Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence in the NICE guideline for (CFS & ME), 2023, White et al

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Three Chord Monty, Jul 11, 2023.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for your perseverance @MBailey and to those who helped.

I agree with the content of the original letter but I think the language in the revised version is more appropriate for a science journal and may therefore be more persuasive to those we are trying to enlighten.

Thanks again.

2. Robert 1973

I’ve just received the following reply from NICE:

On 20 Sep 2023, at 15:07, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) <nice@nice.org.uk> wrote:

Dear Robert

Thank you for contacting NICE.

You are welcome to share this response.

We expect to submit our response to the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry shortly. The date is to be confirmed but once published we will be able to signpost enquirers to the article.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards

Janet

Communications Executive
    National Institute for Health and Care Excellence”

I’m pleased that they are submitting their response to the JNNP. I assume that it will appear in the print edition not just as a rapid response, in which case it may be delayed by peer-review. I really hope it’s good as it needs to be and that it gets at least as much media coverage as the article it is responding to. I also hope “shortly” means weeks not months, years or indefinitely.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope some of the other people who made many solid points will consider re-submitting an edited version of their original submissions. My guess is the journal might not be interested in discussing what needs to go (the MEaction UK situation was unusual as the e-letter had been posted then removed).

Also note that with e-letters, you can send in more than one in reply to the same article. I have posted more than one many times to lots of different journals. I can’t remember all the reasons but I probably figured people might be more likely to read shorter submissions. Also you get to then have different titles and can concentrate on proving particular points and the like.

Peter Trewhitt, Ash, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I asked ChatGPT to identify the differences:

5. rvallee

The revised letter is not currently published.

I don't know how this is normally done, but I have sent a rapid response requesting an explanation for why my response was censored and will share the reply here. If I ever get one.

6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm confident it will be good. Peter Barry and Ilora Finlay no doubt helped write it, and they are very clued up. I am always impressed and awed by their level of detail and care.

7. Robert 1973

Yes, it’s great to have people like this on our side. One positive of all this is that they must be fully aware of what we’ve been up against now. It will be interesting to see how many people sign the NICE response. The contrast in the the conflicts of interest statements should be stark.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's up now. Thanks for getting a much-needed response up replying to this commentary :thumbup:
    https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/early/...atigue-syndrome-and-myalgic-encephalomyelitis

9. rvallee

They seem to have removed the notice about politeness and defamation.

10. rvallee

Hey, you! Be polite while being oppressed! And don't speak ill of your oppression.

11. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone needs to write a reply called "Anomalies in "Anomalies in the review process and interpretation of the evidence in the NICE guideline for chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis"".

12. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Yo Dawg. I herd you like anomalies, so we put anomalies in yo anomalies so you can fabricate while you collaborate and aggravate as you exaggerate."

Edit: reordered

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  13. rvallee

I almost did something like that :D

But these people have no sense of humor so I was as boring as possible. Still got censored...

14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Maybe @dave30th will consider using that suggested title on a blog

15. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would love that

16. MBailey

MBailey Established Member (Voting Rights)

NICE have now shared with us that they submitted their own rebuttal paper direct to the JNNP and are awaiting a response.
    Edit: They are happy for this to be public knowledge.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent. I hope JNNP publish it.

Peter Trewhitt, Ash, RedFox and 18 others like this.
  18. Robert 1973

I’m sure they will but it would be quite amusing and potentially helpful for us if they didn’t. Peter Barry et al can’t be silenced in the way we have been.

I just hope it’s as good as it needs to be. My expectations are unusually high.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
  19. rvallee

JNNP initially published only one letter, and it was the only one written by a MD who doesn't have ME. Although they didn't publish the one by the group of MDs with ME.

They haven't even replied to my request to explain why mine is censored. I think they'll publish this one as a normal letter, they just don't see us dumb patients as being worth listening.

20. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It has been submitted for review. Peter Barry said it was okay to tell people.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023