1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

An Introduction To ME By Dr Hng

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Read the edition published April 2019, all together 117 pages. The text itself is approx 60-70 pages. In addition some pictures (10-15), sources, some recommendations and epilogue. Reading is a challenge, but at least this is an “easy” read.

First an introduction to her job as a doctor, the culture of “exhausted people working around the clock running around not noticing or paying attention if you yourself or any colleague” is ill, pretty much a description of what one could say is quite an unsatisfactory work climate pushing pushing and pushing. But that’s often how medicine often work, I guess. The possibility of a long bad initial phase is huge for anyone, cause of the combination of uncertainty and lack of knowledge, but what I think this part tell, is that the chance of coming down really hard is even huger, much due to the culture.

Then follows a thoughtful and good description of the everyday life and management of ME, great insight to the impact and severity, and how she takes part in her kids life, the many odd situations patients can relate to. Easily told with a touch of humor.

Its anecdotal by definition, but think it would be valuable, if the book is picked up and read by doctors. The greatest value is probably “this is one of our own”, “this could happen to anyone”. Not sure doctors believe the latter..but maybe they can believe that it could happen to someone close to them.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    oldtimer, Sly Saint, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Westerners often have difficulty pronouncing Oriental names. She may have take a Western name for that reason. A lot of the Oriental students I knew in school did that.

3. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Edit: Robin Brown = Dr Hng

This thread has been copied to create a new organisation thread: Doctors with ME

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2021
    DokaGirl, Mithriel, Sly Saint and 3 others like this.