Altered mitochondrial respiration in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection, 2024, Dirajlal-Fargo et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by SNT Gatchaman, Feb 11, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Altered mitochondrial respiration in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection
    Dirajlal-Fargo; Maison; Durieux; Andrukhiv; Funderburg; Ailstock; Gerschenson; Mccomsey

Peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) mitochondrial respiration was measured ex vivo from participants without a history of COVID (n=19), with a history of COVID and full recovery (n= 20), and with PASC (n=20). Mean mitochondrial basal respiration, ATP-linked respiration, maximal respiration, spare respiration capacity, ATP-linked respiration, and non-mitochondrial respiration were highest in COVID+ PASC+ (p≤0.04).

Every unit increase in non-mitochondrial respiration, ATP-linked respiration, basal respiration, spare respiration capacity, and maximal respiration increased the predicted odds of PASC between 1% and 6%.

Mitochondrial dysfunction in PBMCs may be contributing to the etiology of PASC.

Link | PDF (Mitochondrion)

2. SNT Gatchaman

Figure 4: Comparison of Mitochondrial Respiration between COVID-, COVID+ No PASC, and COVID+ PASC+.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 8.12.38 PM copy.jpg

alktipping likes this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

Selected, abridged quotes from discussion —

alktipping likes this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

cf An Isolated Complex V Inefficiency and Dysregulated Mitochondrial Function in Immortalized Lymphocytes from ME/CFS Patients (2020, International Journal of Molecular Sciences). That paper used EBV-immortalised lymphoblastoid cells and went in-depth into the components of the ETC, suggesting wide-scale compensations for impaired ATP production by complex V. This paper looks to be smaller in scale and doesn't focus on the components of the ETC, but does look to me to have some similar findings.

I didn't see any ME/CFS literature referenced and I don't think it was even mentioned, though they report that 75% of the patients had fatigue, 55% PEM, 65% orthostatic intolerance.

@DMissa previously you have commented on the importance of cell type, handling, timing of evaluation etc, so I don't know how this study should be viewed in comparison. These were "generic" PBMCs, frozen and shipped from Ohio to Hawaii.

EndME likes this.