ban them or anyone else.

Giving access to private information to people who could twist anything they can to use against you is like a fox guarding a hen house.
    I am not saying don't be nice to your adversary, i am saying don't give them more weapons to use against you. You should always try to make peace with your opponent but you should not undermine yourself in the process. Trust is earned, not given away, at least in my books.

There is a thread on here i didn't read about the DWP looking for CCTV footage of people with disabilities, i have not read it but i assume all the replies think this is a great idea and we should be happy about it. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

A story i heard about was someone on disability because of a back injury, they could not typically walk for more then 5 mins. Once they had a good day and walked ten minutes straight, their benefits were cut off because the insurance company had been following them whenever they left the hosue. They were in pain for a week afterwards but the fact they once made 10 minutes meant no more support despite the doctors evidence, the x-rays, the past and future planned surgeries...
    Imagine going hungry and homeless because you had a good day and walked for 10 minutes.
    In a public instance someone was on medical leave for depression or something, they posted a photo on facebook of being at the beach, their benefits were cut off (its was on the news years ago).
    If i claim to be 80% housebound but i go out 3 times in a 10 day period, say the doctor, the grocery store and the corner store. I'm now a liar because it may average 80% so lets say from the 1st to 9th i went to the grocery store but the 10th to 18th i went to the doctor and grocery store. I'm actually more then 80% housebound on average but i went to the corner store on the 5th, doctor on the 9th and grocery on the 14th. Bye bye benefits.

Indeed :emoji_face_palm:

Why is the moderators forum not public?

Indeed, the way i see it (and most disagree) is if they have not changed how is giving them more ammunition to use against us going to benefit us?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Awol, Louie41, Inara and 3 others like this.
  19. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

You make a good point, @Invisible Woman.

AfME still have quite a large membership, and at least some of that could be down to new patients/new referrals. People that aren't even aware of the concerns.

20. Nancy Blackett

Nancy Blackett Established Member (Voting Rights)

Well said Alvin! Very well written. And so very astute !!!!

We, ME Sufferers, are actually persecuted citizens! But we mostly dont choose to identify as victims (although we are). We seek to educate, and advocate. Unless we are so damn sick all we can say is "Help".

The fact is.... that when Austerity Policy came in with the Tories in 2010..... it was ME Sufferers/Advocates who were the earliest to inform the UK Disability Anti Cuts Activism orgs..... it was ME sufferers who informed the Black Triangle Campaign and DPAC (Disabled People Against Cuts) ..... about the collaboration of the UK Government with UNUM, the long term intention to disappear UK Sickness/disability Benefits, to be replaced by Permanent Health insurance (sickness/disability insurance).. .... because if accessing disability benefits becomes so brutal .... the general public will get the message that they will have to buy disability insurance..... or otherwise be fucked over as the current sick snd disabled citizens of the UK are being. So many sick and disabled peeps have been deprived of their benefits and have died as a result.

But it was ME Advocates who first worked out the collusion between the insurance industry (1994, Peter Lilly, UNUM, Mansel Aylward) and the PACE Trial, and the UK Austerity Policy.

Later Prominent Disability Rights orgs, social rights orgs, recognise the overarching Neoliberal agenda in disappearing Disability benefits in the UK, and the role of the PACE Trial in trying to accomplish that.

http://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/library/by-az/in-the-expectation-of-recovery.html

AFME has yet to acknowlege or apologise for its part in such a wide reaching, and destructive piece of research as PACE.

No one expects the Current AFME CEO, or Current Trustees, to admit it was them who agreed to collaborate with PACE. Because its clear that the current CEO, and MOST of the current Trustees were not in place in 2002/3/4 ....

But.... if the current AFME CEO and trustees do not admit that AFME, as the Charity, got it wrong about PACE..... how can we possibly trust the current CEO and Trustees to take responsibility for the longer term effects of their current decisions .... their current research affiliations, their current co operation with the NHS 'CFS' policy, their current influences in our treatment in the NHS. How can we possibly trust them?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Awol, Docsimsim, Inara and 3 others like this.