1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amitriptyline Downregulates Chronic Inflammatory Response to Biomaterial in Mice, 2020, Scheuermann et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Oct 13, 2020.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes - usually given at low doses (10–25 mg) as oppossed to 50–250 mg for depression. Within the NHS, this is often the first medication given when presenting with ME/CFS or fibromyalgia. As with most of the recommendations, the evidence base is slim to non-existent.

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. This is what I've been told but I've heard doctors that ME patients won't take them because they're described as an anti depressant. Ignoring that it's the side effects from taking them that are the issue.

Mind you, I also had one doctor who wanted me to try an SSRI (can't remember which one now) but it was a whacking great dose. The sort of dose someone with primary depression would build up to & not appropriate for an ME patient. That kind of ignorance in prescribing doesn't help matters.

I have family members who suffer from a well understood & very painful condition who have been prescribed amitriptyline for pain relief.

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I actually did well on low-dose (20mcg per night if I remember correctly) Amitriptyline for a short time. It reduced pain and improved my sleeping. Unfortunately, within a few weeks my heart rate shot up to 150 beats per minute. Tachycardia is a known side-effect of the drug which is listed in the Patient Information Leaflet.

A few years later a doctor at a Pain Clinic I was referred to assured me that far fewer people got side effects from Nortriptyline than Amitriptyline and against my better judgement I tried it. Well, it turned out to be a slight improvement - my heart rate only rose to 135 beats per minute.

I don't recall any other adverse effects, and it did reduce my pain, so I was quite miffed that I couldn't keep taking it.

4. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surmontil being trimipramine, in case anyone's getting confused :) Been there, done that, got the T-shirt ...

5. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who the &^$ is your MD? If an Rx is obviously harming the patient, you don’t prescribe it. This is rather obvious.

6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if it's better for those with low heart rates in the first place, then?

I've also noticed that it warms me up a bit. I'm often sub-36 degrees Celsius, but I've noticed that rises immediately after taking amitriptyline to around 36.3.

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting idea. My heart rate has been quite high for years - at least the last 10 - 12 years I would say. It isn't that uncommon for me to have a heart rate over 90, but these days I take a small dose of a beta blocker if it goes too high. For me, life with a high heart rate (100+) is absolutely exhausting and makes it impossible to sleep. So, if I was to take a drug like amitriptyline, and it raises the heart rate, then I would be a prime candidate for my HR ending up much too fast.