1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ADHD Drugs for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - How Well Do They Work?

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Sly Saint, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I find that, even with caffeine - it hypes me up so I get a false sense of energy that if I act on it leads to crashes. And it makes my heart race and skip beats, and keeps me awake.

2. soti

soti Established Member

I echo the words of caution but I would also like to throw something in here. Stimulants are sometimes prescribed (off-label) to treat POTS brain fog. Many pwme have POTS. In my own experience, methylphenidate is great for that. It does nothing for my wooziness, nor for my PEM, but getting cognitive functionality back is fantastic. But I can't use it every day or it slowly stops working.

epipnoia, Squeezy, zzz and 2 others like this.
  3. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. However, doctors need to be trained on how to diagnose ME/CFS for it to do any good. These guidelines do little for the undiagnosed ME/CFS patient misdiagnosed with idiopathic fatigue and ADD.

Not to mention that throwing stimulants at such a patient might cause side effects that make them depressed.

InfiniteRubix, Squeezy and Barry like this.
  4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another article with a short mention of ADHD drugs for "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome".
    Since the mentioned "observational case study" isn't listed in the references, I assume it was never published. Sounds pretty wishy-washy to me.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, and most of that work needs to be replicated in well defined cohorts, or ignored. All Oxford studies can be ignored. Fukuda is well past its use by date. Most studies in ME/CFS are not conclusive or not replicated. Few studies with well defined ME patients are done. Only exploratory studies with in-depth analysis can afford broad cohorts. I wish researchers would use CCC or ICC and for clinical interventions would require objective outcome measures, preferably multiple objective measures.

As soon as we have validated biomarkers much of the CFS and ME research will be in question. It will be time to take a whole new look at all of it. If distinct subsets exist then the research must be designed to take that into account. Knowing exactly what type of patient is being investigated is a game changer.

adambeyoncelowe, JohnM, MeSci and 6 others like this.
  6. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What do you make of today's press release from the authors of the Synergy Trial:

Jan and Trish like this.
  7. JohnM

JohnM Established Member (Voting Rights)

The press release is not from the authors themselves, but is a release by K-PAX .. further discussion can be found here Russell.

Wishing everyone improved health and every happiness. John :)

8. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thank you @zzz for the link to the table. That was very helpful.

Deleted message where I hadn't read enough of the study.

zzz likes this.
  9. InfiniteRubix

InfiniteRubix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Possible Link Between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and ADHD

https://www.verywellhealth.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-adhd-whats-the-link-3972913

Not an endorsement, regardless of my curiosity. There does seem to be an air of overconfidence in the article. Not looked at the underlying citations, diagnostic criteria used/not used, recovery measures, etc.

Smells a bit of pharma marketing...

Even if there is ever a connection found one day, it very much feels like a classic correlation vs causation mess, causative process over-implication, writer overexcitment.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2021
    Invisible Woman and Snow Leopard like this.
  10. InfiniteRubix

My usual typo habits fixed :(

11. InfiniteRubix

As alluded to, also suspicious that this is an area ripe for abuse of poor diagnostic criteria and lack of non neurodiverse controls

Invisible Woman, rvallee and MeSci like this.
  12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see how any medical professional could tell the difference between ADD and brain fog, they don't even acknowledge brain fog as a real thing so there would never be any such comparison to make. There is no reliable test or process for either, at best it's indicative of in most cases. It's not as if we understand a single thing about either so that's basically comparing one angel dancing on hairpins with another angel dancing on hairpins. Are they doing pirouettes or a tango? Sure, why not?

If there's an overlap it would be over misdiagnosis. Which is very common so that's basically Occam's razor here.

13. InfiniteRubix

Re ADD, absolutely agree. The overlap with brain fog is observationally sufficient that one could reasonably argue either is one or the other.

The hyperactivity of ADHD will be observable, but what one can rightly interpret from such a determination or do with it is a can of worms, even without ME (forgetting claim of link).

I remain convinced that some neurodiverse people will have an extra energy burn/drag pre, during and post ME onset that can't be irrelevant to them. But that's not a statement of connection, merely that they have extra cognitive and/or emotional energy drag. But that's no different in principle to being more likely because someone has a bad hip!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Invisible Woman likes this.